“A truly wonderful experience”
Review of Eyes Over Texas

Cuisines: American
Good for: View, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Market
Description: Located at the Tower of the Americas, the landmark symbol of San Antonio since 1968, Chart House is legendary for its top-of-the-catch seafood, succulent steaks & decadent desserts. Enjoy outstanding cuisine, spectacular views and exceptional service as you marvel the city below. Be sure to relax with a cocktail in the sophisticated setting of Bar 601. PARKING: Driving 281 South (IH 37 South) Exit 140B (Cesar Chavez) Take right at Light Turn right into Tower of the Americas Parking From Downtown: Driving on Market Street East Take right at Alamo Street Take Left at Cesar Chavez Turn left into Tower of the Americas Parking Driving IH 10E Exit 155B (Cesar Chavez) Stay on Cesar Chavez Go through the light at Alamo Street Turn left into Tower of the Americas Parking Driving IH 10W Exit 574 (IH37/35) Exit 140 B Cesar Chavez Turn Left at light go under over pass and through light Turn right into Tower of the Americas Parking
Reviewed 31 October 2006

My wife and I went to Eyes Over Texas as part of our 15th Anniversary trip. I don't think millionaires would be treated any better than we were. We were lucky enough to score a "walk-up" table by arriving early (it was Saturday so we were REALLY taking a chance). The food was outstanding. My wife had the Trout Almondine & immediately searched the web for a recipe. I had the pasta with broiled shrimp and lobster meat. By not ordering alcoholic drinks or appetizers (we still were stuffed), we kept the price to $84 for two, including tip and dessert. You could spend as much at another place and not have NEAR the atmosphere. Hot tip: Make a reservation for about 45 minutes - 1 hour before sunset to see the city in light and dark. Example of the level of detail: As soon as they saw my wife & I were wearing black pants, they took away the white napkins and gave us black ones, lest the white ones leave white fuzz on our clothes. We had to wait maybe five minutes for the elevator at each end. Perhaps if we were fabulously wealthy and always ate at top-level restaurants, we'd find things to gripe about. But from our middle-class perspective, this place knocked our socks off.

2  Thank RGC1218

A TripAdvisor Member
Boerne, TX
Reviewed 16 July 2006

An out of town guest, my sister, her husband and I (all 3 San Antonio area residents) were excited to see the revitalized Tower, it's new restaurant, and the new 4-D ride. We had read reviews and newspaper articles expounding on the new facilities and restaurant. Based on what we read, I guess we just expected too much. Coming from the parking garage there were no signs that you needed to get tickets to the 4-D ride at an outside ticket booth rather than at the ride itself, but after questioning three people that worked there we found the ticket booth and purchased out tickets. The ride was excellent with much sreaming from the "riders". A little short for the price which is not the advertised price but actually 50 cents more. Another city tax I suppose. The elevator ride was nice and we arrived at the restaurant just before our scheduled reservation. We were seated immediately. So far so good. Our server Brandon was quite attentive, infact I was initially concerned he would never leave us alone. But then even before we ordered our entress he began complaining about the backlog of tables and the work he would have to do this evening to keep up with everyone. We hardly saw him after that, and when we did we had to ask more than once to get items such as coffee. The Shrimp and Crab Fondue appetiser was very good and very hot (temperature). When our entrees arrived the presentation was excellent and we all dug into barely warm food, decent taste but just warm. By the time we saw Brandon again we had eaten most of the food because of the time it had taken to get it served in the first place, so we did not tell him, thinking it would only lead to problems if we ordered dessert. By the time we had finished Brandon was commenting about how the reservation staff had overloaded him because of his experience as a waiter. We asked for one coffee, another mistake because we had to ask again for that. In the end overpriced and poor service. It's just one of those things you have to do once in a lifetime and never return. It then took us close to 40 miniutes of waiting to get an elevator down to the ground. We even had to walk up to the observation deck from the restaurant because we were told there is no elevator between the two since one elevator is run by the city and one by the restaurant. Overall, just not the pleasant experience we had anticipated and unfortunately we would not recommend it to anyone.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, TX
Reviewed 5 July 2006

My husband and I had dinner at Eyes Over Texas in San Antonio, Tx on Monday, July 3, 2006. The food was outstanding, the service could not have been better. Our wait person was very nice, she took the time to answer our questions and was very attentive.
We plan to return for dinner just as soon as possible. If you go there....besure to check out the restrooms...very nice.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 June 2006

My husband and I wanted to check out this restaurant over the renovated Tower of the Americas in San Antonio, Texas. I can tell you that the service is one of the wost I have ever seen. It is very slow and not very efficient. The waiter kept dissapearing on us, and I think it has to do with the fact that they may be understaffed. Usually at fine restaurants the waiter only has two tables, in this case I think he had four tables.

The food was okay, I had the crab bisque and linguine pescatore, which were both very good. Now the dessert - a traditional flan - was THE worst I have ever had. It was runny and waaay too sweet. My husband had iceberg wedge and filet mignon, they were both very good. But the side of the onion rings he ordered came out cold, so they had to place another order. At the end of the meal we had coffee, which was excellent, a must try.

Overall, the view was nice, the ambience terrible as there were kids running around and people not dressed for the type of restaurant they aim to be. If they really want to make it a fine restaurant at a higher level, they should require jackets for the gentlemen. The food was okay but the service killed it. We will definetely not go back.

12  Thank snshn3