“Location is everything”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Location is everything”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Our stay at the contessa was overall a lovely one, The rooms are bright an spacious and the staff friendly. I loved being able to park the car an head out close by for all my shopping and sight seeing. I can't think of a better introduction to San Antonio for visitors.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (850)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Really great hotel located in the heart of San Antonio, right on the riverwalk. We host corporate meetings here several times a year and Ismael, the banquet captain is always eager to help us out and always makes things so special and flawless for our attendees. The entire staff is wonderful and we wouldn’t go anywhere else! Thank you Ismael and team for always helping to make our meetings a success!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GM_Contessa, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Leigh Ann,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your highly complimentary review of our meeting services team with the readers of TripAdvisor. We appreciate you making it a point to recognize Ismael and the rest of the team for providing such excellent service for your meeting. We are incredibly proud what they do for our clients and guests each and every day. Your positive review serves as a very credible reference for meeting planners considering our hotel as a potential site for a conference or an event.

Thank you for your business and your support by way of this favorable review! We look forward to having you back again sometime in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,
General Manger
Poughkeepsie, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Great atmosphere, excellent public spaces (pool, lobby, restaurant, front desk area, location on Riverwalk), and courteous and efficient staff make this hotel an all-around winner. Portions of the hotel are under construction, but you can see the positive outcomes of this remodeling throughout the hotel. EXCELLENT location and the restaurants on-site are reasonably priced and well-staffed. Staff is informative and well-trained - can't imagine anyone having anything other than a satisfactory stay at this hotel. Rooms are very nice and although possibly slightly overpriced, the overall hotel experience makes it worthwhile. I'd recommend this hotel to just about any type of traveler - romantic getaway, family trip, even business travelers. They do a nice job here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Cornelius N
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We booked the Contessa for one night for a brief stop in to SA after a week long stay in Galveston. It was our first trip to SA since our kids have gotten old enough to remember their stay. Our plan was to check in, and head out to see the Alamo and riverwalk and grab dinner.
The gentlemen at the valet were very helpful and friendly
Upon check in it was very clear that unless you are a certain "type", your stay isn't a top priority to hotel staff. Being a heavily tattooed couple, we certainly didn't match the rest of the guests. I didn't think this would be an actual issue until we were walking away from the check in counter, and heard a staff member mutter something along the lines of, "they must be in town for the tattoo convention". While I'm glad we heard her (we ended up attending the convention and both got tattooed on the way out of town) we didn't appreciate the assumption that the only reason people like us would be at The Contessa, would be for some tattoo event going on.
Being tattooed is definitely a choice, and we know that it doesn't mesh well with everyone. But we don't generally encounter that type of judgment in the service industry. I was a little caught off guard, and didn't get the chance to reply to her. I wish I had taken the time to personally confront her. But I'll take a second now. STOP JUDGING PEOPLE THAT DON'T FIT THE MOLD OF "NORMAL"!! WE ARE JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE AND DESERVE TO BE TREATED NO DIFFERENT!!!
Once we got to our room, we were happy to see that it was very clean and spacious. We dropped our things off and headed out. It was so nice that the back door of the hotel opened onto the riverwalk. We were just a short walk away from the Alamo which was nice for our littles, as they don't fare well walking long distances. I didn't have a stroller on our trip, and I was perfectly comfortable walking there with our infant in a sling. The convenience of the location is probably the best thing about the hotel.
After our short treck, we came back and changed into our bathing suits and headed to the roof. We were very surprised that there wasn't a bartender working the bar. We were able to have drinks delivered from the bar downstairs, so that was a plus. The gentleman that delivered them was very kind. A++ for him.
After taking a brief swim, we got the kids bathed and down for bed. We left them in the charge of my kid brother and his gf and we headed out to enjoy a little SA nightlife. It was an NBA finals night. And SA won. Even though it was an away game, the streets were insane! It was so neat to experience that kind of excitement! After a bit of the celebration we were very surprised that on a Thursday night, downtown SA has very little night life. We grabbed a few drinks off of the riverwalk and enjoyed strolling back to the hotel.
I was surprised that the hotel bar was closed so early. I've never stayed in a hotel where the bar closed at midnight, and was a tad bit disappointed. We did get a good night's rest. The beds and linens we very comfortable.
The construction the following morning was fairly annoying, so instead of being able to get ready at a leisurely pace while our baby slept, I spent the majority of the morning consoling an unhappy baby.
In room dining for breakfast was a fiasco. Our order from the night before had been overlooked and then there were several hiccups. We ended up grabbing a few pastries from the tray and leaving because we couldn't wait any longer.
I notified the young lady at checkout and she was very apologetic and offered to comp us for our breakfast, since we didn't get to enjoy it. I guess the printers weren't functioning at the time and we didn't get a copy of the receipt at checkout. We were in fact charged for the breakfast which was a disappointment when I found out a week later upon reception of our receipt through an email.
Overall, the hotel is beautiful, even with ongoing construction. The location is perfect, and anyone looking to stay on the riverwalk should give it a shot. Where service was lacking, cleanliness and location made up for it. And i will say that upon notifying the hotel of our disappointments, we were contacted directly and our concerns were taken very seriously. We will for sure give The Contessa another shot next time we're in town, and hopefully we won't encounter the same issues.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rmtidwell
GM_Contessa, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear rmtidwell,
First and foremost we sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding that occurred over what you may have overheard in the hotel lobby. In discussing this with staff, we are highly confident that there was no disrespect intended on the part of our staff. We have also discussed this situation as a training topic. We also apologize for the service deficiencies that you experienced during your stay and we share in your disappointment as these types of shortcomings are not typical of our service standards. We are pleased to know that you found the hotel to be beautiful, clean and having a great location. We are even more pleased that you will return to give us another opportunity to provide you with the experience at Hotel Contessa that you had hoped for. Please reach out to me personally when planning your next visit.
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

