“Great stay for business or pleasure”
Review of Hotel Contessa

Hotel Contessa
Ranked #5 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My wife and I attended a meeting at this hotel and added a few days for pleasure. The hotel location is perfect for the Riverwalk and all downtown has to offer. Very convenient to the Alamo.
Great rooms, staff, bar area, and restaurant is perfect for breakfast or casual lunch. Very upscale place and I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the river side to avoid noise from bus traffic.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,328)

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I have received the absolute best service at Hotel Contessa. The GM, Mr. Utley is extremely attentive and personally tends to any concerns immediately. He and his staff have gone above and beyond for me during my stays - from shipping packages to arranging special birthday compliments in our room, to things I never thought I would need from a hotel, yet they gladly provided anyway. I have traveled all over the country for work and the level of service, atmosphere, value of accommodations vs. pricing is unmatched; not to mention that when you consider the true compassion of this staff, Hotel Contessa cannot be beat. I consider it a home away from home so as far as this frequent traveler is concerned, there is only one hotel in San Antonio worth staying at. The rooms are beautiful and true to the spirit of San Antonio and the bar, spa and overall ambiance are all expressions of how a San Antonio native would want their city represented. I will gladly take the Contessa over Mokara or The Westin any day.
JP-Portland

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel this past weekend (Fri-Mon). It looks nothing like the pictures online. We changed rooms because the headboard had "intimate scratches" on it. The room we ended up staying in contained dingy furniture, hair on the comforter and a furry spider on the mirror near the snack bar my girlfriend & I had to get rid of.

Considering it was my girlfriend's bday, I surprised her with chocolate covered strawberries. The strawberries were old & weren't very appealing.

The following morning we ordered room service (French toast & eggs/potatoes), it was gross. The French toast didn't look or taste like French toast and the tiny glass of orange we had was a complete turnoff (Warm, tiny glass of OJ).

Our number #1 complaint is in regards to the valet. My gf & I came down to get into our vehicle only to find it wasn't there after being told to come down in 10min. We sat and waited & noticed a valet person in our vehicle drive around the block 4 times. When we addressed the issue the valet manager walked out into the st and directed the valet person to pull over. The valet manager then proceeded to walk over to us and replied, "That's not your car." 2sec after that our car pulls up with the same valet person in it, the window down and the radio station changed. Needless to say we were very upset with the way this Hotel is kept and the carelessness of the valet.

It's not romantic at all.

Room Tip: The riverview was nice
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JD S
GM_Contessa, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear JD S,
I appreciate the time that you took to speak with me yesterday regarding your experience and review of our hotel. The additional details that you provided me will certainly help us as we address various issues internally with our team. As I had stated to you in our conversation, your experience was most definitely extraordinary and atypical as compared to the norm for our hotel and we are terribly sorry that you were as disappointed as you were. I look forward to seeing you back at Contessa sometime in the not too distant future and having an opportunity to greet you personally upon your return.
Les Utley

Reviewed 20 November 2013

First calss operation, all the way. From the bell hops to the maids, to the restaurant. Service was outstanding. Food was fantastic too. We had dinner and breakfast. Happy hour in the bar lounge area was buzzing, not loud and obnoxious but certainly had verve and excitement.

Planning on returning again for weekend get away.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was in San Antonio for a convention earlier this year and had a great dinner at the Hotel Contessa's restaurant, so when I had another San Antonio business trip I wanted to try out the hotel. I had a very comfortable corner room (suite) with plenty of space. The service was very friendly, and the location is great - just far enough from the convention center to escape, but still an easy walk.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I think Hotel Contessa's location and quality of accomodations are superb! The property is located on the south section of the Riverwalk loop, a little quieter and more romantic compared to the rest of the Riverwalk area. It's shared patio with the Las Ramblas Restaurant is situated next to the "Wedding Island" - very picturesque area on the San Antonio River for sitting and drinking a nice cup of coffee in the morning! Our suite was located on the 7th floor, was very clean and quiet and had a great view of the River by day and by night!
My wife and I parked our car with the valet for much of the weekend and enjoyed easy walks to all of the downtown sites - the Alamo, the boat tour of the River, the River Center, the Spanish Market, etc.
The Hotel staff was especially helpful with any needs or questions that we had. The breakfast buffett (which was included in our package) at the Las Ramblas was one of the best we've had anywhere! We had breakfast on the patio by the River and didn't really want to leave. George provided great service!
All in all, a great weekend place to "get away" while still being located to the sites!

Room Tip: We enjoyed suite 723. It has a nice view of the River, is away from the elevators and has a nice la...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Although the prime reason for visiting San Antonio was to visit 'The Alamo' I had also heard great things about the Riverwalk so decided to find a hotel there. The Contessa is ideally placed on the Riverwalk and the suites provide excellent accommodation. Comfortable with plenty of space, although if you require any extras there is an additional charge to pay so it could end up a bit on the pricey side. Didn't dine there so can't comment on the food although breakfast was adequate. Absolutely great location.

Room Tip: Try and get a view of the Riverwalk. It's worth the extra.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends