“Top Location, Great Spa”

Mokara Hotel and Spa
Ranked #2 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 18 April 2009

We wanted a relaxation break on our trip and we got it at the Watermark -- a fine and luxurious facility. The spa is spacious and very well equipped -- perhaps the best we've ever used. The location, right on the river walk, could not be better. The staff pampered us. Food in the river walk restaurant was not great but good. The atmosphere made up for what was a bit lacking in some of the food. Breakfast, however, was very good. Oddly, the hotel has no business center though guests may use the one in the sister hotel across the bridge. Parking at $28 per night ain't cheap but the valet service for the car was fast, efficient, and friendly.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dwsact

Reviewed 1 April 2009

I stayed at the Watermark during Spring Break 2009, and I have to say I was blown away. The Watermark is a classy hotel, appointed beautifully and tastefully with the essence of Texas and the original building's past, while still upholding a standard parallel to any of the world's finest hotels. The service we experienced was quick, friendly, and always got it right. They just made it seem effortless.

We also enjoyed Pesca, the hotel's seafood restaurant on the Riverwalk. Better than the excellent service at Pesca, however was the Watermark Spa. The spa takes up the entire second floor of the hotel, and features an experienced team of professionals to make your every "spa desire" a reality. This was the highlight of our entire trip to San Antonio. Even if you choose not to stay at the Watermark, (it is a little pricey), I do recommend that you make use of either the world-class spa or Pesca.

On the roof of the hotel is the pool, and a small cafe with a beautiful view of the city. The pool is small, but heated and big enough to get a quick dip and cool off. The lobby is stunning, and I believe it's one of the only or the only hotel with its lobby facing the Riverwalk.

The Watermark is a sister to the La Mansion hotel, located just across the river and La Mansion features Las Canarias, another fantastic restaurant that I recommend.

The guest rooms we had included one double and one king. The view from the double room was not great, (a building, very very close), but what can you expect in a major city?! The view from the king, however, was fantastic. It featured a private balcany and looked over the city. This hotel, like all on the river, charge more for a "riverview." The rooms were very well appointed with high ceilings, an esspresso machine, safe and desk. They also had a mini-fridge with charge-up items. I would recommend requesting a high floor, 6th story or above, if you are not getting the Riverview room... this way you will not have a view of only the brickwall next to you.

Overall, we can't say enough good things about our stay at the Watermark. We will be back!!!

Oh, and one more thing... the hotel has the best fitness facility I have ever used in a hotel, anywhere.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank stexasguy20
Reviewed 10 February 2009

My recent stay at the watermark was good but it does seem to have declined a little since the last time. The service is a little less, which I'd ascribe either to cutbacks due to the economy or to it's impending changeover to being owned by OMNI hotels instead of being privately owned. Hotels such as this in other cities tend to cost much more.
The rooms are large and beautiful. Our view was not that great, as some have noted in other reviews. The service is good but does seem to be a little less polished than before.
Room service, however, remains a high point--our breakfast arrived in less than 30 minutes and was perfectly prepared.
Overall, I'd definitely stay there again, but stay tuned as this top-flight property is going through a change of owners.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank SKS1969
Reviewed 8 February 2009

My husband I stayed at the Watermark for a 4 day weekend getaway. The hotel is very small but nice. Very nice lobby area. The rooms have no view unless you upgrade and get the Riverview. We started out with the standard room and these consist of a view of a concrete wall. Not much sunshine can come in. We moved to a higher floor and had a view of the parking garage across the street. We then talked to Renae I believe at the front desk who then let us check out a Riverview room ( and was the one who moved us to a higher floor above the concrete wall). The view was nice but we didn't want to pay the extra, so we stayed with the view of the parking garage. At least we had sunshine and no wall. The rooms were nice but nothing memorable.
The spa was very nice, I was 5 months pregnant at the time so I did not get to enjoy some of their better massage packages but did have a good pregnancy massage. On another day got the Riverwalk foot fix for my tired feet. The spa facility is very nice and I would recommend trying it. The staff in the spa is very friendly and helpful. One of my massage therapists gave me a container of body scrub I could use in my room since I couldn't get the treatment I wanted due to being pregnant. Very nice touch.
Got good restaurant recommendations from the hotel staff went to a few off of the river walk Bohanan's was expensive, but a very nice place with a great atmosphere and service was outstanding but we have good steak in Nebraska too! Also went to Guenther House, and the rest we ate around the Riverwalk. Overall had good meals.
You should be aware you have to take an elevator to the basement to get to the Riverwalk. Not a big deal but hotel is not directly on the Riverwalk across the street a few feet away.
Overall the staff and spa were very good but the rooms just didn't impress me for the money.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rjsmom1117
Reviewed 26 December 2008

Upon arrivel the Hotel was obviously busy which made them oblivious to my arrival. It was very frustrating way to begin the very short vacation that I had. The restaurant experience had me desiring more. Although the experience of this hotel started terrible, it wasn't until the next morning my experience was flipped upside down. I asked the bellman (Kevin) where i could get a cup of coffee and he did not miss a beat when offering me a warm cup of freshly brewed house coffee he then gave me a great reccomendation on a local mexican restuarant that really showed how great mexican food can be. After returning I asked the doorman (Moc) where I could find a USA Today he returned to inform me that they normally carry them and had just ran out. He proceeded to run to the nearest corner store and purchase one from me. I have never been treated so well by a service staff. The front desk staff (Daniel) even wowed me by showing his knowledge of the nearby area by giving me great directions and recommendations for local markets. Later upon my return I stopped by the concierge to reccomend a restuarant that I should have dinner tonight. She seemed flawless in getting me reservations to a booked restaurant using only the line "This is Erin at the Watermark". Over all my stay was turned from a possible dreadful nightmare to a dream come true. I highly recomend this hotel for anyone that is going to stay in San Antonio

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank Beef08
Reviewed 3 November 2008

If you are looking for a great hotel on the Riverwalk look no further than the Watermark! From probably the most comfortable bed to the friendliest service this hotel has it all! Unfortunately our visit was limited to a single night but after staying in and around San Antonio many many times I have to say this was my favorite. Location is great towards the end of the main area on the Riverwalk and directly across from their sister hotel La Mansion del Rio my previous favorite until we stayed here. Food was excellent and sitting on the terrace was nice and quiet. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2004, travelled with friends
1  Thank c_stogs
Reviewed 19 October 2008

To be considered a 5 star hotel the staff must be trained at a level that corresponds to a 5 star hotel. While the Watermark should receive high marks for location and furnishings, most of it's staff are nothing more than out of work people hired off the street with a minimal amount of training, especially the waiters in Pesca, the hotel's restaurant. The hotel doesn't even provide free wifi service but instead offers Internet service for an additional fee using a USB cable in the room only. I'd give the hotel 5 stars for location and décor, but only 3 stars for services and staff training.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business