“Good fried food”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Neighbourhood: Far North Central
Neighbourhood: Far North Central
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Four of us decided to eat here on Wednesday evening, prior to two leaving the next day for a wedding. We'd previously got take out fried oysters from Clear Springs Cafe so somewhat knew what to expect.
Didn't need reservations that evening, although I made them anyway. It was warm and bright outside, so we sat inside, where it was dark but way too cold. Complained to the waiter but he said all the tables were similarly subject to the AC icy blast. Decor was "general store" and Texas paintings and some nautical themed displays as well, but all neatly displayed and interesting. It's a large restaurant; I imagine it could get noisy when the beer drinkers arrive.
Portions are huge: my wife and I ordered a "small house salad" (plenty for two) and a bowl of jalapeño crawfish chowder which left us so full we had to take home most of our entrees. Fried catfish and fried oysters were very good. Chicken fried steak was reportedly excellent!
Waiter was good, even remembering a small request for salsa to add zest to the skinny chicken salad. Wish they'd have some healthy things, like sweet potato fries. And the peach cobbler dessert was strange, more of a pecan pie. Quibbles.

Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Aside from the chains, this place is a true San Antonio seafood restaurant. I really enjoyed the cabin-like atmosphere. Very rustic. Sat in a cozy booth. Awesome hostess. Happy. In a playful mood. This was nice after a long day at the office. Made it for happy hour too. $2 margaritas on the rocks and $2 domestic. Our waitress was awesome! She was on her game. Filled our water, brought more drinks, napkins, extra condiments, etc.; she just knew what we always needed. Will definitely be back.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I thought I was going to have find s waiter since we sat awhile before he showed up. I've eaten gumbo all over the place just might be at the bottom. As usual the onion rings were very good. I won't come back here but I will always go to the one in New Braunfels

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Had dinner 12/20 ordered grilled cat fish had no taste covered with Pico de gallo who puts that onfish as a ggarnish maybe but not all over. Our other plate, talapia was so so. Also ordered peach cobbler only to find pecan and cake. The only thing that hasn't changed were onion rings very good.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Today we ate here and my wife found a roach in her drink. It was filled twice and was unoticed. When the mananger was told about it he didn't even seem remorseful about it. The manager didn't even care and just offered to refill the drink. As far as we know, this is a roach infested establishment. Do not eat here.