“Fantastic stay, lovely location, quiet and fun honeymoon”
Review of Riverwalk Vista

Riverwalk Vista
Ranked #29 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Both my wife and I loved our stay at this historic hotel. It is located in the heart of the city, right next to the riverwalk, the Alamo, La Villita, and other San Antonio sites. There is street noise because the hotel is in the center of downtown and all its action. We both thought that this only added to the experience of being in town. The room was well-appointed and the breakfast was simple, but nice. We loved walking out the hotel door and into the middle of everything. We would both recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a charming, unique hotel experience rather than the bland, vanilla experience available at any of the nearby chain hotels. Thank you Riverwalk Vista for a wonderful stay, and boo to any of your detractors!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hiketexas

Reviewed 19 June 2009

My husband and I visited San Antonio the week of May 11th to celebrate our anniversary. Based on other TripAdvisor reviews, we decided to stay at the Riverwalk Vista and were so glad that we did. The building itself is historic and quite charming. Fortunately, the rooms were updated with modern, elegant bathrooms, comfortable beds, air conditioning, TV with CD/DVD/VCR player, and high-speed Internet. When we arrived, the woman who greeted us showed us our room and gave us a short orientation. When we asked for restaurant recommendations, she sat with us as we flipped through the Concierge book and gave us very helpful information. When I was having trouble with a slow wireless connection one day, one of the staff loaned me an ethernet cable for the duration of the visit. The breakfast is advertised as a continental breakfast, but was much more than the usual pastries, cereal, juice, and coffee. In addition to several cereal selections (including granola), we had fresh, juicy fruit, one hot item that varied each day, and a small selection of homemade sweets. (I overheard one of the staff member say that she baked banana bread that morning when she noticed that the bananas were getting overripe. It was delicious.) The room where we ate was large enough so everyone could spread out. We enjoyed the homemade, warm cookies every afternoon as well as the compimentary wine. One day, we were caught in a downpour and were quite grateful for the plush robes when we returned to the inn. The inside of the inn was quiet; we never heard other guests coming or going. However, there is a lot of street noise that can be mostly mitigated by the white noise machine in the room.

We chose not to rent a car for our visit and didn't miss having one. We were able to walk most places and the bus/trolley system is cheap and convenient. There were a lot of restaurants to choose from within walking distance and not all were on the Riverwalk.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LindaPTucson
Reviewed 7 June 2009

We visited San Antonio with friends. This was a wonderful location to stay. We were directly across from the Riverwalk. The rooms were beautifully decorated with plush bedding (wonderful pillows!) The slate shower was awesome and we really loved the nice towels and complimentary robes. The evening reception with wine, lemonade and cookies was a nice perk. The breakfast each morning was delicious. We enjoyed the variety of foods available to us. One morning we had empanadas and the next morning we had kolaches. Each morning we enjoyed a variety of fruits, cereals, yogurt, bagels, english muffins, and toast just to name a few items. Previous reviews had complained about the parking, but we did not find that to be a problem. The parking garage is within eyesight of the front entrance of the building. Once we arrived we never moved our car again until we left San Antonio. We were within walking distance of everything. It was an awesome trip and we will definitely return to the Riverwalk Vista to stay in the future!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank kcg0223
Reviewed 6 May 2009

This historic hotel has been redone in a way that keeps the ambiance but is very comfortable. The breakfast and wine hour are both quite good and appreciated. Rooms are spacious and neat. The bathrooms are pretty cool. Location is perfect and I appreciate the security. I left two dress shirts behind by mistake and they mailed them to me. I call that going the extra mile.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2009

We stayed at this "hotel" for one night while visiting San Antonio and it was wonderful! The bed and pillows were very comfortable (if you like feather pillows) and the location was perfect for walking the Riverwalk. The only drawback was definitely the parking situation. The parking lot is not far, but with all the streets being one way streets, if you make one wrong move you have to drive out of your way to get back. Plus, that area of the city is so busy with traffic and pedestrians that you have a hard time getting in the correct lane and turning around corners. Other than that, the staff was extremely nice and welcoming and the shower/bathroom was terrific. There was a good deal of noise outside of our room (Houston suite) due to a very busy roundabout being right outside our window, but being that we had to get up at 3:30 AM for our flight to San Antonio that day, there wasn't much that was going to prevent us from sleeping. Breakfast was great as well. They had cereals, oatmeal, fruit, bagels, english muffins, yogurt, granola, pigs in a blanket, apple bread and butter, and plenty of juices and coffee to choose from.
All in all, we had a great stay at the Riverwalk Vista and we would recommend it to anyone!!
Also, as a little side note, we ate at the Rio Rio Cantina on the Riverwalk and we both thought the food was very good!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2009

I've stayed at the Riverwalk Vista five or six times. I love: the slate shower stalls with rainwater showerheads, the bath amenities in a useful plastic pack, the thick, plentiful towels and the robes, the large rooms and comfortable beds, the windows, the various lounge areas for private conversations, the meeting room with comfortable chairs, the excellent coffee, cookies and healthy breakfast, the staff, the tasteful furniture, art, pictures..... I have always stayed here with small meeting groups. This is the ideal site for 5-12 people to meet. The meeting room is ideal for a group of 10. You have the place pretty much to yourselves for after hours conversations, plus dependable wi-f and, the convenience of a guest room just steps from the meeting room. The location in SA is good: Schilo's German Deli, with superb cheap meals and draft beer, is just across the street (try the pea soup, the sauerbraten in the evening, the deviled eggs and the blackberry cobbler) and will cater your lunch. You can have a Riverwalk dinner or take a cab to La Fogata for the best Mexican. Sights including the Alamo are close at hand. I keep bringing groups here because the combination of the comfort of the hotel and the interesting surroundings are unbeatable.

As for the negative comments below: maybe it's because I'm from New York, but the street noise has never bothered me. This week was fiesta, but the double glazed windows kept my Riverwalk-facing room quiet. I do agree that the guest rooms could use a bit more light. We New Yorkers wear only black, and it was hard to tell my various black garments apart in the room.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Achillea
Reviewed 13 April 2009

This is really one of the nicer boutique hotels I've ever stayed in. I love how they stayed true to the building's history while modernizing it. As someone else noted, it's very upscale yet casual without being either modern/cold or fussy/feminine as these sorts of places tend to be. The breakfast was great as were the homemade cookies at the end of the day.

The location on the Riverwalk is perfect. Just walk across the street and down some steps and you're close to all kinds of restaurants. Close to the convention center and the downtown bus. You might think it would be noisy in this location, but the glass in those fabulous floor to ceiling windows guarantees peace and quiet.

However, with all the hotel had going for it, I have to admit my arrival did not go smoothly. The entry is very discreet. You really have to be looking for it as it's basically some potted plants next to a stairwell. It looks like the entry to an apartment building. If you've never been there before expect to circle the block a few times before you find it.

There is no parking. Not even valet, which would have been very welcome the night I arrived -- a jamming Friday night with bumper to bumper traffic all through the area. I had to pull into a loading zone for the business next door, dump my suitcase on the sidewalk for the manager to take upstairs and drive around and around looking for a parking spot. The parking garage the manager directed me to was completely full as was every other parking garage in the vicinity., including the one at the mall I had to park in a somewhat questionable lot and walk back in the dark down a side street. In all fairness, I was able to move the car to the closer garage the next day and didn't have any more trouble after that. But really, they should have some type of valet service at an establishment of this type and in this busy area. If I stay here again, I'll skip the rental car and just take a cab from the airport.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business