“Overlooked”

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery
“Overlooked”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Went to San Antonio to see Joel osteen and stopped here to eat around 4:30. Ordered fried chicken fries bubba salad and daughter got chicken and dumplings. All was good except fried chicken was either way overcooked or saved from lunch. Disappointed as I found out about it from diners drive ins and dives.

• Visited May 2014

Houston, Texas
“Needs more seasoning”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We visited here based on the reviews and Food Network feature on Triple D. The atmosphere is cozy and friendly. We saw several people ordering onion rings. They were huge! My husband developed onion ring envy as my daughter said. We ordered some. They were not greasy at all, but had very little taste. This was to be a theme for the evening. The chicken fried steak was large, and perfectly cooked, not greasy at all, but again very little seasoning. I hope it was an off night as a little seasoning would have made this meal.

• Visited May 2014
San Antonio, Texas
“They Must Have My Grandmothers Recipes”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This is far from fancy. It is crowded always. They don't take any kind of credit cards, cash only. BUT boy do they know how to cook great food. I would swear they had my grandmothers recipes. And it is like having a family member wait on your table. Everyone that passes your table will check on you. You may end up with 4 or 5 bringing you stuff during your meal. And they don't skimp on anything. The chicken fried steaks are to die for and hang off the plate. Then when your meal is over you had better have saved room for a fantastic piece of pie. If you go from lunch on you better check with the wait staff when you sit down what pie selections are available, as they may not be when you finish your meal. The pies go that fast. Have them put your pie choice on your table even before you order your meal. You won't be sorry. Dive in to some great home style cooking at a very old neighborhood cafe. The staff seems to know many of the customers by name as the eat there so often. I have seen the wait staff ask if the customer wants their usual as the wait staff known who they are and exactly what they want. Boy is it like home, except you have to pay when you finish. Do not go at a peak time as you may have to wait outside in the Texas heat. A relatively small dining room and a large following of locals that enjoy the great food and you will too.

• Visited February 2014
San Antonio, Texas
“Nothing to brag about”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

A very forgettable meal. My grandparents use to bring me to the Tip Top Cafe over fifty years ago. I'm not sure how it was then as I have no food memory of the place but was excited to eat there last month with family. It was poor at best. You'll have to like "fried" foods and "Texas" size portions to enjoy this well established eatery off of the old Fredricksburg road. I found the food to be bland and greasy. The service was slowwwww. The restaurant is a "packed" house restaurant so maybe it's just me. But I went back a second time with my daughter and she and I both have had our fill of the Tip Top. Sorry grandfather....410 Dinner here I come.

• Visited February 2014
Gilbert, Arizona
“Rock solid comfort food”
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

After 76 years the Tip Top Cafe has things pretty well down pat. Chicken Fried Steak is huge and very well done (get extra gravy). Onion rings a must to start. Fried chicken rocks. Had beef enchiladas for the first time just to taste and share. Pretty dang good.

Cash only. Be prepared to wait. Rockin' good.

GB