“A little splurge”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Davis, California
“A little splurge”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Beautiful rooms, great service. My room was by the street side and I woke ups few times from traffic. Other than that, it was lovely. Roof-top pool and jacuzzi in good weather beautiful. Nice spa on site with massages etc. Fun cafe/bar right on The Riverwalk, with a good happy hour. Food at the conference outstanding. The hotel staff was ever accommodating. They missed a wake up call, but who does those anymore. I survived it. An overall nice visit in a beautiful room.

Room Tip: Avoid street side if possible
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sharonafs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (849)
Portland, OR
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I was here recently for a five-day conference. Unfortunately, I did not stay at the hotel.
But breakfast, lunch and snacks were catered, and it was some of the best food I've ever had, anywhere! I also had happy hour and dinner in their dining room. Again, the food was excellent!
One of the staff, Ishmael, was lovely and took excellent care of us, making sure all of our needs and requests were met.
The people who did stay at the hotel were very happy with their experience.
If I go to San Antonio again, I will be sure to stay--and eat!--here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DinerPortland
Oklahoma City
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by Eddie G. a bellman at the hotel, he is the most pleasant person you would ever want to have take care of you. If I had any kind of customer service business I would steal him away in a second. He has a great attitude and remembered our names throughout our week long stay. All of the staff at the hotel were very accommodating and helpful; I read some of the negative reviews and clearly the Contessa has taken positive steps to improve. Our stay and conference were flawless. Thank You

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Debbie P
Converse, Texas
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We spent a wonderful weekend at The Contessa. The staff was fantastic, everyone from the housekeeping staff to the Ms. Andrade, front desk manager, were efficient, professional and polite. The room was clean, we had a city view and were pleased to find that we also had a very nice view of the river as well. We chose the Bed and Breakfast package, and were very pleased with the selections on the buffet Breakfast. I have a somewhat special diet and needed a particular type of tea with breakfast, our server Ivan went in search and was able to bring me back a nice selection for me, we truly appreciated it. We had two very small hiccups and both occurred on Sunday morning before we were getting ready to go home, the first is something that any hotel guest around the world has probably experienced. We got an unexpected "wake up call" when the guests in the room next to us treated us to an invitation to their "nocturnal activities." What can you do but laugh and wait for the conclusion and hope you can go back to sleep. The second was with the valet, everyone was trying to leave at the same time, a wedding planner was trying to bring in necessaries for a ceremony to be held later in the day, and a large shopping party waited to sort purchases until it was time to load their cars, add to that a pretty yucky day outside and it equals a longer than usual wait for the retrieval of your vehicle. Once the valet staff was apprised of our wait time they quickly brought up the car along the side of the hotel and got us loaded and on our way within minutes. Everything was handled professionally and with a smile, something I truly appreciated considering everything else that was going on at the time.

Both my husband and I will be going back to The Contessa. It has a great location to the Riverwalk, the Little Village, Hemisphere Park and the Alamo. It was a wonderful way to celebrate my husbands birthday and we plan to have more weekends away at this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: We really liked being on the higher floor, not only did we have a quieter room, but we had a pretty...
Green Features: We were very pleased with the way Hotel Contessa is working towards a cleaner environment.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
McAllen, Texas
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

I had originally booked a double suite with city view and when I got there they had changed it to a king with riverview. This was not what I had reserved. The manager said they were all booked. My family and I had to leave and look for another hotel. They ruined the trip for us. Do not stay at this hotel!!! They are snobs.

Stayed February 2014
4 Thank Ali T
GM_Contessa, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Ali T,
As I had mentioned to you when we spoke just recently, we are terribly sorry that your reservation was not honored as it was booked. While we would like to say that "glitches" never occur, we realize that they do. How we respond to such "glitches" is what we believe separates a good hotel from a great hotel. Clearly, we did not rise to the moment in this particular case. I appreciate you taking time to speak with me about your experience and we will most certainly emphasize the take-away lesson learned as we work with our front desk team to improve upon our processes. I am very pleased to know that you will return to stay with us again and I look forward to greeting you personally upon your return.
Les Utley
Texas
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Our group of four couples met at this hotel for a three night weekend. We found the hotel employees to be extraordinary. There was a relaxed atmosphere and the staff really seemed to like working here. It is an all- suite note and is casual friendly. I like that there is a door that separates the living room from bedroom. The negatives are this: Small closet and we paid for river view. We got a suite on the 8th floor. I remember the reservation clerk telling me I should get a lower floor if we wanted to enjoy the view. Well, the 8th floor is not low enough and being next to Commerce street is a negative. We saw more street view than river view and there was noise from the street. Lesson learned: Don't pay for the river view. We paid extra for the river view but our friends did not. They definitely got the better deal. There is no balcony and no reason to go the extra expense.cMy husband couldn't get hot water unless he ran the water a long time first. I got a warm (not hot) bath. There is no microwave. My friends were not so happy, but we were ok without it. My other friend got a larger corner room. It had a little more space and extra window. I think the standard suite without river view offers all you will need. I liked the hotel and staff. It was spot on! I had a massage and a facial in the Spa. The prices were very good and the service was excellent. Breakfast from the menu was excellent. We had appetizers from the patio on a Friday evening with drinks. Half price between 4-7 PM. Nice. The pool area is very nice. I liked my stay very much. $30 night for in and out parking. Valet is best. Take the river boat cruise. Pay the $15 and enjoy!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GigiBlogger
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed at the Contessa again this past weekend just to get out of Houston for a weekend of relaxing and shopping and dinning.....
Again we were satisfied with out stay at the hotel, everything was just as good as it was when we were there last Aug 2013.
Check in was fast and no wait, valet parked our car with no problem, bell hops were just as nice as ever.
Worked out in the exercise room there, very nice.
Drove up to San Marcos to the Prime Outlets on Saturday morning for shopping which my lady always enjoys then on the way back we stopped at the market square for more shopping to top off the day.
Over all this is our second stay there in 6 months and the staff was friendly as ever.
We expect to return again in the next 6 months and will ask for our same room number when had. Good view of the riverwalk and close to the elevators.
Thanks Contessa for another enjoyable weekend for us, this Hotel I would recommend for couples but I know there are families with kids that stay as well.
Again, thanks, we will return.

Room Tip: We did do the breakfast in the hotel on Sunday the day fo check out. The food was great! And of cou...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple