“Very nice, but overpriced”

Mokara Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Fancy Gap, Virginia
“Very nice, but overpriced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

This boutique hotel on the Riverwalk, was everything you could want in a hotel. neat, clean, nice location, frendly staff, upscale dining and close to most downtown attractions. However, the rooms are very small and the balcony is tiny. Not the type balcony that you feel comfortable standing on, especially on an upper floor. Have stayed at other hotels that were just as nice for a lot less money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank kntdds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Houston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

My friend and I spent a weekend at the hotel and spa in November. We booked three treatments each and had a nice time. My facial and massage were good and my friend said her massage was one of the best she'd ever had. However, I had a truly dismal pedicure. However, that is not what made me rate the facility poorly. After my pedicure polish practically disappeared the day after I had it, I went to the salon seeking a fix. I was told I could repair the polish myself, which was fine, I hadn't made an appointment for a redo. However, no apologies were made and I was told it was essentially my fault-how it would be, I'm not sure, I didn't put on shoes and walk around with wet toes etc. Again, not a big deal, but disappointing. What was a bid deal and makes me not want to ever go back was the fact I wrote a note explaining this and didn't even get a response from the spa manager. After spending $1000, you would think such a letter would warrant a response. Hotel was nice and ideally situated.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank jcgstir
JDeBottis, Manager at Mokara Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear jcg2725,

Thank you for your review and my true apologies for the issue you encountered with your nail polish on your pedicure. We take these lapses very seriously and always take great pride in providing great service toward our guests. I have followed up with the Spa Director and would love the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your experience. Again, thank you for your review and your positive comments regarding the hotel portion of your stay, I look forward to speaking with you soon.

All the best,

Josh DeBottis
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Believe everything you read about Mokara. I've stayed at many highly rated hotels in San Antonio, and Mokara is unquestionably at the top of my list. It starts with superior service - over the top attention to detail. We were walked to the elevator during check-in by a member of the desk staff, and later - accompanied by a doorman down to the riverwalk level of the hotel as he provided us with food and drink suggestions. It wasn't pushy or uncomfortable service - just enough to make you feel welcome. Our room was spectacular - really well appointed and luxurious (with the exception of the clearly dated telephones, which oddly stuck out in an otherwise sensational room). It's not cheap to stay at Mokara, but in this case - you most definitely get what you pay for.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rdooz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

I got a suite for my wife's birthday celebration and 3 couples got rooms as well. we all agreed it was a delight, and we will be coming back annually. the rooms were clean and elegant, the staff could not be more cheerful and helpful. we had dinner at las canarias (at the Omni sister hotel across the river) and breakfast at the hotel restaurant. both were excellant. Almost forgot, the spa was spectacular and even the hotel exercise room was a cut above the usual.

chandler, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

This has to be the best hotel on the river walk. it is a bit pricey, but if you want the best its worth it. The food was excellent and the service was prompt. Parking was pricey (35.00 a day) but all the hotels charge.

1 Thank Joseph H
Sun Lakes Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Excellent hotel!! The staff are very friendly and helpful especially Petra,the concierge, who is very knowledgeable about restaurants and sights to see.A room on the riverwalk is a must,as the view is spectacular. To our surprise there was a bottle of champagne, as well as chocolate covered strawberries,raspberries, blueberries in our room as it was my wife's 70th birthday. We enjoyed a wonderful dinner at the Ostra(Mokara restaurant) on the patio of the riverwalk. Each night a bottle of water was provided on our bedside table along with the bed being turned down.What a nice touch. We would definitely stay at the Mokara on future trips to San Antonio.

1 Thank Charles L
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Wow! We have stayed in hotels around the world and Mokara is a great boutique hotel in everyday. Elizabeth our housekeeper was very professional, kind and keep our room 673 very clean. Very clean. The front staff so so wonderful. Thank you micheal for the recommending
Madhatters Cafe for brunch. He was a wonderful source of information and front door man.
Our upgrade to view the river walk was GREAT. Thank you and we will be back.

Room Tip: 673 was a wonderful room with a view