“What happened to Joe's Crab Shack?????” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #276 of 4,587 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Groups, View, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Midland, Texas
“What happened to Joe's Crab Shack?????”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I ate at the Joe's Crab Shack on the Riverwalk in San Antonio this week, I don't know what has happened, but this was a most disappointing experience. The restaurant used to be packed and I should have been "warned" by the lack of customers, but I loved (keyword: loved) the place so went in anyway. I ordered "Crispy Shrimp." Not only were the shrimp not crispy, but I used numerous paper towels to squeeze the grease out of each shrimp before I could eat them. The Onion Strings were soggy, as well. The service was decent but the food sucked. Joe's - - what has happened to you????? The restaurant in Lubbock has deteriorated to the same level, by the way. I ate there a couple of months ago with the same results.

• Visited May 2014

• Korean first
“Cinco de Mayo with a smile!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I've visited Joe's Crab Shack around the country and it's usually the same except it was Cinco de Mayo in Texas. Had the pleasure of sitting on the upper level overlooking the riverwalk and seeing the boats float by, very scenic so ask to get seated there if possible.
Jessica was the server and had a great fun persona. I recently went on a paleo diet and wanted a "paleo friendly" drink in honor of Cinco de Mayo. I created a tequila based mojito with fresh fruit (raspberry my fav) mint and soda water. The bartender did an amazing job and that is now my signature cocktail. The service, food and drinks were A+. Ordered the crab legs and was not disappointed....Yum!
Great location with "bueno" service/food!

• Visited May 2014
Florida
“Pretty view, great food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

We were upstairs and the view is so pretty. We had a group of eight, yet our service, from Mike, was excellent. Our group ordered a variety from the menu, from Seafood Buckets to hamburgers and everyone was more than happy. I would go back.

• Visited April 2014
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“I'd go somewhere else...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We went there with the family on a late Saturday evening and to be honest we were expecting more, considering that we have been before in Houston's crab shack.
So positive aspects:
1. position, it is on the riverwalk very close to Alamo
2. it is family friendly, so if you go with small kids it is ok
but that's about it.
Negative:
1. prices were on the high end, considering also that we were used to bigger portions of the Houston shack
2. food was not so good, not properly cooked and/or spiced
So bottom line it'll be unlikely that we will go back there, considering the various options available in the area.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Pembroke Pines, Florida
“Disgusting food/ worst service ever !!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

We went for dinner and it was an AWFUL experience! The waiter was too busy taking pictures, flirting with some guys and he was downright rude! He brought the drink and then the food! That was the extent if his service! The meal was like warm and it included corn on the cob and sausage! The sausage was terrible....undercooked! They never brought butter for our seafood. The bill was over $125.00 for 3 people. They didn't over dessert but we had had it! We had to find the waiter to get the bill paid! The food and service was pure garbage! Don't eat here....it's a losing proposition!

• Visited January 2014