“Anniversary Dinner”
Review of Biga on the Banks

Biga on the Banks
Reserve with OpenTable
Biga on the Banks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 4,645 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, View, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Market St.
Transit: Biga is located in the center of downtown San Antonio. Though we are walking distance from most downtown hotels, we are also conveniently located for any who wish to use the city's public transportation.
Description: Overlooking a quiet bend of the San Antonio Riverwalk, but within walking distance of all Downtown hotels and the Convention Center, Biga on the Banks highlights the daily changing menu of Chef Bruce Auden, the most frequently James Beard nominated Chef in San Antonio. Menu features seafood, steaks, lamb and wildgame with a preference for local and sustainable product, but do leave room for the Sticky Toffee Pudding.With high Zagat ratings Biga is an ideal venue for a romantic dinner for 2 or has impressive private dining rooms to entertain clients.
Corinth, Texas
“Anniversary Dinner”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We ate here to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. Top notch food; we ate Axis Deer Venison and Roasted Quail. Excellent. Our server, Warren, was great as well. Very professional and funny and knew about wine selections etc. Can't wait to eat there on our next trip to San Antonio.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank Laura W

San Antonio, Texas
“Not a happy customer”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Ordered the bouillabaisse. Looked nothing like the photo. Tiny serving.
The seafood was so over cooked that they tasted like rubber. After the meal I ordered decaf coffee. By the time I got home I realized that I was served regular coffee. Could not fall asleep until 5 am. Not happy when I had to wake at 7:30 for a meeting in which I was too foggy to participate in. NEVER will go there again.

• Visited August 2014
Biga B, General Manager at Biga on the Banks, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
We're so sorry to hear that your night with us was not enjoyable. Usually our first response to hearing that a guest is not enjoying their meal is to make the dish again, more to their liking. As this did not happen with your overcooked entree we'd be happy to refund that amount to you. Please contact me by phone or email and I can arrange this refund.

Kindly,

Jon Baumgartner
jon@biga.com
(210)225-0722 extension 15
Baltimore, Maryland
“Dynamic”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The ambience is great. The staff is professional, knowledgeable, well organized and attentive. I typically don't like high priced restaurants with more decor on the plate than food but I must confess theportion sizes were good and my entree( Beef Tips w/Corn pudding) was great. The beef was tender and the meal was a perfect balance of sweet & savory.

2 Thank Divoya
Farnham Common, United Kingdom
“Great meal”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had a short trip to San Antonio and booked a table here for our first night. This was a really good meal which we thoroughly enjoyed. We had a table inside as it was August in Texas and the humidity was high. The interior is dark, too dark as the sun went down, in fact. When we needed a torch to read the menu, that was too dark. There were dark wood table and floors and orange curtains to separate the kitchen doors. The atmosphere was lively, in a good way.

My husband had wild mushrooms and tomato with toast - fabulous but for too large a portion. This was more of a sharing plate size. Bibb and radicchio game packets - lettuce wraps with game mince and two sauces to dribble on. Wonderful and tasty though my only point would be to tuck your napkin in your neckline! My son had shrimp, merquez sausage grilled on a base of hummus - he was most impressed by this. Our daughter's starter of pork pot stickers must have been forgotten so the waiter deftly brought her a small cup of the mushroom broth (yum). When the pot stickers did arrive, they were really good too.

We had asked for a large gap before our entrees (European style), however this was far too short for us and was the only point we felt let down the whole evening.

For entree, we had venison and grilled quail with brussel sprouts, parsnip purée and jus. Our daughter had seared duck breast with braised duck leg with noodles and bok choy. Our son had the lamb special which was indeed, special.

For dessert my son and husband could not resist the spectacularly good sticky toffee pudding and I had the Gran Marnier soufflé which was served with a small jug of creme anglaise.

We had the best meal we had had for a long time here and I must say that our waiter was one of the most professional we have been served by in the United States and we eat out a lot. He was there when needed and absent when not. He handled the mistake very well and did not make the common error many make by being over friendly - I am not there to make a new friend.

We had a wonderful meal here and I could not fault anything. The cost was around $100 per head which is about par for this quality and would be the same in Houston.

1 Thank ruthiegee
Clermont,Florida (West of Orlando)
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I thought the restaurant was a bit tired looking. Although we had made reservations well in advance, we were offered an inferior table. No tknowing the layout in advance, I requested a table with a river view upon arrival. They claimed there were none available and I suspect those tables ere reserved for locals. I don't doubt that our seating arrangement set the tone for our experience.
Nothing that I ate that evening was noteworthy. As a matter of fact, a very unforgettable meal. Not terrible/not good. For the amount of money spent, I would have thought I would at the very least, be somewhat impressed. Though we will be in San Antonio often, I have absolutely no intentions in returning to Biga.

• Visited July 2014