“Super Trip.”
Review of Crockett Hotel

Crockett Hotel
Ranked #19 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 21 April 2013

This was a clean, friendly hotel. Reasonable price. You have 3 exits, each one just steps from the fun. One exit takes you to the Alamo. One exit takes you to skyline. One exit take you to the convention center. You are literally steps away from the mall and Riverwalk, Main Street fun activities. Horse drawn carriages. It is not a skyscraper hotel. Think more at home comfortable. I loved this hotel. Hints at it being haunted too, I saw or heard nothing however. Temperature in April was awesome, take a lightweight jacket. Gorgeous walks at night there.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 April 2013

I am currently staying at the Crockett. I was warmly greeted by a man who apologized for having a cough. I am here for the International Reading Assoc. Convention. I expected the small inside room facing the lobby because I got the convention discount. The room is small, comfortable, clean, and quiet (they turn off the ice machine at 10 PM for those rooms located near them, which mine is). Everyone has been friendly. I just checked the brand of mattress and it is a Seally Posturpedic. It is firm but comfortable. I took the Go Shuttle from the airport and had the first hotel drop-off. The pool area is lovely, and the location of the hotel is perfect. I had a drink at the hotel bar happy hour that looks across the street to the Alamo--free popcorn and discounted drinks from 4 - 7. There were TV's with the action going on in Boston as well as hockey. I have no complaints. I'm looking forward to breakfast tomorrow and then walking to the conference. I would come back with my husband and/or family.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2013

The Crockett is historical and has a great location but its not worth the money. The beds were horrible and very hard; only one extra electrical socket that worked but was lose on the wall and a fire waiting to happen. Also the shower head was small rusted and it couldn't be moved. There was also no vending or ice on the floor even though the signs direct you to and empty space. Eventually when I tracked down a maid she said you have to go on certain floors to get ice despite the signs. There was a complimentary breakfast but the only good thing was the make your own waffles that were Texas shaped. The rest was over cooked and nothing remarkable. The location was amazing though if you are sticking to the tourist sites like the Alamo, Ripley's Believe it or Not and the river walk. The Alamo is literally right across the street and the grounds were visible from the window. Over all you could get a much better hotel nearby and still be close to the sites without compromising comfort and modern amenities.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

We appreciate you being our recent guest and taking the time to provide some important feedback. Whenever a review provides come constructive criticism, we take that critique to heart and see how we can improve our operations for the future.

Our beds are all Sealy brand hospitality sets. They are a firmness that Sealy suggests which will appeal to the widest range of customers tastes. We are certainly sorry that the firmness provided was not to your liking. We will evaluate our selection for firmness in the future when we begin replacing our bedding sets.

We wanted to clarify the layout for vending on our guest floors. We have a soft drink vending machine on every floor (2-6) and an ice machine next to it on floors 2,3,5 & 6. Additionally, we offer a snack vending machine instead of an ice machine on the 4th floor. A sign at each vending area lists what is offered on the other floors in the hotel.

We will look into your report of a loose wall outlet. We have maintenance engineers on shift every day and will make the appropriate repair. The upkeep and safety of our guest rooms is our priority and we make repairs and do preventative maintenance every single day. Thank you for pointing this deficiency out to us.

We worked with SAWS (local water system) to convert all of the appliances(faucets, toilets, etc) with new water saving features in 2012, so all are less than 1 year old. We will also revisit the fixtures in our rooms to make sure they remain in top notch condition.

While the staff strives daily to 'get it all done perfectly', we need to know when we did not achieve our goal. We know we have room to grow and improve. We will work even harder to get back to maintaining our high standards for the Crockett Hotel.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

I have been during my life many hotels but this was one of the worst hotels where I have ever stayed (the Jungle hotels in Ecuador are worse).

You would consider than hotel in so good location and with so many positive feedbacks in Tripadvisor would be good but our experience was totally opposite.

But first the positive things (few)
-Hotel location is good, just next to River Walk and Mall
-Wlan in hotel was free and fast
-Valet parking was working nice and was relatively good price

Then the Negative things
-Rooms are terrible! Rooms are really small, carpet was really dirty in our room, AC was really noisy and blowing so fast that you couldn't sleep at all. Also no fridge in rooms at all. Also don't take room next to elevators because rooms doors are really thick.
-Breakfast was poor even comparing to normal poor american breakfast style. No bacon, no fruits, no bread, no coffee (empty), Only scrampel eggs and waffels. You don't really want to pay any extra of this kind of breakfast.
-It was really difficult to get in and out to hotel with trollyes so this is not your hotel if you are handicap or travelling with kids and trolleys.
-Hotel was expensive. If you are paying 150.USD avarage per night for this hotel you are really wasting your money. 50.USD per night would be reasonably night price for this level of hotel.

Room Tip: Take room away from elevator and don't use AC (If you can do this)
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
CrockettGM, General Manager at Crockett Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Thank you for your review of the Crockett Hotel.

We strive every day to be a clean and comfortable home away from home for our guests. Our historic hotel, next door to the Alamo and a very short walk to the Riverwalk has been a favorite for travelers to San Antonio for many many years.

We share all feedback with the team here so that they can learn what our guests have to say about their stay. So even critical feedback is helpful to know how to improve.

Cleanliness is a must for us. We have a dedicated team of housekeepers that care for the rooms and public areas of the hotel. We regularly shampoo room carpets and tiled floor areas. We track the frequency of this service and do this at least 4-5 x per year in each room.

Our breakfast is a complimentary enhanced continental breakfast. We serve it from 6:30-10a every day. It includes peaches, pineapple, apples, hard boiled eggs, fruit yogurt, cottage cheese, a variety of dry cereal, make-your-own waffles, scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs with sausage or ham, tortillas, cheddar cheese, and salsa. We also supply white and wheat toast, breakfast pastry and bagels. Coffee, tea, water, orange juice, apple juice and cranberry juice are available as well.

The attendants of the breakfast area keep it supplied up until the ending time of the breakfast period. Virtually all of these items should be have been available to you. We are very sorry that the breakfast buffet was not to your liking. We have added many of the items on the list above after hearing comments from our previous guests. We will continue to take in feedback and see if we can add or adjust our breakfast lineup in the future.

Once again, please accept our apologies for your recent stay.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

I travel to San Antonio a couple of times a year and love to stay at the historic hotels, so after spending time at the Menger the past couple of trips, I moved across the street to the Crockett .

I found everything to be wonderful, really enjoyed the stay. My room was small by todays standards, but that is what historic hotels are about, not microwaves, room safes and mini fridges. I hope they never add those "conveniences" to this hotel..Great staff and I love the small elevators, a trip back in time.... very convenient to the riverwalk, shopping mall and The Alamo. Walk everywhere, no need to drive...

Room Tip: I had room 217 this trip, and will ask for it again. Sure, a little noise from the lobby, but not du...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 April 2013

If you really want to experience an authentic San Antonio hotel, this is the one for you. It is not only steps from the Alamo and the Riverwalk, but has a old charm and once you step in, one can feel the history. Please stay here if you want an authentic San Antonio experience!!

Room Tip: Small but quaint!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I stayed in this hotel while I was in San Antonio attending a conference. I really liked the character of the hotel and very much enjoyed my stay. My room looked over the Alamo and was convenient for many of the attractions in the area. I was there for six days and never needed a car to get anywhere. The rooms were not luxurious, but the bed was comfortable and I slept great! The only down side to this trip was the massage that I received across the street at the Menger Hotel. However, I ate a couple of meals at the Menger and the food was very good.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business