“Wonderful Hotel”

Hotel Contessa
Ranked #5 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Stayed at Hotel Contessa and we were so impressed. The hotel decor is just beautiful and the rooms are awesome. Wanted to stay in the room more than anything. Our room was spotless. Rooms are huge as they are all suites. The service was above and beyond. From the minute we drove up the valet gentlemen could not be any nicer. The housekeepers and the front desk was just as nice. We got here at 10:30 and check in was not until 3:00 or 4:00, but they let us check in. This will be the only hotel that we stay at when we come to San Antonio to see our Spurs play. Thank you Hotel Contessa for such a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
HCGM, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2011

We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write all about your stay about Hotel Contessa. We are happy to hear that they enjoyed your visit and look forward to having you as guest again in the future.

Wende Blumberg-General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,329)

Reviewed 24 March 2011

Our first rooms were not clean... quality of the food inconsistent at best... pool area was filthy ... front desk and other staff was very rude. Lastly, to make the stay even better, valet parking did major damage to my car bumper and refused to take responsibility for it... it took me months to complete a claim and only because I had time coded pictures that defied the lies of the valet co and the hotel management was my claim eventually successful. All in all we did not enjoy our stay and would never stay there again. For those of you that did not get to use your breakfast coupons, no worries - you did not miss a thing. We threw ours away after the first day -- the breakfasts were that bad.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kgcobb

Our sincere apologies for your displeasure with Hotel Contessa. Everyone in the hospitality industry desires to provide their guests with a quality product and outstanding service, and reading through your comments we can see why you would be less than thrilled with your stay.

I apologize again, that we did not provide a better experience, we will always strive to do better, and I thank you for the constructive thoughts you have shared on your review.

Reviewed 23 March 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Contessa this past week-end and, while the hotel is beautiful and the rooms spacious, our bathroom floor had obviously not been cleaned in a very long time. My girlfriend spilled something on the bathrrom floor and when she wiped it up, the tissue she used was black. I thought maybe that was just a dirty spot, so I took a white hand towel and wiped one 12 x 12 tile in the corner by the toilet and the black filth that came off that bathroom floor was disgusting. When we were downstairs I asked the front desk clerk to send someone to clean our bathroom floor while we were out that evening and when we returned at 10 that night, the floor had not been touched. We were afraid to walk on it with our bare feet so we took towels from the pool area to cover the bathroom floor to walk on.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends

In reading your review and I was concerned to read about your experience with the cleanliness of your guest room. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize, as that was not the way we typically take care of our guests. We have discussed this topic with the the housekeeping management about the importance of double-checking rooms, and making any additional preventative maintenance cleaning prior to having the room available for guest to check in. I know that does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern.

I apologize again for the problems, and thank you for taking the time to let me know about it. Without your guest feedback we cannot continue to improve our services.

Wende Blumberg
Hotel Contessa

Reviewed 23 March 2011

I recently stayed four nights at the Contessa for a business conference. The hotel is stunningly beautiful, and right on a relatively quiet part of the famous Riverwalk. But my attempt to unwind at the end of the day with the PBS Newshour were not to be. It seems their cable service carries every known channel -- except PBS. How could such a well appointed 4 star hotel leave out this standard amenity?

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

We appreciate your compliments about our facilities. I do apologize that out cable provider does not carry PBS. We appreciate your comments and hope to have you return to the hotel.

I apologize again and thank you for your review.

Reviewed 16 March 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the Contessa. We were upgraded from a standard room to an executive because the hotel was overbooked. The room was spacious, comfortable and clean. The king bed was comfortable and the bedding was good. The bathroom was large and clean. All above average. Even the pull-out sofa/bed was a reasonably comfortable sleeper. Overall the room itself was very good.

We were a bit disappointed not to have a fridge in the room. You can rent a fridge for ~$30/day extra, but on top of the ~$200/night room price we felt this was a bit "unfriendly" and were disappointed. The heated rooftop pool and hot tub were big hits with the kids, but don't expect any adult privacy as there were kids in the pool each night until closing. In fact, my kids related to me on the way home yesterday that the 30-something couple they saw kissing in the hot tub had just met at the bar downstairs.... Hmmm..

