“It is really underwhelming”

Comfort Inn & Suites Airport
Ranked #158 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Pros:
CHEAP (military rate)
Friendly staff

Cons:
Location isn't really ideal and kind of hard to find, so easy to miss the turn!
No late check out (see below)
Pool looks very gross and is quite small
The breakfast made me feel sick, only ate it twice and second time I just had the stale bagel.
Elevator smelled bad
Ran out of non-smoking rooms (smoking room smelled awful)
Hotel could really use a re-model and update rooms
Air conditioner seemed to leak as carpet was damp around the unit

They don't really offer late check out, was forced to pay a whole day extra because they couldn't accommodate a 3 PM check out when they were clearly empty on a Monday afternoon. I would of gladly even paid a small fee like $25 for late check out (rate was $75). I have a membership with IHG that provideds me with 4 PM check-out, I was sarcastically informed this was not IHG (only negative experience with staff). I understand they are just doing their job, but it is really annoying that the management here cannot create a policy for those who are departing later in the evening. I really think next time it is worth it to pay the extra to stay at IHG because there I would of only had to pay 4 nights versus 5 nights here.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I will start out with the positives and get to the reason I only rated it average.

So the good stuff: from making the reservation to the check in the guy at the desk was very helpful. He was friendly and welcomed our dog. That's another plus, they welcomed the dog and the pet deposit price was very reasonable.

Overall the room was nice. The bed was comfortable which was another plus. The TV was nice- they have a lot of channels for a hotel- which was nice because we had a low-key weekend that was meant for relaxing. So we went to bed early and slept late. Didn't experience breakfast, we got Whataburger near the hotel and then ate after we checked out.

The only negative thing I have to mention was that the comforter was dirty. I'm not taking stained, I could deal with stained. But I discovered a brown flaky spot on the comforter near the head of the bed and a crusty spot further down on the comforter. The bathroom was not as clean as I could be (shower head was scummy...). The crusty comforter really weirded me out. But when I called the desk at 11pm to tell them of this discovery the guy at the desk was really apologetic and sent us up two king size blankets very promptly. So once the blankets were delivered I felt better.

The housekeepers didn't clean our room the next day, but we didn't go out for the day until 2pm. They were on our floor, guess we missed the cut off. But that's ok actually The room was as we left it and that was fine by me. I was a little paranoid they would put the crusty comforter on the bed again...

Another bonus I almost forgot: the AC worked well. So that was great!

So overall a good hotel, friendly staff, good location pretty comfortable. Needs more in the way of cleanliness but I am not sure if we had a unique experience or if this is a common theme here. We will likely stay here again due to the friendly staff, the swift delivery of clean blankets, the location, and the rate. However, I will be sure to inspect the bedding!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

There's hardly any lighting.really creepy at night, the pool steps were Brown, the stairs looked like they came straight out of a zombie movie, we stayed there for 2 nights and we didn't realize til we left that there were green stains on the sheets and we KNOW that it wasn't us.morning breakfast gave me and my gf a stomach ache.I think it was the eggs.New front desk lady was trying to be nice but had a naturally bad attitude.when I checked out the other front desk lady was in the back talking to whom ever and I waited for almost 5 minutes until she came out.slow service.if you're used to decent hotels this isn't it.cheap yes, but also VERY CREEPY

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I have no idea who reviewed this hotel but they should lose their review privileges. The front desk employees were friendly but they could not cover up for all of the deficiencies of the hotel. The hotel looked like it hadn't been renovated in over 20 years. The room was not available when we checked in because it was still being cleaned which was fine but when we got to our room, it was not clean. There was some kind of mold from the pipes and the smell was unbearable in the bathroom. The fitness center included a few machines but those were probably from the stone ages. Carpet in the hallways were old. The elevator smelled and the outside pool didn't look clean.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank DCMalu
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed here briefly. We arrived fairly late, check in was quick and friendly. Price was reasonable and the room was clean. Location is close to the airport, but the hotel does not offer an airport shuttle. There are several restaurants nearby.

We woke up late and went to the breakfast close to the closing time. I expected to find picked over choices of food but was pleasantly surprised to find a great selection late in the morning. The Texas shaped waffle irons were a cute touch.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I booked online in advance and got a great rate for 2 nights! The suite was extremely clean, with a fridge, microwave, coffee station, comfy bed, big bathroom with a walk in shower. I could have used a few more towels ... but the towels were plush and smelled good.
The breakfast had a lot of variety and was kept replenished well. We saw many families able to find something everyone liked.
We had a trainee check us in and she was a little too aggressive ... but we had no real problem. They gave good directions and were very willing to answer questions we had about the area.
We used the pool and the exercise room and they were also clean and easy to use. Was not happy that the hot tub was out of order. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: booking online in advance saved me $$.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Princess L L
Reviewed 5 January 2014

What ever you do stay away from this hotel if you want to catch your plane. Had a 6:30 AM reservation at the front desk when we checked in the night before to catch our 7:45 AM flight. Chose this hotel to insure we were close on a holiday weekend only to find the front desk at 6:30 AM stating they had no driver on duty and a cab had been called. WHAT?! No one said anything about a cab....Then all we heard was that the cab company lost the reservation and would be there soon...at almost 7:00 the cab arrives and by the time we get to the airport it is CHAOS with people everywhere. Were it not for my priority status, we would have NEVER made the flight. As it was we just got there as they were boarding. NEVER AGAIN

Room Tip: stay away if you need to fly from here
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple