“Perhaps it was a challenging week for the staff!”
Review of Hotel Contessa

Hotel Contessa
Ranked #6 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I attended a conference at the Hotel. The concierge was excellent and told us about alternative parking across the street, saving us $14 a day. We arrived around noon and had to wait two hours to check in although the hotel seemed relatively empty. Room was excellent except the television and ice machine were broken. Engineering came to fix both but that evening, they both were not working. Most disappointing was the food. Fish was over cooked and not fresh. Salads lacked seasoning and baked potato was really bad. Braised ribs were tender and delicious.
This is our third time at the Contessa. The fire alarm went off everyday (3 times). I have to assume there were extenuating circumstances.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Lorraine D

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I wanted to send out a note on the stellar service we received from Ismael Gaona during our retreat. I was at your hotel for an AARP retreat and I for every need I looked to Ismael and he provided an exceptional level of service.

He was great with our staff and our attendees and I appreciate his attention to detail and his forward thinking when it came to assisting us with our needs during the week of 6/16-6/21.

Thanks Ismael. Your service did not go unnoticed.

Best,
Benne' Gallion

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Nice clean beautiful hotel, I had a little problem with the room keys, but nothing that they couldn't fix & the issue I had with the hotel . Kate was nice enough to help me with what was going on I wouldn't recommend any other person from this hotel . She is the one ! She took very good care of me

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Rocky199
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Thank you Contessa staff for your courteous, helpful, and inviting environment you create for your guest!

I was extremely impressed while at The Hotel Contessa! The staff was extremely kind, polite, knowledgeable; they even remembered me by my first name . . . IMPRESSIVE to say the least.

With access to the Riverwalk, this made it a convenient place to browse the stores, access restaurants, and other locales inviting to the traveler in San Antonio.

Once again, thank you for exceptional service and welcoming staff!

Jon A. - Corporate Risk Manager

Room Tip: Don't compromise price for comfort!
Reviewed 17 June 2014

What does it take to get attention at this hotel? I called Front Desk 10 times over 30 minutes and did not manage to talk to anyone. Not even "can you hold on." In the meantime, drilling is going nonstop to "renovate" the space. The noise is deafening. And at 5:30 pm in the evening? When everyone is coming back to the hotel after a tiring day in the San Antonio sun? Are they even thinking?

Room Tip: I was here when the Spurs won so there was a parade. My room faced Market Street (parade thoroughfa...
3  Thank QuanTh
GM_Contessa, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Quanth,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback on your recent visit to Hotel Contessa. Our entire team was very disappointed to hear of your unsatisfactory stay at our hotel. Your experience, while unsatisfactory, is not indicative of the typically high service levels that we provide. We also apologize for the disruption that you experienced due to the hotel renovations that are under way. They are due to be competed soon and the hotel will be absolutely fabulous and unlike any other on the San Antonio Riverwalk.

Thank you for sharing your comments. They have been discussed among our team and we welcome the opportunity to have you back sometime in the future following our renovation so that you may experience the new and improved Hotel Contessa.

Les Utley

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I like this hotel much much much better than the Valencia. I dislike that the rooms do not have balconies. The room service menu is AWFUL. I ordered a ceasar salad and the lettuce was spoiled. There are fruit flies ALL over the hotel. My air conditioner vent was directly above my bed so no matter what the temperature, it was blowing on me which made it so uncomfortable to sleep. I did like the size of the room - I always feel safer in a larger room when the bed isn't next to the door. The inside of the toilet bowl was direct which was gross and my view was of other buildings and a small part of the river walk. I will see everyone that worked there was very friendly so that made it nice to be there for a week (for work). Also, one thing to mention is that the hotel is on the very end of the riverwalk and can get confusing when trying to find places to eat. The surrounding area is sketchy and I was told by a local to be very careful when walking alone.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was by far the best experience I have had at a hotel. Location was great with a very comfortable and relaxing seating area next to the riverwalk. The room and common areas were beautifully decorated. The room was incredibly spacious and very comfortable. Most impressive was the staff. Without exception, every single member of the staff that I interacted with was well informed, pleasant and very customer service oriented (including the conference/banquet staff). Of particular note, Eddie was very helpful to me on my last day in accommodating last minute changes to my schedule that required special arrangements for transportation. Thanks to all the staff for a pleasant experience!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business