“Lovely suite on Riverwalk”
Review of Hotel Contessa

Hotel Contessa
Ranked #5 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 December 2013

The suites were remarkably spacious and comfortable, service (including front desk and concierge) was gracious and helpful, the Riverwalk setting is lovely. The "in-room bar" is foolishly expensive (perhaps no more so than other hotels of this class) but bottles of wine and snacks are available at nearby retail stores. Wi-fi was included in the room price, and worked flawlessly. It happens that we were in San Antonio during unseasonably cold weather, and the open lower level of the hotel (which includes a bar with comfortable, scattered sitting areas) was too chilly for relaxing - seemingly an architectural flaw, since the front doors opened frequently allowing cold air to pour down into the area. However, that's the only flaw our family found!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,325)

Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here last year and we liked it. Location, room and service so we decided to stay here again this year and boy were we disappointed. First the Room wasn't available despite paying the $40 early check in fee. Then they ran our credit card incorrectly during check in & hounded us with phone calls at 830pm (after we ordered room service) and again at 7 am demanding that we come down with the card. TV in bedroom & phone in living area didn't work. Hair dryer didn't work and they didn't have anymore to replace it with! Bad breakfast buffet.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank scubaguyUsa
GM_Contessa, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Dear ScubaguyUsa,
We appreciate you taking time to share your experience with us and sincerely apologize for the less than perfect visit at Hotel Contessa. Both your review on TripAdvisor as well as your detailed guest survey have provided us with valuable and actionable feedback that our team will use to address the deficiencies and improve our service levels. I am glad that our Guest Services Manager was able to speak with you and we look forward to having you return again sometime in the not to distant future.
Les Utley

Reviewed 11 December 2013

We recently stayed at Hotel Contessa for a quick "stay-cation" celebrating a bachelorette weekend. The location for the hotel was perfectly situated on the riverwalk, just close enough for an easy 5 min walk to the action, and just far enough to not hear the noise of that action. Although it was a short trip, every employee encountered was friendly and accommodating. The highlight for us was the room. We upgraded to a riverview double, which was huge as it had a separate living area, perfect for a get-together with the girls before going out for the night. We also happened to be on the end unit, which meant double the view and windows. As I work in the luxury hotel industry, I sometimes find myself a little on the picky side, but I couldn't seem to find anything to complain about here. Even the elevators were fast!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I think the thing that stood out for me the most during my recent stay at the Hotel Contessa was how friendly everyone on the staff was. Also, the hotel overall and my room was very clean. The Wi-Fi worked well and the hotel was a good location for me. I was very pleased with my stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 December 2013

My two kids (24 and 27) recently stayed at the Hotel Contessa for the first time. It came highly recommended by my best friend and boy was she right! I loved it! The hotel itself is beautiful, and all of the employees from the bell staff to the front desk were so pleasant and friendly! The location on the River Walk is super convenient to all the popular places on the river. The room was very comfortable for the three of us, actually very roomy above and beyond what we needed! I have had several "favorites" in the hotels on the River Walk and the Hotel Contessa is definitely my new #1 favorite!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DiDollar
Reviewed 11 December 2013

The Contessa was a wonderful experience in every way. Right on the River Walk was a beautiful room overlooking all the action. The staff were all very kind and welcoming. We could not have asked for a better experience. Will stay there in the future. A romantic place to spend out 37th Anniversary.

Room Tip: City VIew is the best
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I was at the hotel this last week for a conference and I was amazed by the courteous, friendly and helpful staff. Every single one of them was so friendly and helpful. They went out of their way to accommodate what ever I needed. I have traveled all over the world and stayed at many luxury hotels, and I can tell you hands down, Hotel Contessa's staff is the friendliest, most helpful, and courteous staff I have ever experienced!!!!!!!! Really I was blown away by their EXCELLENCE !!!!!!!
Everything from the care of our room, Ismael helping with my need for oatmeal in the morning, or Jose in engineering, helping with a problem in our room, both with so much kindness, helpfulness, and professional courtesy, I was amazed. The thing that completely touched my heart and blew me away with gratitude, was I was fighting a cold and not feeling well on Thursday (12/5/13),after my conference all day, and really needed to crawl up to my room with some chicken soup and go straight to bed to make it through the conference. I called room service to see if they had some chicken soup they could send up to my room. I don't know the name of the woman who answered the phone ( or the Wonderful chef) , but she said they didn't, but to hold on a minute and she would check with the chef. To my utter amazement she came back to the phone and said, the chef said he had all the ingredients and would be glad to make me some chicken soup!!!!! I almost cried I was so touched by this act of kindness. WOW!!!!! Shortly there after, they delivered my chicken soup and grilled cheese sandwich I ordered. I went to sleep and felt a hundred times better the next day and was able to enjoy my conference the rest of my stay. I cannot tell you what this meant to me!!!!! BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO to all the amazing staff at your hotel. In addition- the hotel is BEAUTIFUL!! EXCELLENT, PERFECT LOCATION!!!! It's located right on the river walk which is LOVELY, CONVENIENT,( you don't need a car for anything) you can walk to anything you need, or if you have need for things further away, you can take a taxi. The river walk is amazing and magical, full of beautiful twinkling lights at night, lined with quaint, charming, delicious cafés and restaurants right on the river, you can even have dinner aboard one of the many barges that float along the river daily. Or you can just take the barge. Bottom line-IF YOURE GOING TO SAN ANTONIO- STAY AT THE HOTEL CONTESSA, you will be so glad you did. Deep gratitude and ACCOLADES- Eva

Room Tip: On the river rooms are a special treat everyday!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business