“a new local favorite”

Azuca Nuevo Latino Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Azuca Nuevo Latino Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #196 of 4,714 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Central American, Puerto Rican
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Fun Latin Restaurant... Great Mojito Bar and Live Orchestras on Fridays and Saturdays Brunch is offered on Sundays !!
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Had it not been for the Restaurant.com coupon, we never would have gone to this restaurant. It is just a few blocks south of downtown, and we don't really visit downtown anymore. We have lived here in San Antonio for 12 years and only now have we found what we have been looking for in a different type of restaurant. If you want tortillas and the typical tex-mex that will inflame your gall bladder, then there are 10,000 possibilities in the area. But, if you want a place that uses lots of fresh ingredients, is not limited to just 1 country's menu-fare, and cooks everything from scratch, I would say Azuca is a winner. We had shared an appetizer sampler that was unlike anything I have had before. I had the trio of sandwiches and my wife had a quinoa salad with tuna. We split a tropical fruit brulee. Everything was great. The lemonade was made from scratch. The server was attentive and on-the-spot. His menu recommendations were solid. Everything was perfect. If I wore a hat I would have tipped it to them. No questions about it, when we have out-of-town guests coming and they want some Latin cuisine, we will be going back to Azuca.

2  Thank hipntrippy

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Sunday nite is a good time, few folks in the restaurant, most are next door taking salsa lessons. We had the ceviche, pork shank, spicy shrimp, mole salmon, margaritas & mojitos. Exceeded our expectations, first class all the way, will return if we can get in. Parking a problem.

1  Thank PuroConjunto
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had a really fine server today.
His name was Tony and he was so hard-working and knowledgeable that the owner left him all by himself to handle the big room and some outside tables. Tony needs reinforcements.
Of course the service suffered badly. This was a shame because this Nuevo Latino/Cubano place with photos of the iconic Celia Cruz has tons of potential.
They get your attention immediately with some serious cornbread dulce.
Our appetizer was a queso unlike any other. There were huge chunks of goat cheese, chorizo, bell peppers, onions, and chunks of tomato.
Our salad was brilliant with spinach and mixed garden greens, pepito, that's goat cheese covered with pumpkin seeds, and and amazing strawberry/vinegar dressing.
The fish of the day was Redfish. It was prepared either grilled or blackened on a bed of mashers, surrounded by bits of Julienne cut mixed veggies. Sounds great, but the quantity of fish served here was pathetically small.
This place is very noisy, there's zero sound proofing nor insulation.
In addition, parking is almost non-existent in this neighborhood.
There are plenty of offbeat options on both lunch and dinner menus. The other issues like insufficient help, no parking, and a very noisy venue will diminish your level of enjoyment.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This restaurant is outstanding and the food is excellent. Great location and the atmosphere is wonderful. Great service and the price for entrees is very reasonable.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This restaurant was recommended to me by a friend who travels there frequently. What a treat. Clean, casual and clearly filled with many locals. The food offerrings went beyond the "typical". I wish I could have been there on one of their music nights. The mojitos were the best I have EVER had. I highly recommend them. The staff was helpful in guiding menu selections. I was appreciative of the rerouting of my choice because of a special.