“A bit different than years ago”

Viet-Nam Restaurant
Ranked #975 of 4,602 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$0 - US$8
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese, Thai
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Uptown Broadway
San Antonio, Texas
“A bit different than years ago”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I used to work close to the Viet-Nam Restaurant so I was happy to get back today. I loved the Crab Supreme and the Spring Rolls, so we planned to order these. The Crab Supreme is no longer offered on menu (or by request) as an entree; you can get it on a combo plate (#8 - $7.50) with rice and chicken salad. It was just not as good as I remember - don't know if it is me or the restaurant, although my husband also though it not like the old days. We also shared an order of Spring Rolls ($7), served with lots of lettuce and cilantro/coriander and good fish sauce. These were still wonderful and the serving size is giant. Service was very friendly, but a bit slow because the place was full. Hot tea was very hot and strong - and you can't always say that about hot tea served anywhere. Prices, as always, are very good, especially for the serving sizes.

• Visited February 2012

“Excellent Pho and Spring Rolls”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Wow!! This may look like a little whole in the wall place but the atmosphere and food are excellent. This is the first time I've had Vietnamese food and I love it. If you get the Pho soup it will definitely fill you up and the spring rolls are to die for. Enjoy!!

• Visited January 2012
San Antonio, TX
“A good restaurant should be clean.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

My husband and I had not been here for several years, because he saw a cockroach in the dining room back then. We decided to give it another try, especially after reading all of the good reviews (in spite of the comments about the run down look) Looking for a little adventure, we ordered the "crepe" #48. The waitress did a pretty good job of explaining what it was like. We also ordered Happy Buddha vegetables. The crepe is a rather strange dish. Fried omelet like pancake with shrimp, pork, bean shoots cooked inside it. You are supposed to cut a piece, wrap it in a lettuce leaf, then dip it in fish sauce, which is the flavor adder. There are two huge crepes in the order. Greasy, the inside part is not really cooked and little flavor, even with the fish sauce. The vegetables were so-so. The staff was young, and very friendly and helpful, the new waitress getting help from someone who seemed to be managing. My husband used the men's room and when I started to go the lady's room, he told me the men's room was filthy and looked like what old filing station restrooms used to look like. Good thing he didn't go there before the meal. The dining rooms weren't obviously unclean, but I don't know if I could trust that they weren't. It does seem that a place with such pleasant service would take more care in the cleanliness of it. Perhaps we made poor food choices, but it really doesn't matter if the food was fantastic. A filthy bathroom is all it takes to make us not go back.

• Visited January 2012
Dallas, Texas
“It was Great!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

It was okay, the service was exceptional, the food was great! I had excellent pho when I went, I also found that it is a great environment to eat in.

Visited December 2011
San Antonio, Texas
“Difficult to be in SA without SPRING ROLLS!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

I visit SA regularly and each trip I not only get spring rolls here, I take some back with me to Tampa. My wife loves them, as well!
The restaurant hasn't changed over the years that I've been coming here. Still has the cramped parking in front with more in the rear. The building is still small and needs repair. The service is nothing to write home about, but it's OK.
The spring rolls are heavenly. I've never tried anything else. When I dine in, I have the herbal sweet tea to add to the experience.
You MUST try the spring rolls if you are in SA. You won't be let down.

• Visited September 2011