“Second Time is a Charm”

Ranked #8 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Victoria, Texas
“Second Time is a Charm”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at the Wild Oak Ranch a second time and found it to be about the same, only with a minor step up from a 3.5 to a 4.

A couple of notable variances this visit:

The pool side massages, frozen drinks and ample seating made it a "real" vacation spot worthy of its name.

I still do not like the idea of having to get up at 6am and camp out with a "Black Friday" mentality just to procure a nice hammock area. Seriously! People would actually put their stuff on them all day but not even be in the hammock area. I certainly did not want to go to prison for maiming some defenseless 30 something who believed camping out at 2am earned her the right for the hammock so we simply did not enjoy that 5-star luxury.

The mattress on our bed left our bones feeling like we had the flu. The mattress on the hide a bed fell through when my 12 year old son sat on the corner.

Housekeeping did come in and take our trash daily.

This was a plus! They, or the ghost from my room, broke my $20 hair brush that I had just bought less than 2 weeks ago. When we left for the day (around 11:30am), the hair brush was in tact. When we returned at 9pm, it was broken in half and put back in my hair bag. Best guess, someone bumped the bag while cleaning, my stuff fell out, the brush was accidentally stepped on and placed back into my bag. Worst guess, a poltergeist decided to come in and snap my brush handle (you have to put a LOT of weight on it to snap it .....) and put it back in my bag. I chose not to complain because I had already seen the housekeeping staff and I already knew the "it wasn't me" results of that conversation.

AC in the room was AWESOME. Sleep quality was much better this time, however the walls are still very thin and you can hear screaming kids in the evening. I found pure enjoyment stomping up the stairs early in the morning....just saying. :)

Parking can be a challenge. There is a HUGE tree in the MIDDLE of the parking lot at the Mesquite building that, if anyone with a real vehicle parks by, you have almost ZERO chance of getting around it. This tree is landscaping and not natural, therefore, it needs to GO. I saw a woman back into it the day we checked out. We almost scraped it in our truck trying to leave because a huge Hummer had parked on one side of it and another large vehicle on the other.

We had an excellent 5 star quality workout with CJ and appreciated the 1 hour class each morning! He really took us out of our comfort zones.

The lazy river, beach, pool, balcony, massages, glitter tattoos and all the other amenities left us with a $200 check out bill (our room was already paid for) but all in all, it was amazing and relaxing. The access to SeaWorld was perfect (curbside pickup). We enjoyed smores and movies under the stars too (get there early, bring extra pillows, libations and bug spray)!

Overall, we really do enjoy ourselves here. It is great for families with children, especially small loud ones. No furry ones.

Reminder: You can simply say NO if they ask you to listen to their spiel about the timeshare. They did not press or pressure us in any way.

Room Tip: CORNER rooms that do not share an entry are probably the best. Parking is a premium and there is no...
2 Thank Nikki W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Royse City, Texas
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I give this resort an A+. This is perfect for family. My kids loved the lazy river and the slide into the pool. We loved the outdoor movie at night and all the kid activites throughout the day. This place is amazing. Everything you need is right on the property. The staff was excellent and everyone there was very attenitive and friendly. I absolutly recommend this for any family.

1 Thank Jennifer W
Leander, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Wild Oak Ranch in San Antonio is across the street - separate- from the Hill Country Hyatt. It is set up apartment/condo style. Loved it! A little quieter but in a good way. JB's restaurant had excellent easy food to get following pool time. The lazy river has a beach area for kids. Both pools have the nicest waitress/bar tenders who check on your party regularly...but don't bug you. CJ is the recreation director and on Sat night he had music, tacos, smores, a bar and fire pits going at the pavilion. My husband actually danced with me! First time in...15 years? The overall grounds are relaxed but you will never want for something to do. Our unit was clean, comfortable. Definitely worth the price. We will be back.

Room Tip: Mountain Laurel and Persimmon refer to the "groups" of rooms available. Both of these are...
2 Thank Kendall G
West, Texas
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have been to this property several times in the winter, but this was my first summer stay. Everything was great - shuttle service to Sea World was super, the cabana staff at the pools, the servers at the restaurant, and especially the staff at camp armadillo made this a great four day get away. My daughter was begging to go to camp armadillo to be with Alyssa, Mercedes, and Patricia. The family movies on the lawn were great!!! Will definitely be back!!!!

4 Thank Cindi M
Dublin, California
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We love this place for the following reasons:

1. They have the best customer service, they go above and beyond to please guests. They opened the store for us after hours to let us buy food.
2. We used points to book a suite and were upgraded to a one bedroom.
3. This hotel is so much smaller than the Marriott. We had friends staying at Marriott who said they were touching shoulders with each other on lazy river.
4. You can go over to the Hyatt Hill Country and use their facilities.
5. I feel very SAFE here!!!

This by far is the best hotel in San Antonio, there is no need to live the resort once you check in. Feels like paradise in the US.

2 Thank anogues
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed 3 days. Very relaxing. We had a 2 room suite, master bath was amazing with whirlpool tub and separate shower. Master had a nice king bed. Second room had 2 double size beds and plenty of room. We took their shuttle to Sea World...return trip was a bit slow as they were late getting there. Lazy river was very relaxing. Short drive to downtown San Antonio, 15-20 min. Rooms were a bit on the pricey side but we had 6 people in the room and one got the sleeper sofa.

1 Thank Mark H
Aledo, Texas
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is a great place to visit as a family. We love the rooms, the lazy river, the pool, and all the events.

However . . . the staff does not seem to have a "here to please" attitude. They tend to act like the guests are troublesome. Until we met Rosanna! She was wonderful. She was excited to serve and cared about our family.

Thank you!!!!