“They go the extra mile”
Review of Riverwalk Vista

Riverwalk Vista
Ranked #28 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 6 May 2009

This historic hotel has been redone in a way that keeps the ambiance but is very comfortable. The breakfast and wine hour are both quite good and appreciated. Rooms are spacious and neat. The bathrooms are pretty cool. Location is perfect and I appreciate the security. I left two dress shirts behind by mistake and they mailed them to me. I call that going the extra mile.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 April 2009

We stayed at this "hotel" for one night while visiting San Antonio and it was wonderful! The bed and pillows were very comfortable (if you like feather pillows) and the location was perfect for walking the Riverwalk. The only drawback was definitely the parking situation. The parking lot is not far, but with all the streets being one way streets, if you make one wrong move you have to drive out of your way to get back. Plus, that area of the city is so busy with traffic and pedestrians that you have a hard time getting in the correct lane and turning around corners. Other than that, the staff was extremely nice and welcoming and the shower/bathroom was terrific. There was a good deal of noise outside of our room (Houston suite) due to a very busy roundabout being right outside our window, but being that we had to get up at 3:30 AM for our flight to San Antonio that day, there wasn't much that was going to prevent us from sleeping. Breakfast was great as well. They had cereals, oatmeal, fruit, bagels, english muffins, yogurt, granola, pigs in a blanket, apple bread and butter, and plenty of juices and coffee to choose from.
All in all, we had a great stay at the Riverwalk Vista and we would recommend it to anyone!!
Also, as a little side note, we ate at the Rio Rio Cantina on the Riverwalk and we both thought the food was very good!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2009

I've stayed at the Riverwalk Vista five or six times. I love: the slate shower stalls with rainwater showerheads, the bath amenities in a useful plastic pack, the thick, plentiful towels and the robes, the large rooms and comfortable beds, the windows, the various lounge areas for private conversations, the meeting room with comfortable chairs, the excellent coffee, cookies and healthy breakfast, the staff, the tasteful furniture, art, pictures..... I have always stayed here with small meeting groups. This is the ideal site for 5-12 people to meet. The meeting room is ideal for a group of 10. You have the place pretty much to yourselves for after hours conversations, plus dependable wi-f and, the convenience of a guest room just steps from the meeting room. The location in SA is good: Schilo's German Deli, with superb cheap meals and draft beer, is just across the street (try the pea soup, the sauerbraten in the evening, the deviled eggs and the blackberry cobbler) and will cater your lunch. You can have a Riverwalk dinner or take a cab to La Fogata for the best Mexican. Sights including the Alamo are close at hand. I keep bringing groups here because the combination of the comfort of the hotel and the interesting surroundings are unbeatable.

As for the negative comments below: maybe it's because I'm from New York, but the street noise has never bothered me. This week was fiesta, but the double glazed windows kept my Riverwalk-facing room quiet. I do agree that the guest rooms could use a bit more light. We New Yorkers wear only black, and it was hard to tell my various black garments apart in the room.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Achillea
Reviewed 13 April 2009

This is really one of the nicer boutique hotels I've ever stayed in. I love how they stayed true to the building's history while modernizing it. As someone else noted, it's very upscale yet casual without being either modern/cold or fussy/feminine as these sorts of places tend to be. The breakfast was great as were the homemade cookies at the end of the day.

The location on the Riverwalk is perfect. Just walk across the street and down some steps and you're close to all kinds of restaurants. Close to the convention center and the downtown bus. You might think it would be noisy in this location, but the glass in those fabulous floor to ceiling windows guarantees peace and quiet.

However, with all the hotel had going for it, I have to admit my arrival did not go smoothly. The entry is very discreet. You really have to be looking for it as it's basically some potted plants next to a stairwell. It looks like the entry to an apartment building. If you've never been there before expect to circle the block a few times before you find it.

There is no parking. Not even valet, which would have been very welcome the night I arrived -- a jamming Friday night with bumper to bumper traffic all through the area. I had to pull into a loading zone for the business next door, dump my suitcase on the sidewalk for the manager to take upstairs and drive around and around looking for a parking spot. The parking garage the manager directed me to was completely full as was every other parking garage in the vicinity., including the one at the mall I had to park in a somewhat questionable lot and walk back in the dark down a side street. In all fairness, I was able to move the car to the closer garage the next day and didn't have any more trouble after that. But really, they should have some type of valet service at an establishment of this type and in this busy area. If I stay here again, I'll skip the rental car and just take a cab from the airport.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank trinitymills
Reviewed 14 March 2009

Right at home ON the River Walk. We stayed for business and leisure. Best location (a few blocks to all things), best hospitality, best breakfast and perks. Price is reasonable for San Antonio downtown. Rooms are huge and sumptuous while not being "fussy or particularly feminine"...male and female will appreciate the decor. Staff is extremely courteous, friendly, and helpful. Baths are upscale, but a tad shy on lighting...truly our only negative comment. Parking is offsite BUT less than a block, paid separate daily rate (currently $12).You can trust you'll get your money's worth and completely immerse yourself in San Antonio while staying here. NOTE: If you get a chance, skip out of town to the missions and SeaWorld...worth the extra effort.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank fjfh
Reviewed 13 March 2009

I tend to book offbeat boutique hotels or bed and breakfasts - even for business trips - b/c I love the experience. The Riverwalk Vista was a great place to stay on my recent trip to San Antonio, Texas - where I had a conference just across the street and the convention center. Our room was amazing - the highest ceilings, enormous windors, classic furnishings and gorgous bathrooms. We stayed in suite - 2 full bathrooms, huge really and loads of extras. The very best part of this bed and breakfast is the service - the inn keepers and their employees. They were super friendly, down-to-earth and very helpful to a San Antonio newcomer. Also LOVED the breakfasts, cookie time and wine hour(s) - truly a great experience. The only bad thing about the Riverwalk Vista was the noise from the super busy intersection below, but this was an easy trade-off for the location.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank sahahn
Reviewed 12 March 2009

This location is great! It is next to the Riverwalk and a block from the Alamo and other downtown locations. This hotel is a unique experience. It is a converted warehouse - high ceilings, exposed brick, large windows. The other reviewers are right about a noise factor. We stayed on the third floor. The "white noise" machine is the air conditioner, which does drown out some of it. The teddy bear is a cute touch and the fish is a fun addition. Afternoon cookies and evening wine. The breakfasts are excellent. LOVED the shower.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple