“Really nice people, but the food :-(”

El Ceviche De Waldito
Ranked #631 of 4,645 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Cuban, Latin, Peruvian
San Antonio, Texas
“Really nice people, but the food :-(”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

It genuinely pains me to write this review, but feel compelled to do so, more to forewarn those people like myself who often rely on recommendations by fellow travelers and foodies when choosing were to stay or eat.

It pains me to write this because the proprietors of this restaurant are exceptionally nice and demonstrate a very genuine customer service attitude. From the moment, I and my sons walked through the door, we were warmly greeted and attended to. The experience of being in their restaurant was pleasant because of the owner and his wife. I wish I could say the same about the food.

To be fair, we sampled only a small portion of the menu. I can't comment on the whole menu so at the very least take this disclaimer as a faint endorsement for possibly better experiences with the other dishes on the menu.

I know this food because I grew up in NYC, in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood. My dad was Ecuadorian and mom Puerto Rican. So I've been exposed to a wide variety of South American cuisines. Besides this I have traveled extensively to the Caribbean, Central and South America to visit my relatives. So I have had the NYC Latin American food experience and the authentic local country experiences. The meals we ordered here missed the mark on every front. I am genuinely perplexed at the positive reviews here on this web site.... Maybe he had an off night... But I don't think so.

We started with basic Peruvian appetizers. "Salchipapa" and I also ordered a chicken version of the same. I was surprised to see the skins on the fries. It not only soaked more oil, but gave the dish an earthy flavor... The "Salchi" portion of the dish was a sausage usually served in South Texas which completed an unusual mix of undesirable flavors. The chicken version was worse. No flavor, shredded chicken (thigh meat) mixed with greasy potato skin French fries. For the main entree, my sons ordered a Puerto Rican dish, Lechon Asado. It was bland, and greasy, and frankly unpleasant. I ordered a "safe" Peruvian dish. Lomo Saltado, which is basically stir fried beef with French fries and white rice. The beef is usually marinated with a variant of white wine and other Peruvian spices. It is stir fried with red onions, tomatoes, mixed with the French fries and garnished with perejil (cilantro/culantro, depending where you come from). It is then served with steamed white rice. It was outright terrible. The seasoning/ salt was non existent, the potato skin issue also gave the dish an unusual flavor (unpleasant). It was a thorough disappointment, and not nearly an experience I would expect from a chef who was supposedly trained in 4 and 5 star restaurants.

I would never rank this restaurant as high as it is ranked here. Maybe the other dishes are better, I'll give the extremely nice host and chef the benefit of the doubt. But if theses basic misfires are an example of the whole menu, then I'm guessing that the rest isn't much better. I wish it were, because I was looking forward to be a frequent diner to a restaurant that features my favorite cuisine, but, even at the low prices, it's not enough to entice me back.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank Paul D

San Antonio, TX
“Hidden Gem-Great Lunch”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Went for a quick lunch when they offer only a buffet. This was my first time trying both this restaurant and Peruvian food. Overall I am glad that this place was picked. The owners are very lovely and welcoming people. He even joked with my Partner in Crime at the end that he was good for a 3rd or 4th trip back to the buffet ;) The food was very flavorful the pork by far was the best tender and juicy but the crust on the outside was by far the best part :) The chicken was lovely and the black beans had a nice spice without being over powering. The soup (I had chicken) great flavor but I wish the seafood came in a non spicy version. The tamal was to die for really. They also had this yucca root (tasted like a potato) I wouldn't fill up on that. They also have some sauces that you could add and deserts for afterward.
My tip... your first time get everything on your plate and try it.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank NewDeep
San Antonio, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I went to Walditos for lunch. I was originally going for ceviche, but when we walked in and saw the buffet we decided to try that instead. The soup and dessert stations are self serve, but the food itself is plated. Waldo himself served us our plates, and good heavens was there food on that plate. It was piled up with red beans and yellow rice,( arroz con habichuela) peruvian tamales, baked chicken, pork roast(pernil), smashed plaintains(tostones), sweet plaintains(maduros) and a fried pork skin(chicarron) . Everything was so delish, and they have many authentic sauces to choose from as well. I was so full off 1 plate, that I didnt even get dessert. I Waldo himself came and sat to talk with me and my guest for a while. He is so friendly and sweet. I will most def be returning, not only to try the authentic peruvian ceviche but also because I was so pleased with the service. Thank you Waldo and wife!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Neva_Kay
San Antonio
“Who knew I would like Peruvian food?”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Tiny restaurant has excellent food.

3 tasty sauces complemented ceviche, tamal, beef & chicken dishes.

Inca Cola reminded me of cream soda but sweeter. Next time I will bring some vino.

Excellent flan for dessert.

I will return.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Texasleaguer
“Best Peruvian food ever!”
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We have been to see Waldo so many time he already knows what he is going to make us. The food is always great and so much of it. I don't think I have ever left there without a doggy bag. Love everything about this place. Just hope it was closer to me but its worth the 25 mile trip!

2 Thank jessicakgonzalez