“Yet Another Wonderful Stay at the Crockett!”
Review of Crockett Hotel

Crockett Hotel
Ranked #23 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“Yet Another Wonderful Stay at the Crockett!”
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We stayed here a couple of years ago for a quick weekend trip & enjoyed it. We just returned today from our second stay, a 4 night mini-vacation from Houston. I can not think of ONE bad thing to say about this hotel! We arrived early, & a room was ready for us. When we asked about an upgrade, we had already been given one (queen standard to a king)! Eduardo, who checked us in, remembered us by name throughout our stay... Room was large, bed comfy, bath spotless! Our windows were on the interior, overlooking the lobby, so that was a bit different- not bad, just different. Lights & AC noise did not bother us as some have said. We also had a HUGE closet, which was great, as we could spread our clothes out comfortably. Breakfast was pretty standard, but a nice (free!) perk. Valet parking was good, no problems- yes, you pay, but...you would pay for parking anywhere around this location! One morning they were very busy, so we just asked for the keys- they totally understood, & we were out in 5 minutes. The pool area was perfect- a great way to relax for a bit before heading out to dinner. Never crowded, always shaded, & towels provided quickly if you had to request them. The bar, Ernie's, has limited hours, but again is a great place to relax & have a drink either before or after dinner. The young gentleman bartending is very entertaining, has lots of stories to tell if you let him... As I said before, I can't really think of a complaint to share! The Crockett is officially our "go to" hotel in San Antonio, & I would recommend it to any of my friends!!!

• Stayed August 2011
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
We are very happy that we had the opportunity to welcome you back for a return visit to the Crockett Hotel. And thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experiences with others.

We strive every day to make the Crockett Hotel you home away from home, while you visit San Antonio. We know our outstanding location alone will not make the difference, but that it is the staff's attention to detail and committment to customer service that make us successful.

We will share your comments with our staff, and we look forward to seeing you once again some time soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
United States
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I will write a review after my wife and I stay there this weekend. Here's to hoping we don't have some of the problems reported by the guests who took the time to write the previous reviews.

I am a writer for the New York Times and I will be thorough in my review.....talk to you guys next week........8.4.2011

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Worcester
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I visited San Antonio for a conference but had some free leisure time too so I booked in at the Crockett Hotel. I loved it! The room I had was very spacious and extremely comfortable. I believe that the hotel has been refurbished and the decor is pale green and cream and extremely clean. The staff were friendly and courteous at all times. The hotel's location is fantastic. Across the road from the Alamo and just a few steps away from trolley tours, bus tours, shopping mall, museums and the other historic hotel, the Menger. I usually hire a car when travellin but didn't need to bother, everything was easily accessible from the doorstep of the Crockett Hotel.

The Alamo is of course steeped in history and it was a real pleasure to stay at one of the historic hotels in the city. Complimentary breakfast was included - this can be a bit manic if everyone turns up at the same time. There was a reasonable choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, juices, waffles, croissants and bagels with hot drinks. It was Easter when I was there and the staff gave everyone an egg with breakfast which was a nice touch.

There is a small pool area that is accessible from reception (you need to walk across the drive to a gate). This is a pleasant oasis from the city to relax with clean towels, sunbeds, chairs and tables.

I would highly recommend this hotel if travelling to San Antonio for business or pleasure and I will definitely be staying again in the future.

Room Tip: Book direct with the hotel for their 'best price room' much better value than anything else...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 30 July 2011

The breakfast was reasonable, especially considering the price. The room is small, but nothing that results in greater discomfort, considering the price ... I was satisfied with the bathroom quality: well furnished and functional, considering the price ... The higher points are the location (behind to the Alamo, and very next to Riverwalk etc) and the cleanliness of the hotel. There is a key advice related to the breakfast: avoid fruits already cut, because they have seemed to not show the best hygiene patterns, and I say that due to the intestinal discomfort that I felt then. I also suggest requesting a room facing the street, avoiding those facing the lobby; my room was right over the lobby and it was very unpleasant. The hotel manager was very articulate and polite, but it cannot be said the same for the rest of the hotel staff (mainly the front desk staff).

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Julio O
Harker Heights, Texas
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This was a great place to stay all the history valet parking, large rooms, great staff and just steps away from the magnificent Alamo/downtown San Antonio. Very memorable visit. Thanks Crockett and staff.

• Stayed February 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I was so excited to stay in this hotel, which is on a few historic building registries. Pros: Great location! The building itself is beautiful, unique, and surprisingly clean, especially considering it's age. The front desk clerks were always helpful and friendly. I had a queen; the room was small but not cramped. There was a television and blowdryer, but no fridge or coffee maker (I don't drink coffee anyway, but noticed there were some instant coffee packets). The bathroom was a good size and very clean. The A/C worked magnificently. Breakfast was delicious, with fresh food but no meat like bacon or sausage (fine by me!). There was fresh fruits, juices, milk, yogurt, bagels, pastries, waffles, and eggs. I was pleasantly surprised by this free breakfast. Cons: Fabric shower curtain liners are my pet peeve-I've never been able to take a shower using one without water puddling up outside of the tub. The drain clogged very easily, so my showers had to be very quick. The water temperature fluctuated, which is to be expected because it's an older building with lots of rooms. The walls are very thin, so we could hear our neighbors (not above us, just next to us). The ice machine was near my room, and I woke up a few times during the night whenever someone got ice. I use an app on my phone that creates white noise, and still had trouble sleeping. I didn't hear much street traffic despite the fact that I was on the end of the building. The bed was too firm for my liking, and there were only two pillows (but I'm sure I could've gotten more if I asked). Overall, I would stay here again, but will be exploring some other area hotels.

Room Tip: Request a room not near an ice machine
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post some photos and a review of your recent stay.

We appreciate your honest feedback and your recognition of the unique, clean, convenient property that is the Crockett Hotel.

We want to apologize that you did not enjoy a great night's sleep during your stay. We have our ice machines on a timed circuit so that they no longer run after 10 pm each night. They stop producing ice at this time, but remaining ice can still be dispensed.

We do have 1 additional pillow and blanket in every closet, and have additional pillows available upon request. We also have a coffee brewer in each room that brews a single cup of coffee at a time (not instant coffee). You may have missed it since there is no multi cup carafe.

We will look into options that may provide mp3 playability and also white noise generation, clock/radio/alarm options. This may be an item that we can incorporate in our ongoing efforts to enhance the in-room items that we offer for our guests enjoyment.

Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to you being a returning guest in the near future.
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 25 July 2011

close to everything - truly right next to the Alamo, short walk to Riverwalk and other tourist attractions, easy highway access for anything. Breakfast was good with fresh fruit, brand name cereal, waffle iron, juices and coffee. But it was crowded! And not eeryone cleaned up after themselves ... Pool was very attractive, with ample towels, just really small.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family