“Excellent property, great for families!”

Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
Ranked #9 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Memphis
“Excellent property, great for families!”
Reviewed 18 March 2010

Stayed here first week of March, and was quite impressed. From what I can tell, it's like a somewhat less-ritzy version of the more well-known Hyatt Hill Country across the road....but you get a 2-room suite with full kitchen and a heated indoor-outdoor pool with slides for a better price. And a lazy river! (although it's not heated).

The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. And unlike a lot of vacation-owner properties, they didn't give me a high-pressure pitch to buy.....just asked if I'd like to take a tour, and when I said 'no', that was the end of it.

I paid only $179 a night, plus 20% off that price with Hyatt gift checks you can buy at Costco ($79 for $100 gift checks). An incredible deal considering what this place offers! But keep in mind I was there just before the big Spring Break crowd...so I'm sure the price is higher through the summer.

There's a playground, and they have some sort of family activity each evening (Making s'mores over the outdoor firepits, horeshoes, bingo, badmitton, etc.). And their 'kids camp' is supposed to be nice, although we didn't use that. My kid loved the heated indoor-outdoor pool, and the 2 big waterslides. The pool is basically 3 feet deep all the way, so it's great for smaller kids. The lazy river is fantastic, and comes complete with a sandy beach area. First come-first serve cabanas provide shade, and several even have very comfy hammocks. A small nature trail provided another diversion...we walked it each morning and saw rabbits and squirrels. There's a nice fitness room, several hot tubs, fire pits, a media room with computers and internet, a game room, pool table, ping pong table, and a DVD library. And of course, Sea World is a 5 minute drive.

The on-property restaurant was only open during lunch while we were there, so I can't speak about the food or the bar service (yeah, I sure missed the bar service). But the 'general store' that's on site features a few ready-made sandwiches and salads, and they'll do if you're starving. Most nights, we ate at restaurants up the road.

All in all, I was really impressed with the quality and value, and would recommend this place very highly! Especially if you can go during a time when you get a good $ deal.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank ImaPickyTraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Kansas City
Reviewed 22 February 2010

We stayed here with all of our family for my brother's USAF graduation. We had 4 different rooms all next to each other. One room had the nice big jet tub...very nice. Pros: great location especially for Lackland, free parking, great hotel value. Cons: super thin walls - I could make out what my in-laws were saying in there room and hear their TV like it was in my room. Also the hotel accused my sister-in-law of stealing the hangers out of the room. They added $40 to her credit card. She stayed at the hotel for almost 2 weeks, think how much that cost, and were trying to cheat her out of $40 for hangers. The hanger BTW are the kind that only work in hotel rooms not the kind you can just go hang up at home in your own closet. After several conversations with the hotel, the hotel agreed they were in the wrong and removed the charges.

My parents came down a week earlier and stayed at The Hyatt Country Hill Resort and they thought it was much better, but it was booked for our week and I think it was a little more expensive.

Overall if we had to go to San Antonio again we would probably try for the Hyatt Country Hill or this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank bruiserjohnson
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 30 November 2009

Went to see my son at Lackland and this hotel was pretty convenient. It has great water features and kids would have a blast here. Very nice grounds. I had studio room, which would work for 2 people. Microwave & mini frig. Comfortabl bed and pretty room. Nice balcony with two chairs so I could go outside and smoke. Really a nice place with an elevator (I was on the third floor) and a laundry facility right outside my room. I think larger rooms have laundry right in suite. Nice place to settle in for several days and kids would love it here. Hot tub, game room, fitness equipment, pool table and family activities, including camp fires in the evenings and movie night.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Gena C
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 27 November 2009

This resort has something for everybody. It was a great vacation.
the resort is really close to downtown san antonio, which is a beautiful city, i just loved everything.

Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank isachaos
San Francisco
Reviewed 22 November 2009

Stayed here for the second consecutive year on a one week long vacation. I love the amenities and comfort of Hyatt Wild Oak. My only disappointment was the lack of services provided by the cleaning staff. I was there for an entire week and they only emptied the wastebaskets, often neglecting the kitchen waste. I was there from Sun-Sat. You wait until Wednesday for overall cleaning or pay for the services. Well, on Wednesday when we arrived back, only bath towels had been replaced. The trash hadn't been taken out! We are always busy and just too tired to complain as it was occuring. If it weren't for the cleaning problems I would easily give this resort 4.5 stars.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank CorcoranStarlight
pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 November 2009

We stayed at the Hyatt Wild Oak in November, and after doing many months of research on the Lackland area, found that this place was unbeatable. We were right, everything was extremely clean, Room service always made our beds and cleaned up. Although we were gone quite a bit, due to running back and forth to Lackland, Sea World, and the River Walk, we didn't have alot of time to spend at the resort, but we did manage to take our grandson to the pool the last day. It was amazing how beautiful and clean it was. I was truly amazed. We did dine at the onsite restaurant, and for the price we weren't impressed. Don't waste your money!. Our room consisted of a 1-bedroom with an adjoining studio. We had plenty of room for our family and the inlaws. If you have a family I would suggest upgrading to the 1 bedroom, there isen't alot of room in the studio room. Also, just a aheads up on anyone staying here for Lackland graduation, don't try to do everything with your airman. We were so pushed for time due to our airman needing to be back on base at certain times, and with traffic you don't have the time you think. Our airman really wanted to just stay and relax at the resort, not go see all the sights. You really have to do alot of running back and forth to the base. It took approx. 15 minutes to get there and sometimes a little longer depending on traffic. A must have is a GPS, the city hwy's are very tricky!! Although, we won't be going back, if this place was closer we would definantly stay again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank airmanmom40
Kennewick, Washington
Reviewed 30 October 2009

We booked one of the two bedroom lock off rooms, which had plenty of room for 4 adults and 1 child. The bathroom with the walk-in shower was huge with 2 sinks, which was great for getting ready in the morning. We could have easily spent a couple days at the resort in the pool, water slides, and fire pit. It is just a few blocks from SeaWorld. If you buy snacks or food there, it is spendy, just like all hotels and resorts. We will absolutely go back!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family