“Wonderful Hotel...beware of Spa Facials”

Mokara Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband booked us at this resort for our 1st ann. I was shocked when we walked in. The rooms were amazing. The staff sooooo nice and accommodating. For the price and the high rating I did expect almost perfection though. The towels were very rough. The roes rough and small. Tub drain wouldn't seal so missed out on a long relaxing bath before checkout. But really that is me being picky. One of my Spa services on the other hand was another issue. My husband got me a 3 service package. Massage, facial, and mani. The massage was great and so was the mani. The facial was the worst I've ever experienced. The technician used hand towels to wipe the face. The same rough ones in the guest rooms. When she did my scrub she used the towel to scrub some more. She scrubbed so hard my face was red and sore when I got up. I've had chemical peels and several facials around the world with no reactions. I had to leave the spa and put a cool rag on my face for several minutes. I then went back down for my mani. When I checked out after all my services I let the receptionist at the spa know I was not happy with the facial. She tried to argue with me that it was the products. In the end she did apologize and remove the charge from my bill but I just warn anyone going for a facial. My dermatologist confirms that hand towels should not be used on the face.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Mokara Hotel and Spa

Reviewed 13 April 2014

This was an elegant and charming hotel with wonderful service, but that does have a price and one should not complain about that. The rooms were and furnishings were clean and comfortable. We were delighted with the menu selection, food quality and service in the Restaurant Ostia. The location is great in the center on the River Walk. I cannot praise the quality and service from the staff enough.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The hotel itself is nice and comfortable; however the service is above anything that I have ever experienced and I would Highly recommend this establishment. The kids were happy, the husband was happy and I was happy - that is hard to do.

1  Thank Y2179JVstephanies
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My 2nd time to San Antonio but first time staying at Mokara. It was fantastic! From the friendly service to great location. The price for what you get is more than fair. We had a 9 & 13 year old with us and I was worried about it not being kid friendly but I was pleasantly surprised the kids felt special from the hotel too! Amazing trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room floors 3-5.
1  Thank Puyalluptraveler2014
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Excellent hospitality from hotel, valet, spa and restaurant staff. Spa is very well designed to make the most of treatments. Really enjoyed the amenities in the spa. Rooms were beautiful and a well stocked mini fridge.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This hotel is worth every penny--get a room on a high floor facing the Riverwalk and enjoy. Every detail is first class. The staff know and practice old fashion customer service without being 'to much' or 'hovering'. It's quiet, very clean and the details are thought out. Fresh bottles of water and ice at turn down, bath supplies re-stocked every day, outlets where you can use them (and more than one), all lights are on dimmer switches, the shower has fabulous pressure and a well stocked mini-bar. Breakfast in the restaurant is amazing, dinner was disappointing. (Quality, price and service.) Valet parking is a little over the top at $35/night. But, its a place you can just relax and enjoy. Try it out at least once!

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Great, comfortable beautiful hotel on the Riverwalk in San Antonio. Concierge contacted me prior to arrival to see if I needed anything. Rooms are very large and the bathrooms are spacious. Staff is excellent Food is excellent Great location on the Riverwalk

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business