“Glass half empty or half full?” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crockett Hotel

Crockett Hotel
Ranked #21 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Van Nuys, CA
“Glass half empty or half full?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

There are good things and not so good things to say about the Crockett Hotel
Good- Start with location, it is right next to the Alamo. You can walk out a door of the Crockett, cross the street, and there is the back entrance to the Alamo. The Riverwalk mall entrance was across the street, too. The included breakfast was quite good and had enough choices for most people. The staff is extremely friendly and wants to help if necessary

Not so good- The rooms are very small, barely enough room for the 2 full-size beds. There is NO space to put one's toiletries at the sink. I was forced to use the window sills. Finally, although this is not a big deal, there was a constant humming noise that seemed to becoming from the Riverwalk Mall exhaust fans. These happened to be located on the side I was staying.
I am not sure if I would stay here again, but I would not rule it out, either

Room Tip: Try to find a room that is not directly across from the Riverwalk Mall
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Staunton, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

What a nice hotel for the price and the location!! Some things to plan for, Valet parking in ADDITION to your stay. It is $20 which is REALLY reasonable for that side of town BUT I wish I knew when I was shopping for the best place and price to stay. Other than that, it was VERY clean, had a Neat bar with very reasonable drink prices. It is an older hotel, but update very nicely! Valet parking was also VERY prompt, never taking more than 10-15 minutes. Just call them while you are getting ready. This is RIGHT across from the Alamo, and within SHORT walking distance of the river walk. It has nice free wifi, and the free breakfast was good. Had Waffles, omeletes, some fruit and fruit juices.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Montgomery, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

I have stayed in San Antonio a ton of times and this location was by far the best being RIGHT behind the Alamo. Perfect for shopping at the mall and just a short walk to the Riverwalk. Our room had "windows" that looked into the lobby which was very bright at all times even through the nice shutters they had up. The bed and pillow were very firm so a good night's rest was hard with the bed, brightness, and the fact that every time someone shut their room door it echoed down the hall. The hotel was very clean and the staff were all very friendly even though the valets were hard to find. The breakfast was decent for a buffet so overall it is a maybe to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BriannaW2323
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

This hotel is great because of it's location - right across the street from both the Alamo and the river center mall, and within walking distance to the river walk (without having to walk past those main highways the other hotels are by).

The lobby is cool and they have a nice little bar with a very friendly bartender and cheap drinks :).

The rooms are very basic, had that motel feel to them, but the hotel is also over 10 years old so you can't expect modern luxury.

We stayed one night and were happy with the hotel overall. The Texas shaped waffles at breakfast the next day were the best part!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Kireland7
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

The Crockett Hotel is in a great location, our bedroom looked straight over the grounds of The Alamo. We stayed there for 5 nights in August as a special treat for my husbands 60th birthday. The hotels' buffet breakfast in the morning was good and it was fun being able to make Texas shaped waffles too. The coffee could do with being a bit stronger but thats the only thing wrong with breakfast. It was nice having the little pool outside and a welcome place to go in the afternoon when it got very hot, it was great to cool off. The Riverwalk shopping mal was just across the road and a great place to eat. Our room was a good size and a very comfortable bed. We had no problems with noise though I think anyone near the ice machines would have had some problems with the noise from them.
Most of the staff were very nice and friendly though the reception staff were not as friendly as other staff. We arrived a day late due to being delayed at Dallas airport and we had a very rough start to our holiday because of staff shortages at Dallas. We arrived at The Crockett very tired and disappointed we had missed the first night of our holiday but the girl on reception showed no sympathy or concern for us, her only concern was to tell us we couldn't have a refund (even though I hadn't asked for one as we had booked through an other company) and then just handed us the key and returned to her computer. But overal, it is a great hotel and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Have a corner room over looking The Alamo at the front of the room if possible.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
We very much appreciate your thoughtful comments following your recent visit to the Crockett Hotel. Our unique and historic property is perfectly located to allow guests to easily take in all there is to see and do in the heart of our city.

We use guest comments daily in training and reinforcing our standards with our staff. Your comments about our receptionist upon your arrival will be shared with all of our staff. We do so, so that they may be more aware and better prepared to welcome and care for our future guests in the manner in which you should expect.

Thanks again for taking the time to share with us. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future.
neverneverland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

I had no idea when I planned our trip that we were reserving such an awesome place to stay! The room was beautiful, the view was awesome and the front desk people were AMAZING! The suite had connecting doors so you can connect with the room next door, if you have kids and the only draw back was that our neighbors were a little noisy. Other than that, this hotel was AMAZING!

Room Tip: Always book the suite. It is just as cheap as other hotel rooms, but is much nicer, roomier and hom...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Hampton, Virginia, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

The location of the historic Crockett is the best thing about this hotel. You are right across the street from the Alamo, across the street from the huge mall (behind the steak house sign) and a block or two from the Riverwalk.
The staff was wonderful including one gentleman who always remembered my name when he saw me (and I have a very hard last name for most people to pronounce, I was very impressed by this!).
The hotel was clean. Some may find the lack of heavy curtains on the windows allowing too much sun in the room (they have a thick wooden blinds); also the bed was a little too firm for me, but I did get used to it. Otherwise, the room was always very clean as well as the bathroom.
There was no microwave or small refrigerator in the room--I don't know if the Crockett has rooms like that but I did not request one. As I was out touring most of the day and night, it did not prove to be a big issue for me. There were no laundry facilities, but again I cleaned my clothes with some soap and water and allowed them to dry over the bathtub. It worked O.K. The outside pool was small in size, but still OK with only 2 or 3 people in it.
I read complaints about the breakfast - it was the same every morning but it was included in my price and it was a good start every day. Just loved the Texas shaped waffles, which you make yourself! I looked forward to my Texas waffle every morning.
That being said, I found this a great hotel for my purposes of touring the Alamo and downtown San Antonio. There may be more luxurious hotels with more and larger facilites, but this was just great for me.
I would recommend this to friends visiting San Antonio and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I read that some people thought rooms near the lobby were noisy. My room was near the back, fifth f...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo