“Don't Go When It's Cold”
Review of Crockett Hotel

Crockett Hotel
Ranked #17 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Don't go when it's cold applies to all of San Antonio but to the Crockett Hotel in particular. The heating system is just not up to it. It was noisy - ("wake you up" noisy), relatively ineffective (I kept a doggy bag from Boudro's on the window sill one night and it stayed cold) and did not extend to the bathroom, which at least had some heat lamps. Other than that, it has a modern lobby area, a reasonably good bar, and breakfast. I don't think it's a full-service restaurant - I never saw them serving anything other than breakfast, but the breakfast was okay - mostly breads and pastries. We typically went over to Schilo's Deli or the Menger for breakfast. The room itself was fine - a reasonable size, everything we needed. Not much of a view, but that wasn't a criteria.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,061)

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We held our company retreat at The Crockett for 2 days. We had a small group (10), but the boardroom was perfect for our needs. Our group had the 2 rooms that adjoin to the boardroom as well, which was very convenient. Check-in was quick and efficient. Everything was ready to go when we finished our meeting. We had a room overlooking the grounds of the Alamo. Compared to others in our group, our room was a tad smaller, but still more than enough for our purposes. We were street side and it was very quiet. We went to Ernie's (hotel's bar) before dinner. Great happy hour specials! Heather, the bartender, was great. Very friendly and had our orders down in no time. We enjoyed Ernie's so much that we changed our after dinner plans to return there instead. The staff was friendly. Breakfast was great. Breakfast tacos and Texas shaped waffles...what more could you want from a hotel next door to the Alamo? Great job Crockett Hotel!!

Room Tip: Ask for an outside room with a view of the Alamo grounds
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Very nice hotel across the street from the Alamo. Check-in and check-out was quick and painless. Super nice ladies at the front desk. Best of all we received a nice up-grade to a large junior suite with the rounded windows facing the Menger Hotel. The complimentary breakfast had a nice selection of rolls, hard boiled and scrambled eggs, fruit, make your own Texas shaped waffles and more.

Ernie's bar on the first floor has an extremely reasonable happy hour (cheap!) and the popcorn is constantly popping.

Great location just a short walk from the River. Parking is $20.00 per day. Your can pay less a block or so away but we found the parking at the hotel to be very convenient.

Room Tip: Just be nice and see what happens.
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The location was excellent, didn't need to use the car, The Alamo was across the road and the riverwalk was either through the shopping centre or two blocks away. Hotel staff very distant but helpful when asked. Breakfast was very average, scrambled egg varied in quality, no fruit. The room was large and comfortable, the partner hotel was almost empty when we went to try the restaurant one night. There is a car park fee of $20 per day not shown on the price detail.
The Alamo was lovely with a lot of history and the gardens were quiet and serene, the Riverwalk was great during the day and changed again in the evening when everyone came out to dine. there were fish, steal Irish, Mexican restaurants along both sides. The cathedral was beautiful but the market area was more for Mexicans with there arts and crafts.

1  Thank Anthony L
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We took at 3 day visit to SA staying at The Crockett. Unless you are staying directly on The Riverwalk, then this is your best location. It was only 1 block from The Riverwalk and across the street from The Alamo. You will pay for parking most anywhere in SA...bummer. Pay the $20 for the parking valet service at the hotel...yes you could find city parking lots to be cheaper but for unlimited coming and going it does work out better! The Crockett had a nice breakfast service. The waffles made in the shape of a Texas...of course...were delicious! The Crockett is listed in the Historic Registry of hotels.

2  Thank Norma M
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

The trip I took to a conference was boring!
THEN I WALKED INTO ERNIES BAR.
I had the best time I ever had at a bar. I meet 20 plus people from all ages races and creeds.
We had Heather as our bar tender and to say it was a blast would be an understatment.
Every time I have traveled I have searched for a place like this.
If you are looking for good drinks and intresting conversation dont pass up Erines at the Crockett hotel.
Mike

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

I was traveling for work and went through a third party website, I was clearly given one of there smallest and worst rooms. The beds are hard as a rock and the ac in the room was so loud it kept me up through the night. When I complained I was told that there was nothing they could do for me. I saw the way they treated other guests and I was treated like I was a lesser customer because I went and got a deal on the room. The only thing I would say was good about this hotel is the location. I will never stay here again and certainly will not recommend this hotel to anyone else

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends