“An excellent value IF you buy the package deal.”

Mokara Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Columbus, Ohio
“An excellent value IF you buy the package deal.”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We spent 3 nights at this lovely property and enjoyed it immensely. The “rejuvenation package” was $359 and included a standard room, free valet parking ($32 value/night), free breakfast ($35-$60 value), and $150 spa credit per night. Ultimately, the room $127/night + taxes which is a GREAT VALUE!
The Valet parking was friendly and extremely efficient both in dropping off the car and calling for the car.
The breakfast was beyond expectations. Two days we had breakfast in Ostra and had a buffet selection for $17/person and they would serve pancakes and French toast from the kitchen. Buffet isn’t a great term to describe the breakfast offered; it was classy and elegant and had a lot of high end selections of cheeses, fruits, jams, butters, omelet station, fabulous blueberry sausage and crispy bacon. The French toast was fabulous! One morning we had room service breakfast (before our spa appointments) and that was also above expectations and included for no charge (except tip) with the daily breakfast package.
The room (273) was a nice size and we upgraded to the balcony river view for $100 night. The hardwood in the room was nice (vs. carpet) but was stained, scratched and filled and could have used refinishing. The bed—HEAVENLY linens, very comfortable! The in room espresso machine was a very nice touch. The TV wasn’t a flat screen and I would upgrade this if I ran the property. The furniture in the room was nice and comfy, the lamps a little worn. The internet in the room was sporadic. Sine we had a street/river front room, there were times that it was noisy and if you are sensitive to noise, I would move to a higher floor.
In the bathroom, we loved the jetted tub for two in the and the victorian faucet to fill it. The marble décor was nice and neutral and made the bath feel clean. The vanity and fixtures were nice and the ability to dim the lighting was nice. Our only outlet in the bathroom did not work the first day but was fixed after we reported the issue to the front desk. The shower was nice and the showerhead had excellent flow and the volume control function was nice. The shower could have been larger to accommodate two people.
At the spa, m husband and I booked a 50 minute couples massage which was FABULOUS. We then had lunch at the rooftop pool (which we loved) and came back down to enjoy the spa amenities individually before our afternoon facials. The spa amenities included a steam room, sauna, hot tub, shower, lockers, relaxation room etc. I was disappointed in some of the details/upkeep at the spa including the hot tub area where the ceiling was somewhat dirty and the “candles” on the wall burnt out. Additionally, in the relaxation room, we could hear every customers being given the tour, toilets flushing, showers, etc. The biggest disappointment of all is the lack of unisex/couples space. My husband and I could not use the amenities together and only the massage offered couples time together. I believe the lack of couples amenities is a big negative for this spa and the attention to details sometimes seemed overlooked.
The Service at this property was Excellent!!! from Check in, check out, restaurant, room service, housekeeping, spa, pool—a great team has been assembled at this hotel and is very customer focused. Standouts include Kate at Ostra (breakfast), Carol at the rooftop café/bar, Robert at the spa, and an older friendly lady at the pool changing the chair covers. They all had that extra special genuine touch truly happy personalities-- wanting the guest to experience to be extremely positive.
I would stay here again with a package deal, I would have been disappointed if we had paid $299/night just for the room. However, the staff is wonderful and the location on the river walk is great.

3 Thank vacationloverOh
John W, General Manager at Mokara Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Thank you for being our guest and for sharing your experience. We are so pleased to know you enjoyed the hotel and spa. We are also excited to let you know that we will be renovating the guestrooms over the next few months to include new bedding, furniture, carpeting, LCD televisions and even re-finishing of the wood floor you noted. While we are a bit limited on space to extend our couples relaxation area, we will also be refurnishing that room. Thank you for again for allowing us to serve you. I assure you we will use your comments and observations in our ongoing efforts to improve Mokara.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Beautiful hotel with a very traditional feel. Dark cherry, heavy draperies, perfect service. The guest rooms do not dissapoint and are full of all of the needs of a 5-diamod traveler. I originally had booked a room at Hotel Contessa, which was nice, but could not accomodate a last minute spa appointment request so the Concierge at Hotel Contessa booked a massage for me at Mokara. I walked into Mokara and realized I had made a mistake in my hotel selection. I inquired at the front desk about availablity and within 20 minutes, a bellman from Mokara had been dispatched to Hotel Contessa to retrieve my bags and moved them to my new room at Mokara. I had an 80-minute herbal white lavendar massage with Diane who I cannot speak of highly enough. After my massage, I shopped in the spa retail area and bought some Christmas gifts from an awesome selection of yoga clothing, sleepwear, and every premium bath/body/facial product imaginable. Then I headed off to dinner at Ostra where Kerry, an awesome Bartender took great care of me. I even met Javier Vasquez, Sous Chef extraordinaire, who personally came out to meet me during dinner and told me about his recent trip to France where he had some wonderful culinary experiences that have shaped the restaurant's menu since his return. When I retired to my room, a room attendant had turned down the bed, straightened my bathroom toiletries, and placed a sign on the bathtub offering bath butler service, which I of course could not refuse. What an experience from start to finish. I travel 90% of the time and although I don't ever take the time to trash a hotel the way I see some others do, I always take the time to tell the good stories where they are deserved. Thank you, Mokara, for helping me tell your story! Please keep up the good work and I will see you again soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a riverfront room.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Tripologies
Jericho, New York
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I stayed at this property during business. During prior visits to San Antonio I was at the Hyatt and Hilton, but these do not compare to the Mokara. The room was very lavishly appointed. With a 12 foot try ceiling, the room was vast. Mine was a corner room on the 6th floor, with huge windows on two sides of the room. The nightstand lights were dimmable. Nice touch.

Note that rooms on the fifth floor on down that do not face River Walk or the opposte side may face a closely spaced brick wall of another building.

The fitness center has among the most advanced equipment for a hotel. It's near the rooftop pool and hot tub.

Bonus feature: an in-room Nespresso coffee maker.

Special thanks to the reservation staff when I called to book the hotel: I was offered membership in Omni's Select Guest program. This got me gold level membership and free Wi-Fi.

Room Tip: If not a River Walk view, ask for a room on the 6th flloor and above.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Rob676
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 15 November 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Mokara for three nights while in San Antonio, and the experience was amazing! Rooms are spacious and clean, the beds are so comfortable, the gym is great, and the location is fabulous! A quick walk to the Alamo and very easy access to the Riverwalk area. The staff was wonderful and gave us great recommendations for restaurants to check out. We will definitely stay here again if we return to San Antonio!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 November 2011

This was our first time to San Antonio and stayed at this wonderful hotel. From the excellent room to the most friendly and efficient staff, we were extremely satisfied with this hotel. Would definitely recommend to anyone.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 14 November 2011

If you're considering San Antonio for a corporate meeting or event - Mokara is a must. Not only is it the only truly boutique hotel on the Riverwalk, as a sister hotel to La Mansion, event planners have two properties to work with - located directly across from each other. Our small team of 30 felt pampered at Mokara, but the flexibility of the location made event planning a breeze. Our event was the first week of November. Weather was gorgeous! I'd also suggest working with Capers Event Company if you need any help planning team outings. Jean and her team have the pulse on the city and great imagination!

Room Tip: Riverwalk views are great - not a must have. If you're spending that much time in the room you...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank CatheAtlanta_GA
Morfelden-Walldorf, Germany
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Having traveled many locations around the US and Europe this was the best hotel experience thus far. The staff goes out of their way to make you feel welcomed and special. The spa is incredible! If you're looking for a wonderful experience don't miss an opportunity to stay at the Mokara!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple