“Not the best but....”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Arizona
“Not the best but....”
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We stayed over the Christmas holiday which may be why we didn't have the best experience. We reserved a river view suite that included daily breakfast (not an inexpensive choice). Although we didn't know it when we checked in, our room was by the staff entrance so every morning (about 5 am) the door was opening/closing with lots of talking. Our part the hotel had a hot water tank problem which happened while in the shower (not pleasant). Hot water was out for several hours. One day all the old linens were taken out of the room but they forgot to bring new ones. Initially this was not a huge problem but after 2 calls, I had to go downstairs which is just not fun. Another issue was the daily breakfast, the ending time varied, again not huge issue because it was ending at 10 or 10:30 but on Christmas Day breakfast stopped at 8:30. Had they given us a schedule it would not have been a problem but we never anticipated that breakfast on Christmas Day would be over at 8:30. A simple schedule when we checked in would have been good enough. I am hopeful this was due to the "regular staff" being home for the holiday. I just wish I could have paid rates for this level of service.

Room Tip: Be sure you are not near any staff doors. We did not have any issues with noise from the river, how...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Pima41

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (891)
Sanger, Texas
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Overall our stay at Hotel Contessa was exceptional. Great staff, fabulous vacation, and beautiful accomodations. The Cork Bar is a great place to unwind during happy hour. The pool area offers a great view and a relaxing oasis. The only item I wasn't completely pleased with is the sheets on the bed, they were too stiff and rough. Other than that this is was a exceptional hotel and I look forward to booking with them the next time I go to San Antonio.

Room Tip: We were on the city view side and on the 4th floor and we heard very little street noise. No complai...
2 Thank YankeeGirlPSU
HCGM, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I will look into your comments about the sheets to make sure our product is up to luxury standards. Thank you.

All the best, Jeff Wardlaw – General Manager
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I stayed here twice in two years for conventions. The best compliment I can pay this hotel is to say I want to return. It is located right on the Riverwalk but on a quiet part of the river.
It is a very easy walk along the water to the art center, water taxi and the various restaurants. The street level is very close to the Riverwalk mall, the Cathedral and more restaurants. The food and ambience is wonderful. They have outdoor dining and multiple public balconies facing the walk to relax and drink. The rooms have a separate living area from the bedroom which is always nice. The Business Center was very nice and it was easy to print out my return trip boarding passes.

Excellent choice for either business or pleasure.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
I am glad you have enjoyed your previous two experiences with us, now you need to come back for pleasure without all that work getting in the way. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

All the best, Jeff Wardlaw – General Manager
La Vernia
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We brought my husband downtown to stay for his birthday. Sent him to the spa for two treatments, the staff was very nice and professional. It was his first spa treatment so it had to be special, which it was. The hotel and rooms were very nice, although I have to say, the bed was very hard for our taste, but overall it was a great experience. The staff went over and above to make our stay memorable and they accomplished that goal. The only other complaint I have is that someone tried to get into our room at 8:30 in the morning. No one knocked to announce themselves, they just put their key in the door and unlocked it. If I hadn't had the bar closed over the door, they would have just come in without announcement. That did have me rattled, I reported it to the staff, so hopefully they will address that with their employees. But, I would stay there again, it is a really nice place.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the kind words about our team. In regards to the security concern I will review these comments with appropriate team members to make sure our security standards are being adhered to.

Sincerely, Jeff Wardlaw – General Manager
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 January 2012

From the moment we arrived, we realized that the staff was going to go above and beyond in every way possible. We were greeted in the front carport and asked if we were interested in valet parking. We said yes, our bags were removed from the car and we were shown into the lobby. We got to the front desk where a friendly clerk asked if we wanted a king suite or a double queen suite. We went to our king suite and found a lovely sitting room with large flat screen TV and, appropriately, Spanish styled furniture, then on to the dressing area with beautifully appointed bath, large counter with coffee fixings and mini bar for those who would choose to use it . Beyond that area was the bedroom with our very comfortable king bed and another large flat screen TV. The bed area was private and had a door to close it off from the sitting area where one could use the sofa sleeper.
After a full day of sightseeing and enjoying the Riverwalk in San Antonio, we returned to our hotel and enjoyed the beautiful evening on the patio outside the lower level bar. The patio is right on the water and we sat and watched the boat cruises go past for awhile. We soon returned to our room and had a very comfortable and quiet night's sleep.
We checked out in the morning and found Natalie, another very well-trained desk assistant to help us. While we waited, the bellhop kindly asked if he could order our car to brought over. Every part of our experience at the Hotel Contessa was pleasant and we recommend the hotel and will stay there again when we return to San Antonio. Hotel Contessa is in a very convenient part of San Antonio, within walking distance of nearly all of the major attractions. You will not be disappointed if you stay there!

Room Tip: Perhaps on one of the higher floors.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
The experience you had is exactly what we are working to achieve for every guest. I am glad you noticed and grateful you took the time to share it. This feedback will be shared with and celebrated by our entire team.

Best Regards, Jeff Wardlaw – General Manager
Montreal
Reviewed 15 January 2012

The Hotel Contessa is located at the end of San Antonio's RiverwalkThe, so you have all the advantages of locale, near the convention centre and the more than 200 restaurants along the water's edge. Fans of the Food Network's "Diners, Srive-ins and Dives" will be happy to note that several eateries featured on the show are within easy walking distance of the Contessa - you've done something wrong if you come home from a weekend in San Antonio having lost weight! You can get a good start to the day at the hotel's Las Ramblas restaurant. Try the healthy option- a delicious egg white frittata. The staff are unfalteringly cheerful and helpful and the one maintenance issue I had during my stay was promptly dealt with. Rooftop pool and (really hot) whirlpool provide a grea place to unwind and a gorgeous and romantic city view at night.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floors facing the street can be subject to a lot of street noise, particularly if...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Thank you, I will share your kind words with our entire team.

Best Regards, Jeff Wardlaw – General Manager
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 14 January 2012

My husband and I along with our 13 year old daughter made a recent 6 day trip to San Antonio for and really enjoyed the city. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Contessa and would love to go back and spend more time in the city.

A day prior to our trip, the concierge called us to see if there was anything they could do for us in preparation for our arrival, a very nice touch.

The room had beautiful, warm decor, comfortable beds and lots of storage space for our belongings. We were in a city-view room on the 12th floor (1204) away from the elevator. It was quiet and we enjoyed the view of the city and a bit of the lighted Riverwalk.

The restaurant and bar area was beautiful with a nice view of the Riverwalk and Maria, who took care of us for breakfast each day, pampered us and made us feel very much at home. Our daughter was ill on our first day in town and unable to join us for breakfast which was included in our booking. Maria went out of her way to make tea and gather broth and crackers for an upset tummy and created a beautifully presented tray for us to take to our daughter so she would still feel special on her vacation. The breakfast buffet was good with a large selection to choose from and it was a nice touch that they would make omelettes and eggs your way upon request on the weekdays and had a station for this on the weekends.

The pool area was beautiful with warm water even in January, and had attractive, comfortable poolside furniture and an abundance of clean towels. The view from the rooftop pool was fabulous and we lucked out with terrific weather so we were able to enjoy it! (73 and sunny in January...perfect for us Canadians!)

We were able to walk to all major attractions that we wanted to check out from this hotel and staff were very helpful when required as we navigated the city.

Cucumber-mint water available in the lobby was a nice touch. Very refreshing after returning from a day/night on the town.

When it was time to go, there was a cab readily at hand to take us to the airport and the friendly staff loaded up our luggage.

When I got home I realized I had left behind my very expensive straightener. No problem, the hotel operator put me through to the lost and found department in housekeeping who called me back within a few hours. They found my item and are sending it to me.

The only thing I would have appreciated is having the fridge in the room at no extra cost. They make them available but there is an additional daily charge.

Beautiful hotel, great location, attentive staff with excellent problem solving and communication skills! Would love to go back!

Room Tip: higher floors have less city noise, away from the elevator is quieter
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
HCGM, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
I can see you had a wonderful time while visiting San Antonio and we appreciate you choosing Hotel Contessa for your stay. I was very proud to read about the notes you left about Maria, her efforts to make you and your family feel at home are a reflection to what we strive to accomplish everyday in our Hotel. I must say that I am very impressed with the level of detail you have provided in your review.
Thank you for taking the time to provide a full view of your stay in our Hotel. We look forward to having you as guest in the future.

Sincerely, Wende Blumberg - General Manager