See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 February 2017 via mobile

The building itself is very old and confusing.. finding my room was pretty difficult. I had to share a bathroom with the person next to me. There is no wifi, no elevator, and no air conditioning this time of year. Also, it's located in the middle of no where. On the positive it has a nice patio area, it's quiet, and the staff is super friendly and helpful. Also, the room came with an additional fan and there is a small convenience store attached to the lobby with reasonable prices.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 November 2016 via mobile

The old Kelly Inn on Kelly Field is not like any other AirForce inn I've stayed at. It has no wifi and is run down. Its difficult to navigate the floors and no elevator exists. If you just need a bed and shower it might be great for you, all other amenities are similar to what you might expect 1980. Best part is that you need not pass a security gate when coming and going.

There is a small store in the main lobby for basic necessities and wifi access in the lobby area only.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Jonathan S
Reviewed 23 July 2016

I've spent the last 90 days at the Kelly Inn while on orders to Lackland AFB. The rooms are incredibly cheap - $44 a night. There's a bed and a desk and there is basic cable and they clean your room almost every day. That said, you share a bathroom with a neighbor (toilet and shower), the internet is slow to the point of being malicious, and there is literally nothing worthwhile within a couple miles of the Inn. The base is close by and it is convenient for military travelers like me, but I wouldn't recommend the Kelly for a family or civilian tourists.

All things considered, I'd just as soon stay here and get the extra per diem rather than stay on base and deal with all that mess.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Andy C
Reviewed 8 April 2016

I stayed at the Kelly Inn for 3 weeks when lodging at Lackland was full, and I wish I’d paid out of pocket to stay elsewhere. The Kelly Inn is just completely lacking and utterly outdated on every possible level.

First off, like many reviews already covered, the staff was polite and cordial. They were helpful when possible, but politeness doesn’t do much when dealing with a completely neglected and outdated facility.

When one walks into the lobby, you will see shelves and shelves of VHS tapes. This is all the entertainment the facility has to offer. No… really. I asked the woman at the front desk about the VHS collection, and she appeared embarrassed as she told me that each room came with a combination VCR and DVD Player.

The rooms are plain and without any wifi. The internet is through an Ethernet cable, but it’s slower than dial-up. The internet in the rooms is so slow that one cannot stream videos. Plus, if a person only brings a tablet, an Ethernet cable is useless. The wifi in the lobby is even slower. I wasn’t even able to reliably stream music. So, if you’re staying here for an extended period, you’ll need to have a great data plan for your cell phone.

The furnishings in the rooms are outdated. The appearance of certain items made me believe this furniture was previously used somewhere else and donated to this facility afterward. On the bright side, the TVs appeared to be recently updated and the cable (or satellite) TV was pretty good.

The laundry rooms are completely inadequate. There are 3 washers on the third floor but only 1 dryer. The second floor had 1 washer but three dryers. When I asked about this, I was told I could carry my clothes to another wing of the facility and try to do laundry there. Nice.

There is a 24-hours “store” in the lobby that overcharges for things like soda, beer and pop-tarts. There are no restaurants within walking distance, so unless you want snack food, you’re going to be out of luck.

The “fitness room” consists of two stationary bikes, one working treadmill, one broken treadmill, and two elliptical machines. Every piece looks like it was second-hand. The TV in the fitness room doesn’t work at all.

If Lackland Lodging tries to put you up at the Kelly Inn, BEG FOR A NON-AVAILABILITY SLIP. The Kelly Inn is completely lacking on every level unless you are just staying overnight.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
4  Thank Scott K
Reviewed 25 October 2015

I'm a retired US Army sergeant and I enjoy taking advantage of affordable lodging. My son graduated from US Air Force Basic Military Training this weekend and I rented a room here for five days. It was $44 a day (with no hidden hotel tax) and that price included an in-room coffee maker, a DVD/VHS player with free rental movies from the lobby, a refrigerator and a queen-sized bed. The only downfall is that I shared the shower with the room next door and the room did not have WiFi (just ethernet hook-up) but I was able to pick-up the hotel's free WiFi because my room (373) was two floors directly above the main router. The signal was strong enough for me to check email and stream short videos, but I couldn't always upload photos. I had to go downstairs to the common room for that, but that place was always so cold. (My room's AC was set to 57F when I first entered the room!)

The room is clean and the building quiet. No screaming teens or small children running up and down the hallway. The bed is very comfortable. The building is a former barracks (the USAF calls them dorms) and each room is the size of a standard hotel room, with couch, small table, two bedsize tables, clock, hair dryer. The sundry/snack shop by the front desk is open 24/7 and offers free Douwe Egberts coffee and "Whipped coffee" for all guests. The common area is large.

The Inn is located at the now downsized part of Lackland AFB known as the Kelly Annex. One can no longer get from the hotel directly to the main training area on the air base, and this detour back on US90/I-410 is a bit of an inconvenience, but at night you have no loud traffic or creepy transients walking around looking into vehicles. It's also at least four miles to the restaurants on US90. There is also no pool. You get no free breakfast. So there are advantages and disadvantages by staying here. There are 260 rooms in this building.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the lobby to get the WiFi signal in your room
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo