“Great Hotel!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
oceanside
“Great Hotel!”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Parked a hop skip and a jump from the Hotel in a parking lot under a shade tree for only $16/day - sure beats the inflated parking fee Riverwalk Hotels charge! Had no trouble checking in early, the desk staff were tremendously courteous and helpful. The girl working (forgot her name) was very nice! My sis and I were on the 8th floor on a corner facing down at the Niace festival going on below (Got major ripped off by Niace ticket sales booth, another story). The room is really quaint and comfortable, love the brick wall and the seating room seperate from bedroom. Bed very clean and comfy with lots of fluffy pillows ahh! The wooden doors to the bathroom were really unique though it was funny there was a knot hole punched out that you can see only the person's FACE only - sitting on the throne, LOL!! Wonderful atmosphere! Beautiful hotel! Small world, as we were leaving, I ran into a guy that used to work with me at FRCSW and his wife, it was a delight to see a familiar face!! He told my sister he knew it was me...."ONLY MARIE" as I was struggling with my baggage all over the place!

Room Tip: Get a High story and near elevator.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank callmarie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (873)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

From the arrival to our departure, the staff was pleasant, helpful and professional. Our room had a beautiful view of the river walk. Everything was well appointed, quiet and clean. The Concierge gave some excellent advice on where to go and what to do especially on local restaurant choices. The Contessa Hotel exceeded our expectations all respects.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John B
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We arrived on a Thursday evening around 7pm. We were a little tired from the long drive and anxious to settle in. The staff, from the first interaction with valet staff to the contagiously pleasant young lady at registration and over to the bellhop who helped to make sure we had everything we needed, definitely exceeded our expectations. Our room was pristine, the pool (including the stellar night swim view) was top notch and the dinner we ordered via room service was so good- we ordered seconds! Even the kids ate- they are pretty hard to please generally. We all slept like rocks in our cool cozy bed. I'm not sure what we were expecting from breakfast, but I can say without a doubt, again, we were beyond pleased. The staff in the hotel restaurant, the food, the river side patio dining experience - all things amazing, all of it. The kids made friends and played, I sipped coffee and chatted with passerby people. My only regret here, were the birds- but a teeny tiny blip on an otherwise perfect and oh so leisurely breakfast experience. After breakfast we embarked on a day of revelry, it was fun....until....I got a work call, there was a situation I had to handle. And my two little ones were not happy, it was warmer than we expected and they had reached the brink of meltdown central. They needed a nap, I needed to work, and we had already checked out of our hotel...uh-oh. What to do? Well we attempted to see if one of the other nearby hotels would allow us to stay for a few hours- we were mostly denied, with the exception of one hotel that agreed to let us stay, but to the tune of the entire night's rate...$280. Needless to say, that was not ideal. We went back to Hotel Contessa, they were as happy to see us as they were the first time! Seriously, these are the most genuinely friendly, pleasant service providers I think I've ever experienced (Hence the long review!!), and I'm a very picky patron, I value service provision almost more than the product I'm purchasing. I'll leave a 30% tip for an outstanding server even if the food is less than desirable.

I explained my dilemma, and was told for a discounted rate we could have the room for a 4 hour block. That's all we needed! We got the exact same, freshly cleaned room. My girls fell out as soon as their heads touched those tightly tucked, fresh, crisp linens. I sat in a cool dark room and handled my work crisis while I listened to them breath peacefully. I tipped every person who would accept one (yes, a few of these amazing people actually refused gratuity) loaded my very happy, rested little family up, paid my bill and sang their praises at the top of my lungs. What a wonderful experience,

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Natasha H
Quincy, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The Contessa Hotel staff were terrific. They were helpful, courteous, and extremely friendly. This was the most enjoyable hotel experience my family and I have had on a vacation surpassing vacation hotel experiences in San Diego, Williamsburg, Washington DC, Orlando, and New York City. The rooftop pool is a great touch; great view of the city and relaxing piano music playing on speakers. It was a great place to relax in the late afternoon after a day of sightseeing and recharge for an evening on the Riverwalk or a Fiesta location. The concierge staff did a great job assisting us with recommendations and navigating all the sights that are in walking distance of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bill A
New Providence, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

The Hotel Contessa is a very nice hotel in a great location. The rooms have a very nice sitting room with beautiful upgraded bathrooms. The pool on the top floor is very small...can't do laps. The bar area is very nice on the
Riverwalk. I do think at over $300 a night that it is s little overpriced.

• Stayed April 2014
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel rooms are large and well appointed. They feel a little worn, but I think the hotel is undergoing some renovations of the rooms. The staff was kind and helpful. Especially the valet people. We were stuck in some horrible traffic and could not get to hotel in our car. My husband walked to hotel and a valet person walked back with him to our car and took care of it. This saved us a about 30 minutes of sitting a big traffic jam. It is the nicest hotel I've stayed on the river walk and the hotel restaurant was good as well. We sat at a quiet table outside by the river. Nicest views of the river.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Wonderful place, clean and rooms are very nice! I stay downtown for Fiesta and this was my first time at the Contessa and I plan to return. The roof top pool was awesome and there was a great view of the city. The food was great and the staff very friendly.

Room Tip: River view room was great.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends