“Beautiful views but food just ok”
Review of Paloma Riverwalk

Good for: Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Florida
“Beautiful views but food just ok”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stopped at Paloma for lunch while on vacation in San Antonio. The views are great and even had a Mexican band playing while we were eating. But the food was just so so. Nothing special or memorable at all. I had shrimp fajitas and my husband had enchiladas. Ducks are cute walking around the tables begging for food but not too thrilled about the pigeons sitting on the tree limbs above our head. Really surprised that people don't complain about these birds.It wasn't that it was bad, it just wasn't anything that we will remember 2 weeks from now.

Fort Worth, Texas
“Great cucumber margarita while sitting by the water”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Enjoyed a couple of cucumber margaritas by the water under an umbrella avoiding the rain. We only had chips and salsa with our drinks, but we enjoyed both. We were initially rebuffed because of an impending rain shower, but we got to enjoy people, river, and duck watching while sipping our delightful beverages.

• Visited May 2014
“Overpriced, with small portion sizes. Some items were tasty, while others were not.”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My family and I usually come to San Antonio once or twice a year. When we do so, we usually dine at Casa Rio or The Original Mexican Restaurant. Last week, we were able to stay a little longer than usual. After visiting our usual restaurants above, we decided to try something new and eat at Paloma.

We ordered the $8.95 queso. Even on the riverwalk, when paying $8.95 for queso, you would expect at least a small bowl, as opposed to a cup. However, we were given a cup of queso instead of a bowl. As someone who was a restaurant server in college, I almost never complain at a restaurant. However, I made an exception due to the price and size of the queso. When I asked the server if we were given the right queso, he told me that it was that size due to the location of the restaurant. I told him that we had eaten at other mexican restaurants in the same location (the two cited above) and their queso does come in a bowl, and yet is still a couple dollars cheaper. He then told me it was because their queso is authentic, while the other restaurants pour theirs from a can. While the queso was good, we did not think it tasted any better than the queso at the other two restaurants we had just eaten at. In fact, we liked the queso at Casa Rio better. I have attached a picture (below) of the queso.

On a side note, the server was very nice and friendly, as was the restaurant hostess.

Three of us ordered the lunch chicken fajitas. They were actually pretty good. I prefer my fajitas to come sizzling on a cast iron skillet, but the flavor was fine. In addition, I know that a number of mexican restaurants serve chicken fajitas on the plate for lunch. This was not a big issue.

My wife ordered cheese enchiladas. They were not very good. In fact, my wife literally had to unroll the entire tortilla/enchilada to see if there was anything inside of it. There was so little cheese inside, that even after completely unrolling it, she could barely see any at all. Despite cheese being poured over the top, we did not think they were very good.

I sent an email to management, however, they have yet to respond. If/when they do respond, I plan to update my review accordingly, if I have anything positive to report regarding future changes, etc.

Aside from the above, the chips and salsa were very good. In addition, the chicken fajitas were pretty good. Personally, I would recommend one of the other mexican restaurants along the riverwalk (Casa Rio or The Original Mexican Restaurant). However, if you don't mind paying higher prices, getting smaller portions, and if you avoid the cheese enchiladas, you will probably have a good experience.

San Antonio, Texas
“A great place if food poisoning is what you are after”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

It looked inviting. A nice table near the river. A great view. The smell of warm tortillas. The first clue should have been the long walk to the restroom upstairs inside. It was dark, dirty, and smelled not of tasty food, but of unkempt restaurant, Do not get me wrong, I have eaten in dives around the world and tens of food carts in Mexico, but this was no culinary adventure. It was an intestinal nightmare that cleansed my bowels for at least 24 hours.

Visited April 2014
“Worst restaurant on the water”
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Was in town for business so had to check out the historic Riverwalk. So many restaurants to choose from. Chose Paloma Riverwalk because it looked a little classier than the others. Ordered a glass of wine. The glass they serve is barely more than 5 sips at $11.50 per glass. I should have left then. My dinner came and I can't begin to describe the mess on my plate. I scraped all the stuff off the top and took a piece of chicken. It was so salty. I had a total of 3 pieces and couldn't have another. I had a bite of rice....again so salty. This is obviously the kind of restaurant that thinks salt=flavor. I told the waiter it was horrible. He said sorry, do you want your bill now? I paid my bill and couldn't get out of there fast enough. Go anywhere else but Paloma Riverwalk.

Visited May 2014