“Very happy with Mokara”

Ranked #2 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston
“Very happy with Mokara”
Reviewed 5 August 2012

My family just returned from a stay at Mokara Hotel and Spa. Everything was outstanding there. We were most impressed when my daughter scraped her toe when she was coming in from the balcony and it split her toenail. She was in a lot of pain and crying. They immediately sent ice to our room, medical supplies to wrap the toe, and followed up with two phone calls to make sure she was OK. They went above and beyond to be sensitive to our needs. That's really great service that I know would be uncommon at most large hotels.

We ate breakfast in their restaurant and it was very good. We also used the gym and it was really well equipped. Our only complaint was the gym was too warm, but we were using it in the afternoon when the sun was pouring in the huge windows. I think if they had staff close the draperies when the sun is pouring in, it would help keep the room cool. Other than that, we loved using the facility.

We didn't get to use the pool but it looked very nice.

The room was nicely decorated and it had a ceiling fan. We enjoyed the balcony, even though it was a bit small for 3 people to use. We stayed over on a Saturday and the "partying" was loud until very late on the riverwalk below, but the room was well-insulated from the noise so we could all sleep.

We will be back!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
NJ
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We absolutely LOVED Mokara. Would go back in a heartbeat. Perfect location on the riverwalk and a fantastic spa. Philip the concierge is over the top! Our room was on the spa floor with a balcony overlooking the riverwalk that we really enjoyed. My husband works for a 4 diamond hotel in the Metro NY area, so we're picky and we notice everything. Mokara exceeded expectations in every way. I couldn't recommend highly enough!!

Room Tip: Definitely request a room with a balcony over the riverwalk - well worth it!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Ft Laud
Reviewed 30 July 2012 via mobile

This is probably downtown's most well appointed and upscale hotel. Located on the Riverwalk and very elegant. The staff is first class (shows the excellent training they have received). I have allergy needs with my linens/towels and they could not have been more accomodating. Other first rate hotels can take lessons from the folks here at Mokara. Very good and reasonably priced breakfasts at Ostra. The rooms were beautiful and well maintained. This is your place to stay while in San Antonio.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 30 July 2012

The Mokara is the best Hotel by the Riverwalk the rooms are well furnished , the bathroom had a seperate shower and jaccuzi bath.
The staff were all very nice and pleasant . The restaraunt on the Riverwalk was great for breakfast .
Only one suggestions for the hotel . Improve the Wifi which was hard to connect to with an IPAD .
Other than that it is a very nice hotel , the rooms with balconys over the Riverwalk are worth the extra

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We went here last weekend for our 2nd wedding anniversary and it was fantastic! There was a nice card with champagne and strawberries and the concierge said the valet parking was on the house too. We ordered room service and it was delicious, too.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GeoBestie
New Braunfels, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We've stayed here a number of times, and we always recommend it to people who visit with us. Think small boutique hotel with Four Seasons service and accommodations. From the moment you walk in, you know you've picked the right hotel. Right on the River Walk central to everything San Antonio has to offer. Make sure to get a room with a balcony overlooking the River Walk for the ultimate in romance and people gazing. Food is top notch, and the rooms, though not large enough for a family getaway, are perfect for two and exude elegance. Don't make the mistake of booking elsewhere in San Antonio - you WANT to stay here - and the prices are ridiculously low for the value you are getting.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Midwest US
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Recently had a three night stay at the Mokara for a business meeting. The group I'm with usually stays at either Hilton or Marriott properties so this was a change. After staying here, it will be tough to go back to the old routine for our next meeting location. As the name says, there is definitely a huge spa aspect to this hotel...something you're not going to see at a typical hotel.

Check-In was quick and the person behind the counter was very friendly. She even escorted me to the elevator, showed me how to use my room card for accessing the floors and then got me on my way. The room was great. My biggest issue when I travel is looking to see how clean the room is. I was not disappointed here. The room was clean...really clean. The room was fairly standard...bed, desk area, flat screen tv. The bathroom is where this place excelled. It was huge...all tiled floor, glass door walk-in shower, separate toilet room and a giant tub. Really a high quality atmosphere.

The meeting room area was nice and our group was able to secure wi-fi access without any issues. The hotel does offer guests free wi-fi, but coverage in my room was spotty at best.

I did not use any of the spa services so I cannot recommend whether it was good or not, but I did pass by the spa area several times and it looked very classy. I also did not dine in the hotel, but they do have a very nice looking restaurant on the bottom level.

The hotel is located right in the river walk area. Go out bottom level access and you're on the river walk, so you can't beat that.

Overall, I would have to say this is one of the nicer hotels I have ever stayed in. Got spoiled a little bit and now it's back to the ho-hum Marriott and Hilton properties.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business