“'Tex-Mex' is the Way -To-Go!”

Tomatillo's Cafe y Cantina
Ranked #260 of 4,736 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Uptown Broadway
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Yummy, Yummy, Yummy! It's been years, since we've eaten here, surprisingly, the food still has that great 'Kick' (taste). We joined our friends/family who were visiting from Oklahoma, for 'after-church-dinner' and we were very pleased with the food. Several in our party, had lots of good compliments, regarding, the taste of the food. I had the combination plate, Beef (Ground Beef) Enchiladas & Beef (GB) Taco, Rice and Beans. The Barracho Beans tasted like they were cooked with Beer, so I really did not like the taste, however, the Refried Beans were jamming; small portions for the sides, so you have to fill up on the wonderful 'Chips & Salsa". Polite & friendly Staff; clean bathroom(s); warm and friendly atmosphere; not too stuffy/warm; not too crowded. A bit pricey, though! Yes, I'm ready to go back!

Reviewed 2 June 2013

I just ate here a few days ago and had the sour cream chicken enchilada plate... I honestly don't know how I managed to finish it b/c there was so much meat in the enchiladas that it turned out to be a ton of food. I have eaten here for easily 20 plus years and each dish I have tried is always good. I noticed on my last visit that they are now serving salsa with the chips instead of pico de gallo but it still tasted just as a good as always. I live on the Northwest side of town but will trek all the way down to Broadway to go here.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

We have been eating here since my daughter was a toddler. She has now finished her first year of college!
We originally used this as a place to meet with other parents when going on play-dates downtown. Now we visit as a family every time we go to the Half Price Bookstore...just walk across the street and wallah!
Food is always good and the freshly made tortillas are yummy. Portions are big so consider sharing. If not sharing, you'll likely have a to go bag. Tomatillo's makes a nice tomatillo sauce...go figure, but there is so much more to explore. Don't think you can go wrong with anything on the menu. I haven't tried everything yet, but give me time.

Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

We visited on vacation and stayed on the river walk. Was referred by a friend who used to live in San Antone. The restaurant is not very far from the river walk by car.

Everything was great especially the chicken enchiladas and the tomatillo sauce. Service was okay but I'm alittle spoiled i think. Fresh ingredients, can't tell if its my favorite but pretty darn good.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

You can't go wrong with the tortillas here! And the corn ones are thick, not thin, so they're doubly delicious. The beef tacos and cheese enchiladas are pretty good, too, although I seem to remember them being a lot better (but they're still good). Dos Equis on tap in giant glasses, you can't go wrong. The service was fantastic!