“lush and luxurious” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Spring Lake, Michigan
“lush and luxurious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

First of all, if you are one of those people where money isn't an object, stay here at this hotel and skip the rest of my review. If you are just a regular person looking to splurge a little, read on. The hotel location is perfect, steps from the Riverwalk. The staff here is amazing, the are friendly and polite. I spoke to them everyday. They would offer to grab me coffee on my way out in the morning, gave me restaurant recommendations, etc. They are really outstanding. The rooms are amazing, the beds were great, the bathroom was huge, plenty of towels, robes, slippers, the works. GREAT coffee in the morning. I never tried the restaurant or spa. You need to keep your room key with you at all times, the elevators won't work without them. I spent some time on the roof at the lounge, pool, and hot tub. Great view, and they have food and beverage service up there. The only negative thing I can come up with is the lack of any kind of shuttle service to and from the airport. It would have been a big help. They were willing to arrange a cab for us, but it would have been pretty expensive.Some of the demeanor of some of the other guests I spoke with was a little uppity. I came back to the hotel after a whole day out sightseeing. I was looking a little worn out I am sure, but nothing horrendous and I got the "look" in the elevator. The one that says "who let you in here?'. I was heading back to my room to clean up I wasn't going to loiter about the lobby or anything. It seems that some really wealthy and beautiful people stay at this hotel. There is a certain "air" about the place.

Room Tip: The streets can get a little noisy at night because you are right on the Riverwalk, keep that in min...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

The Mokara was the first of many hotels my boyfriend and I have stayed over the past eight months; our stay was August 2013. It's a romantic place to stay, the furnishings and accommodations are beautiful; the overall environment is elegant. We really enjoyed being able to walk out the front doors and be on the river.We had a late night cocktail at Ostra, again, swanky, stylish ambiance. We had the rooftop pool all to ourselves early Sunday morning, the hot tub and pool were equally enjoyable. A lot of reviewers talk about over-the-top service, we didn't experience that and I was almost expecting it after reading such a high-volume of reviews suggesting such. Please don't get me wrong, we weren't treated in an ill manner at all, we we just almost ignored, which was perfect for us. I'm certain should we have required any level of personal attention and/or service we would have been pleased with the Mokara's response. enjoy yourself!

Room Tip: we loved the city view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Morton Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

The hotel is lovely. The bathroom was huge! The beds were very comfortable. The rooftop deck was amazing. The entire staff was very attentive. The spa is the best I have ever been to. Even if I did not stay in the hotel again I would definitely visit the spa.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Dallas, Tx, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Although,The staff was always courteous. The experience was not to standard. The room service was great, Spa experience with lunch on the rooftop was amazing however extra paid amenities were not provided, yet still charged room wet bar was non existent, nor was it provided when contacting guest services. While relaxing in bathroom whirlpool noticed someone else's fingernail with pink polish floating. Gross... Informed front desk, which said they would report it to higher management... After receiving final billing receipt, their was an addition $100 charge that was billed to my account from hotel but not included in final receipt. Since I have checked out. No one could explain... I left message with billing to resolve on Monday... This hotel is about having a relaxing experience valet parking is recommended. Unless you enjoy having intoxicated people making cat calls, while self parking in a paid non affiliated parking lot across the street. Very creepy...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Jennifer S
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

A perfect Anniversary stay. The luxurious Hotel Mokara is the place to stay in San Antonio, located on the Riverwalk, the hotel has an excellent restauant, beautiful rooms, gracious staff. Why go anywhere else!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Lakehills, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband booked us at this resort for our 1st ann. I was shocked when we walked in. The rooms were amazing. The staff sooooo nice and accommodating. For the price and the high rating I did expect almost perfection though. The towels were very rough. The roes rough and small. Tub drain wouldn't seal so missed out on a long relaxing bath before checkout. But really that is me being picky. One of my Spa services on the other hand was another issue. My husband got me a 3 service package. Massage, facial, and mani. The massage was great and so was the mani. The facial was the worst I've ever experienced. The technician used hand towels to wipe the face. The same rough ones in the guest rooms. When she did my scrub she used the towel to scrub some more. She scrubbed so hard my face was red and sore when I got up. I've had chemical peels and several facials around the world with no reactions. I had to leave the spa and put a cool rag on my face for several minutes. I then went back down for my mani. When I checked out after all my services I let the receptionist at the spa know I was not happy with the facial. She tried to argue with me that it was the products. In the end she did apologize and remove the charge from my bill but I just warn anyone going for a facial. My dermatologist confirms that hand towels should not be used on the face.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Cleveland OH, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

This was an elegant and charming hotel with wonderful service, but that does have a price and one should not complain about that. The rooms were and furnishings were clean and comfortable. We were delighted with the menu selection, food quality and service in the Restaurant Ostia. The location is great in the center on the River Walk. I cannot praise the quality and service from the staff enough.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple