“Not my favorite deli”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Toledo Ohio
“Not my favorite deli”
Reviewed 17 July 2012 via mobile

We were a bit tired of Tex mex so decided to try a deli for a Reuben sandwich. It was average at best. Disappointing after reading good reviews. The prices are very reasonable and the service was excellent however.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas
“Old school, still tasty!”
Reviewed 17 July 2012

It had been 20 years (no exaggeration) since I last at here. They still make great sausage dishes and the homemade rootbeer was a hit with my family. Easy access from the River Walk, just take the stairs to street level and it's around the corner.

Visited July 2012
NJ
“Breakfast & Dinner”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

On a weeklong trip to San Antonio, had two meals here. Breakfast was the better of the two food wise, dinner was the better in terms of service. Food was pretty good and the prices are from a time long since passed!

Despite getting there around 10:00am on a weekday - the place was jammed. They had people waiting along the deli counter for tables - practically on top of the people eating. Once seated - the service was pretty bad. Slow! The food was pretty god though - no complaints from any of the picky eaters in our group either.

A few days later we needed a quick bite to eat for dinner and wanted to steer clear of the crowded Riverwalk that late afternoon. Time was a factor and Schilo's was right up the road from our hotel. They have a "dinner specials" menu on their website, but didn't have the same at the restaurant for some reason. We all ordered sandwiches, etc. anyway. This time the place was practically empty and the service was attentive. Food was average at best. Root beer and cheesecake were our faves!

• Visited July 2012
hackberry, la
“Cool Eats!”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Lots of history & a great breakfast. Walking distance to Alamo. Loved this place!

Visited July 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Not a favorite”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

My husband and I found this deli when the restaurant we wanted to visit wasn't open yet. It had a great tripadvisor rating, so we gave it a shot. Unfortunately, this was the most disappointing meal of the trip. I guess if you are looking for an inexpensive meal at a mediocre restaurant, this would fit the bill. But we were not impressed. My husband ordered a deli sandwich - good but not great. I ordered one of their speciality dishes - potato pancakes. They had a bitter aftertaste and I didn't finish my meal. Service was average. The only redeeming value was the atmosphere- loved the deli counter and the tin ceilings - an old time German feel but not enough to draw us back to visit, especially when there are so many other wonderful restaurants to sample.

• Visited July 2012