“Bed bug bites all over us and brought the stupid bugs home with us!”

Hyatt Residence Club San Antonio, Wild Oak Ranch
Ranked #28 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed one night to visit family in the area. I wanted a place where the kids could play and not feel like we were stuck in the hotel. We were very happy with the short trip until we got home and discovered we were covered in bed bug bites. I thought maybe we got bit outside while there until I discovered that we brought bed bugs home with us! We could not have gotten them anywhere else because we were only out of town one day and we did not go anywhere else except some local restaurants. It wouldn't be so hard to accept had we not paid over $400 for ONE NIGHT. We will not go back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TexasFamily987
Jami C, Resort Manager at Hyatt Residence Club San Antonio, Wild Oak Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear TexasFamily987, I am very concerned reading your review and would like to invite you to contact me directly via email at jchampagne@hyattvoi.com so that we can discuss your concern. I do want to assure you that we take any report of bed bugs very seriously and we have a strict protocol and program to address possible cases. I would like to let you know that all of our mattresses are new and were purchased within the past calendar year and we have not had any cases of bed bugs at The Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch. I do hope that you are willing to contact me directly. Thank you, Jami Champagne

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a 4th time and relaxing as always! We love Hyatt Wild Oak it is such a great place to take your family. I will say they do need to take care of a few maintenance issues. The rooms are still very nice and clean. The space is perfect for big families. The food was good service was a little slow but we had a party of 16 so probably to be expected. If you want a cabana near the river go down by 7! Sitting by the river and floating it is so relaxing. The slides are great entertainment! We will definitely be back!

Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Travelsnob22Dallas
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This was our first trip to San Antonio...we had a great time at Hyatt Wild Oaks. The kids had a blast on the water slides and lazy river. There is a lot to do on site...especially smores and movies at night. It was very close to Sea World too. There is a restaurant on site that was decent but they did not have room service which I thought was a negative. Overall a great place and we would definitely go back.

2  Thank StephsFavs
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We are just completing a 10 day stay here with our two pre-teen kids. Overall, the quality of the rooms, the pools and other amenities, and the quality / value of the resort was clearly a 5 ("Excellent"). There are only three small items which bring the overall rating down to a 4 - and these are minor and may not be important to you. First, the good stuff.

This hotel is really close to just about anything you want to see in the greater San Antonio area. We went to the Riverwalk area several times and it took 20-22 minutes every time. The drive to SeaWorld is less than 5 minutes, and the hotel offers a free shuttle you can schedule. We also visited Six Flags and Schlitterbahn, which took 22 and 38 minutes, respectively. So, 5* for the location. The hotel staff was very helpful, our room was fresh and clean every day and the lazy river and pool were both perfect for our active kids. There is plenty of good lounging space poolside as well with nice hammocks and cabana's, and ample trees and umbrellas for shade. Our two-bedroom place had a well-equipped kitchen with everything in good working condition and we utilized the grills several nights as well. There was a nice firepit area for evening chats and smores, and great movies under the stars every night of the week. We ate most meals in, and found the shopping in the area to be reasonable.

Now for the minor negatives. First, as others have mentioned, is parking. Several nights we had to park a good 5 min walk from our building as the parking lot in front of our building filled up (Live Oak building). A minor inconvenience, except that many cars chose to park illegally in the fire lane, creating a very hazardous situation. Second, and a bit more concerning and related, is the number of people who just drove up, parked and used the pool without proper wristbands or parking passes. We did a count one crowded Sunday afternoon - 80% of the people did not have wristbands, and 75% of the cars did not parking passes. This makes me upset because we paid to use the facilities others were obviously using for free. When mentioned to the pool and lobby staff, they indicated they were aware of the problem and were "working on it." Did not help us, as the pool was quite crowded on the weekends. Finally, and also related and really nothing the hotel can do about it, is the people. I found many of the other guests to be very friendly and nice. But a good number of them were just plain rude, annoying and low-class all around. I could give you plenty of examples, but its not worth the effort. Suffice it to say, if you are comfortable smiling and keeping to yourself, this shouldn't impact your stay.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are far away from the pools, so opt for a room which faces away from the pool and...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Jim R
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My wife and I took our son and 4 of his friends to Wild Oak for his 10th birthday weekend. Grandparents and friends met us out there and all of us were blown away. The pool and lazy river were perfect and kept the kids going non-stop until they were hungry. We ate at two of the restaurants on property and both were outstanding and then the kids were gone again to the pool, game room or ping pong table. They had a blast, parents were able to hang out at the pool, it could not have been any better.

This resort gets an A+ from me and my family and would recommend it to any family for a vacation.

1  Thank Travis S
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at the Wild Oak Ranch a second time and found it to be about the same, only with a minor step up from a 3.5 to a 4.

A couple of notable variances this visit:

The pool side massages, frozen drinks and ample seating made it a "real" vacation spot worthy of its name.

I still do not like the idea of having to get up at 6am and camp out with a "Black Friday" mentality just to procure a nice hammock area. Seriously! People would actually put their stuff on them all day but not even be in the hammock area. I certainly did not want to go to prison for maiming some defenseless 30 something who believed camping out at 2am earned her the right for the hammock so we simply did not enjoy that 5-star luxury.

The mattress on our bed left our bones feeling like we had the flu. The mattress on the hide a bed fell through when my 12 year old son sat on the corner.

Housekeeping did come in and take our trash daily.

This was a plus! They, or the ghost from my room, broke my $20 hair brush that I had just bought less than 2 weeks ago. When we left for the day (around 11:30am), the hair brush was in tact. When we returned at 9pm, it was broken in half and put back in my hair bag. Best guess, someone bumped the bag while cleaning, my stuff fell out, the brush was accidentally stepped on and placed back into my bag. Worst guess, a poltergeist decided to come in and snap my brush handle (you have to put a LOT of weight on it to snap it .....) and put it back in my bag. I chose not to complain because I had already seen the housekeeping staff and I already knew the "it wasn't me" results of that conversation.

AC in the room was AWESOME. Sleep quality was much better this time, however the walls are still very thin and you can hear screaming kids in the evening. I found pure enjoyment stomping up the stairs early in the morning....just saying. :)

Parking can be a challenge. There is a HUGE tree in the MIDDLE of the parking lot at the Mesquite building that, if anyone with a real vehicle parks by, you have almost ZERO chance of getting around it. This tree is landscaping and not natural, therefore, it needs to GO. I saw a woman back into it the day we checked out. We almost scraped it in our truck trying to leave because a huge Hummer had parked on one side of it and another large vehicle on the other.

We had an excellent 5 star quality workout with CJ and appreciated the 1 hour class each morning! He really took us out of our comfort zones.

The lazy river, beach, pool, balcony, massages, glitter tattoos and all the other amenities left us with a $200 check out bill (our room was already paid for) but all in all, it was amazing and relaxing. The access to SeaWorld was perfect (curbside pickup). We enjoyed smores and movies under the stars too (get there early, bring extra pillows, libations and bug spray)!

Overall, we really do enjoy ourselves here. It is great for families with children, especially small loud ones. No furry ones.

Reminder: You can simply say NO if they ask you to listen to their spiel about the timeshare. They did not press or pressure us in any way.

Room Tip: CORNER rooms that do not share an entry are probably the best. Parking is a premium and there is no...
2  Thank Nikki W
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I give this resort an A+. This is perfect for family. My kids loved the lazy river and the slide into the pool. We loved the outdoor movie at night and all the kid activites throughout the day. This place is amazing. Everything you need is right on the property. The staff was excellent and everyone there was very attenitive and friendly. I absolutly recommend this for any family.

1  Thank Jennifer W