“Mangia Bene Insieme Mozarella Parmesano Fagioli. And I'm Not Kidding!”

Zio's Italian Kitchen
Ranked #721 of 4,624 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Neighbourhood: Northwest Side
San Antonio, Texas
“Mangia Bene Insieme Mozarella Parmesano Fagioli. And I'm Not Kidding!”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I wanted to try something different here other than the oft ordered chicken parmesano or spaghetti and meat balls. So I opted for the "Italian enchiladas". Not bad for chopped chicken rolled in a canelloni, flavored with scant artichoke and spinach sauce and smothered with alfredo. Improvements! Prefer shredded chicken and a heavier treatment of the internal sauce to provide more flavor to the somewhat bland meat before loading, or possibly some thick creamy ricottta spiked with garlic, blended with moz and the arti / spin sauce to prevent it from melting away and for a more pleasing texture post oral insertion.
Meatballs did appear on the table via my wife's selection, but with a different twist. They let you mix and match so to speak here so these meatballs were served on linguini and topped with alfredo sauce. That's not a "spiceya meat ball", but what a rich combination!
The place was shorthanded on wait folks so the bartender converted to waitress for our meal. Very attentive, accommodating and personable. Thanks Karen!

• Visited May 2013

“Great food and service was excellent!!”
Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed this place. Our waitress was so good. Took good care of us. The spaghetti was awesome!! The brick over pizza is pretty dang tasty as well. I highly recommend this place!

• Visited March 2013
Saskatchewan
“Great food!”
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Had to wait a little while because it is a popular place but it was worth it. Huge menu and everything is wonderful so you can't go wrong.

Visited February 2013
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Never disappointed!”
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I eat here regularly when I'm in town and it is always so fresh and amazing! The wait staff is always fast and accurate.

Visited February 2013
Annapolis, Maryland
“Not a good choice for Italian”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I had some time to spare while waiting for my car to be serviced, and Zio's was nearby. I decided it was time for lunch. Entering the restaurant my first thought was that it was garish - it looked like one enormous room, akin to a warehouse or a barn, with high, exposed ceilings, and the entire interior painted in yellows and browns (save for the bar area, which had greens and reds). I imagine the intent was for an airy, cheery, homey interior. Instead, I felt like I entered a barn owned by a paint-happy Italian.

I was escorted to my tiny table with, strangely, a large sheet of white paper covering the table. There were two crayons on the table, and at first I looked for any kids nearby who may have been using this. Then I realized it is this restaurant's thing. The waitress, who looked quite lackluster, introduced herself, grabbed a blue crayon, and wrote her name in large letters on my table. I didn't know if I should laugh, start quickly erasing the eyesore, or leave. I chuckled and started pushing various stuff (olive oil, napkin, salt and pepper) over the name, so I didn't feel like I was in kindergarten. I ordered a lunch special, which consisted of a side salad (Caesar for me), and fettuccine Alfredo with chicken. Also, the mandatory water and soda.

Soon after, my waitress brought over a small loaf of Italian bread on a small cutting board with a cutting knife, with a small side plate heaping with Italian spices. The waitress poured olive oil over the spices. Generally speaking, I prefer olive oil by itself (no spices), but I tried this blend and it wasn't bad. I attempted to read, but the sounds of Christmas songs interrupted my concentration. "Santa Baby," "Baby it's cold outside," "Jingle Bells," and such made me grind my teeth, as there is such a thing as too much.

Soon, an overly cheerful waitress brought my salad with a "Here you go, Madame!" Madame? A simple ma'am would suffice. Bygones. The salad was served in a smaller plate, and was a fair amount for a lunchtime side salad. The dressing was a bit heavy, but, in all, not a bad start. I munched on the bread throughout. It was freshly made and perhaps taken out of the oven a tad early (as it had a yeasty aftertaste).

A few minutes after I finished the salad, the same overly cheerful waitress brought the fettuccine to my table, this time with a "Here you go, Mademoiselle!" Really? Bygones.

After the title-changing waitress left I noticed the fettuccine was served in a plate the same size as the salad. The presentation was poor, as the plate is cream colored, as is the fettuccine, so the meal looked like a gooey mess. The top of the fettuccine looked like there was a different colored film over it - as if the plate was made much earlier, left aside, and reheated when I asked for the dish, without the chef bothering to at least stir it once. I stirred it, and, sure enough, it was a different (lighter) color in the bottom. The fettuccine were heated, but not thoroughly, so the dish was rather lukewarm. The pasta was overcooked, sauce heavy, and the five small pieces of chicken (one of which had the consistency of fatty skin) were cooked with far too much lemon, which affected the overall sauce. Overall feeling was of eating overcooked fettuccine with a sauce out of a jar and old, overused chicken cooked in too much lemon.

Finally I ordered some coffee. I rarely order coffee. I asked for a cappuccino first (this being an Italian restaurant), but got a deer in headlights look. So coffee it was. I received a cup on a small side bread plate. I asked for a small spoon and creamer, as the wrapped napkins on the table only contain a knife and a fork. The waitress (the one who wrote her name on my table) brought a lot of creamer and a soup spoon. It could have been just an overall aftertaste, but the coffee was not just incredibly weak and lukewarm, but had hints of barbeque.

The overall experience at this Zio's was not good, though the entire lunch did cost just over $15 (that's with $2.50 for soda, and $2.50 for coffee). I guess you get what you pay for. I would not recommend this restaurant. There are other restaurants in the immediate vicinity. Bon apetit, Mademoiselle!

• Visited December 2012