“Dignified Elegance.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Glouster, Ohio
“Dignified Elegance.”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We were on Riverwalk for 7 days and the staff of the Contessa made it a wonderful experience. We are from Ohio and have never vacationed in Texas. The rooms and beds are comfortable, cool and clean. The hotel is also very attractive. We enjoyed being near the "marriage island" and on the quieter end of Riverwalk. Thank you Mando and the entire staff of Hotel Contessa!

Room Tip: We ask for king bedroom with river view. It was a 2 room suite, Nice bathroom.
Green Features: They offered environmentally -friendly soaps, shampoos, etc.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Javon V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (873)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We've stayed at Hotel Contessa twice, each time with all our children (all 6!) and have never been disappointed. Great location, great rooms, great service. You'll love this place. Our kids enjoyed the hotel pool and we enjoyed the quiet rooms (I showered and the kids never woke up it was that quiet). And, I think Contessa has the best access to the Riverwalk in that it's one of the prettiest and quietest parts of the RW.

1 Thank Kathryn W
Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I recently stayed here for 3 night during a conference. Although the property was undergoing some construction, I found it to be a very nice place with outstanding staff.

Good: the property was very, very clean overall. The lobby, the common areas, the restaurant/bar, and the general condition of the room was of the highest order. Personally, I found the decor to be a bit dated, but certainly congruent with the Spanish theme of the property. The location was great - right on the famed Riverwalk and near anything/everything you'd want in San Antonio. The room I had was at the end of a hallway and was VERY spacious....especially the bath. The overall condition of the furniture and the equipment in the room was great - no issues there. With only one exception, the staff were very accommodating, pleasant to deal with, and they all seemed happy to be there.

I did have one problem with my stay that caused me pause. It's not so much what happened, but how it was handled.

I arrived early (and was checked-in w/o any issues...nice!) but only had time to drop my bags in the room the leave for the rest of the day. I returned late in the evening only to drop into bed and sleep. Upon waking and showering, I pulled back the sheets to sit on the edge of the bed to get dressed. Like I'm sure many do, I tend not to sit on the bedspreads. Upon pulling the comforter back, I discovered a "skidmark" on the top-sheet, debris in the foot of the bed, and two other stains that appeared - to me - to be old blood stains in the foot area of the sheet. GROSS!!! I immediately called downstairs and requested Housekeeping and a member of management to my room. About 5 minutes later, both arrived and I showed them my discovery. Their reaction was mild apology and a promise to immediately clean my room and refresh the linen.

They did do all that and I did return to an obviously freshly "scrubbed" room later that day, but the mild reaction of the staff was troubling to me. If it'd had been me, I'd have been falling all over myself to apologize for such an horror. Both staff members who arrived in my room were apologetic, but neither seemed (to me) to be overly concerned about what they found. I'd have been VERY embarrassed to have a customer of mine sleep in such conditions.

All in all, the Hotel Contessa is a very nice property and I'd recommend it, but I'm not sure I'd personally stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GM_Contessa, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear HermanSnerd,

We sincerely apologize for the service deficiencies that you experienced during your stay and we share in your disappointment as such shortcomings that you have described are not typical of our service standards. We are pleased to know that you found the hotel to be beautiful, clean and having a quiet location. We hope that you might consider a return to give us another opportunity to provide you with the experience at Hotel Contessa that you had hoped for. You will be pleased to know that the "tired" decor will soon be gone and we will be completing a full renovation of all of our guest rooms in just a few more weeks. Soon we will have all-new and fresh rooms that are sure to be the finest and most unique on the Riverwalk in San Antonio. Please reach out to me personally when planning your next visit. I would enjoy personally assisting you with your arrangements and having an opportunity to welcome you.

Les Utley
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We recently spent a weekend here. The hotel is beautiful without being too formal or stuffy. The staff though makes this spot truly special, from the front desk staff who helped us check in a little early, the sweet and attentive servers in the restaurant, to the guest services manager who quickly responded to my email about a lost item. The location is also great, as it is on a quiet stretch of the riverwalk that allows access to the river, but isn't too loud. I'd highly recommend the Contessa to anyone looking for a relaxing weekend.

Stayed July 2014
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We had a very comfortable stay at this hotel, Stephen took good care of us. The staff is very nice and friendly. Our special thanks to the manager (sorry, didn't get the name), for giving us complimentary coupons due to a minor problem in our room which was fixed immediately. That is what I call 'Customer Service'.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We loved everything about this hotel! We brought 4 Tweens with us and they loved it as well! The rooftop pool was a hit and the fitness center beautiful overlooking the city! The rooms were big and spacious as well! Beautiful hotel and location divine!

• Stayed July 2014
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We are a family of 6 and it was wonderful for everyone to be able to stay in the same room together very comfortably. Very easy access to the riverwalk, gorgeous hotel, and patio. It was a very quick trip for us, but husband and I will definetly return again.

Room Tip: We had not chosen the river view, but from the living room was the city view, and bedroom was the ri...