Oh yes.. the bar... The bar on the river level is nice.. roomy, friendly and comfortable with a great atrium view through the center of the hotel. Until you try to fall asleep and the rowdy late-night patrons start howling for more drinks. Our room 5 levels up was a bit noisy into the wee hours. A little disappointing for a higher-end hotel full of families on spring break at SeaWorld and Fiesta TX. I would like to have seen a bit more noise control at the bar.

The hotel itself is directly on the Riverwalk. The river-side patio was along a quieter stretch, so it was never too crowded. Walking along the Riverwalk from the hotel was nice, but covering the shorter distance through the city streets to some of the attractions required a walk through areas that were a bit seedy. Not unsafe for me, but not a place to let the kids roam around unescorted.

The hotel provided valet parking for a reasonable fee, but with 3 parking lots within 1 block from the hotel, I'd recommend self-parking to avoid the long waits for car pickup. The price is about the same as valet with much less waiting.

Overall, the hotel had very nice rooms and was in a good location, but the noise could have been managed better. The all-suite format was especially good for our family's needs.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
HCGM, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2011

We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write all about your experience while staying at Hotel Contessa. I apologize for the noise level of the bar. We are very impressed with the level of detail you have provided in your review. Thank you for giving us your observations in areas that need improvement

Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 16 March 2011

My husband, our two sons and I planned a trip to San Antonio this past week. We wanted to stay someplace nice on the river walk. After looking at the hotel's website, we realized that they were promoting the "Spring Break Away" family package. It included the same type of room we wanted, free breakfast and river tour boat tickets for a family of four. We booked the package.

When we checked in we asked the front desk clerk how we were to receive the boat ride and breakfast vouchers. The RUDE front desk clerk informed us that we had not booked the "Spring Break Away" package. Apparently we chose "best available rate" and the package was soooo much more $$$. Our $246.00 rate was something he rarely sees and there is noooo way we bought the package! It was our mistake; they hadn't had any trouble with people booking that package, etc, etc. We decided we must have done something wrong when booking and we would be paying for breakfast and the boat rides separately. Dissapointing, but not a big deal. As we were getting on the elevator near the check in desk....we overheard him tell another family the SAME story!!!

The next morning I went downstairs and spoke to another RUDE front desk clerk. She looked up the special package on her computer (I never got to look at the screen). She said, "oh yes, this package is $340, you only paid $246.00, etc. She had no explanation of the "best availability" option we MUST have checked. Again, I thought this was our mistake.

We got home from our trip and I looked online, at the Hotel Contessa’s own site, at the package we bought. There it was! The package we bought for $246.00!!!! I did not see any "best availability" option. Either their website is EXTREMELY MISLEADING or WE WERE SCAMMED!!!! I will never go back to that hotel again!!!! The boat tour tickets and breakfast (not at their hotel) were not too expensive and we enjoyed San Antonio, but we will NOT BOOK another room at Hotel Contessa again. The rude front desk and non-existent family package made me feel SCAMMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
HCGM, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2011

In reading your review, I apologize that we did not provide a better experience, we will always strive to do better, and I thank you for the constructive thoughts you have shared on your review. I apologize for the mishaps during your entire. Everyone in our hospitality industry desires to provide their guests with a quality product and outstanding service, and reading through your comments I can see why you would be less than happy with your stay I would like to take this opportunity to apologize, as that was not the way we typically take care of our guests.

Once again we apologize for the problem and thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. Without your guest feedback, we cannot continue to improve our services.

Reviewed 15 March 2011

Enjoyed our stay very much and would recommend this hotel to anyone. Great location and staff. Valet parking is expensive--$30 per day but that's our only complaint. Tried to self park which is half the price but all the lots nearby were full. Rooms are attractive, clean and large.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write all about stay. We are happy to hear that they enjoyed their visit to Hotel Contessa. We are sorry about your dissatisfaction with the parking cost. Our prices are pretty comparable to other hotels.

Thank you again for sharing your comments.