“Its a place to sleep”

Ranked #217 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Stonewall, Louisiana
“Its a place to sleep”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

First, I'll give the good. The price cannot be beat. My friend and I got the double King suite, Two rooms joined by french doors, two king beds, one closet, one bathroom, two sinks, one fridge and microwave, two beds, and two tvs and dressers. We stayed 6 days-5 nights for under $300. So the price was great. The room was a good size with decent lighting for a hotel, and we were close to the ice machine and laundry room. The water pressure was good, and it got hot very fast. The hotel is also in an easy to get to location, only about 30min.s from SeaWorld, and the staff (3 people) were never really rude. The housekeeping didn't even take the pile of pocket change I forgot out. I also never saw any bugs, dead or otherwise.
Now, to the bad.
The A/C is turned off inbetween guests, so the room starts out really hot and the fan inbetween the rooms was jammed. The whole place looks dingy. There are signs of repair, but they only add to the disheveled look; paint on the counters, cracks repaired with plaster but not painted over, ect. The pool was never open (early Oct. is still plenty warm for swimming), but with the odor around the back of the hotel I may have not gotten in anyway (in the hotel's defense, many areas of San Antonio had this strange mix of sewage and stagnant lake water funk, including parts of the Riverwalk, so it probably wasn't something they could help). The free breakfast is coffee and cereal, but we never used it. The fridge and microwave are super old and barely work. When we arrived, the fridge was barely cool and I worried about our sandwich meat spoiling, by the second night, everything was frozen, including my vials of medication. We had to just keep putting ice in the cooler. The microwave took a good 10min.s to get anything warm. I also saw mouse/rat droppings in the laundry room, but not in the hotel room itself. The beds were hard as rocks and the pillows weren't much better. The towels and wash-rags were often stained and a few had holes. The tv also had a horrible channel selection. They have Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC, but no ABC or local news, so you couldn't see the local weather or traffic. It was mostly political and TV shopping channels, very little actual entertainment. my biggest problem was the housekeeping. They appear to only have one woman for housekeeping, which is bad, but up until our last day the hotel was EMPTY. Never more than ten cars in the parking lot. Our first full day I decided to be polite and leave a tip, but I wanted to be sure they were doing their job. So I left the tip in between the sheets and took note of any preexisting stains on the sheets. When we got back, the bed was perfectly made but the money and stains were still there. I went to the front desk and let the woman up front know. Once you are in the room, the staff will not go in, so if you complain about dirty sheets, it will be the next day before they change them. They only times my sheets were changed and not just remade was when I complained to the front desk. Of the five nights, my sheets were changed twice. My friend's sheets had a cigarette hole in them, but he never complained, so his sheets were NEVER changed. That was my biggest problem, the poor housekeeping. It left me untrusting of their breakfasts and everything else.
Overall, the price was unbeatable and it was a place to sleep where I never felt unsafe, but if I go back to San Antonio, I'll be staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: Mark your sheets to be sure they are changed.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Midland, Texas
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The hotel looked dirty outside and inside. The room was hot when we entered the room and the AC sucked. They say free breakfast and all I saw was coffee. There was hole in the sheets on the bed and the was no iron in the room and when I went and asked for one the guy at the counter implied that I stole it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these San Antonio hotels

Katy, Texas, United States
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Very unsatisfied! upon entering the hotel on 8/10/13 it smells of terrible smoke, The receptionist gave us the wrong room and all was okay until we went back to change and she gave us a very rude attitude. Entering the room the hotel was falling apart! Holes in the walls, and locks not working, along with lightbulbs being out here and there. I understand that some hotels do not have much but this was ridiculous. We purchased two king size beds in different rooms and the fan that transfers air from one room to the other not only did not work but the cover fell on my wifes head! If that had been my daughter i would seriously be pressing charges. The far room was scorching hot tonight and unfortunately be staying another night.. wish us luck.. I have been to 5 star hotels to hotels such as this and have never had such a bad experience. Good luck to anyone who will be attending this hotel and may your visit be much more pleasant than mine.

Room Tip: double check your room that you get for it may be wrong and you could be paying for something much m...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Washington
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I have been to many 5 star resort hotels, but we felt as we were treated in a 6 star manner! Our stay was excellent in every way! Our accomidations was the 2 bedrooms! I commend the front desk staff and the housekeeping department! We stayed a week at Travel Lodge while visiting my Niece who is stationed at Fort Sam Houston and her family!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

1 Thank Carole A