The first time I visited Hotel Contessa was last year for my 11th year wedding anniversary. My husband and I had a wonderful time! We were impressed by the hotel appearance and how welcoming and helpful the staff had been. On this last visit, I brought my sister. This was her first time to stay in San Antonio on the river walk. She was very impressed by the appearance of the hotel, however the welcoming of the staff was not very impressive. We could have walked into any cheap hotel and received the same service. On this visit with my sister, I had almost looked for a cheeper hotel on the river walk, but then changed my mind because I wanted my sister to experience what we had our first visit. The service my sister and I received was mediocre and the next time we visit we will probably look for something cheaper. At least if the hotel is mediocre, we won't feel so bad about spending so much money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Harrison512,

We appreciate you taking time to offer valuable feedback on your recent stay at Hotel Contessa. We were disappointed to read that you were less than satisfied with your stay at our hotel. Please know that your experience, while disappointing, is not consistent with the high service levels that we have become recognized for.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope to have you return again sometime in the not too distant future and see you depart with much more pleasant memories. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can ever be of service to you in the future.

General Manger
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I feel the need to start with this. The Hotel Contessa is actually on the Riverwalk. Alot of the hotels in downtown San Antonio have Riverwalk in thier name but are several blocks away from the Riverwalk. (whew...got that off my chest) I really enjoyed our stay at the Contessa. Staff was great and we felt well tended to. We happened to be there the night the Spurs won the championship so it was alittle loud in the streets, but not so loud as to bother us. This is a pretty quiet part of the river but an easy walk to the more action packed areas. We had a riverview king suite that had a sitting room we really liked. 2 TVs, large bathroom and a good shower that made our stay very comfortable. The room was clean, comfortable and had a nice view. There is valet parking on site for $30 a night or a lot and ramp across the street for $16 per night. Should you stay here? I know I will next time I'm in San Antonio

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hotfire
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

This hotel exceeded my four star expectation. Great room, great location, great restaurant, great pool and staff took care of our every need. Eddie doorman was very helpful giving directions, suggesting restaurants and helped me rent a bike for the week.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business