“Great Place to Stay!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Dickinson, United States
“Great Place to Stay!”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I would hesitate to choose the Hotel Contessa when our family visits San Antonio again! Great location, beautiful hotel with a very attentive staff. We had a few VERY minor issues during our stay (wet tissue box, slow coffeepot, missing breakfast vouchers) and every single concern was immediately addressed by the staff. The rooms are very spacious with a separate living area to relax in or play games. We booked the room/breakfast package and it was very nice to come down to the restaurant each morning and be greeted by friendly staff and enjoy the great food and lovely view.

Any negatives about the room are very minor...there is no microwave and no full length mirror...but there is a big mirror in the public restroom downstairs if you really need to see all the way to the floor.

Parking is limited in San Antonio and it is common to pay to park ....even at the mall! The hotel has its own valet parking for a daily fee and I had not originally intended to use it. However, it was very convenient to park at the hotel and have the car brought to the front when needed. One day we got back to the hotel in the rain and four valets opened all our doors and parked for us...that day I was really glad we used valet parking! Just be aware there is no free parking at the hotel...but that is common in San Antonio. The hotel valets are always ready to give you a water bottle or directions....they even retrieved forgotten hats from the vehicle. Very helpful fellows ...but they all were! ,,,,the bellman, Mando, and the front desk staff too...everyone was very friendly and seemed to genuinely care that we were there! My reservations agent, Jaro, went above and beyond to make everything just right. All in all.....a great trip, a friendly city and a wonderful hotel! I'd stay at the Hotel Contessa again in a heartbeat! A little pricey, but all the riverwalk hotels are...and this one is worth every penny!

(Note: My suggestion about getting around town is to use the trolley system as much as you can & leave your car at the hotel when possible....the trolley is inexpensive and fun! However, we did find a $5 all day lot at Market Square. For your information....the distance from the hotel to the Alamo by street or to the River Center Mall area via the riverwalk is about 3/4 mile.)

Room Tip: We had two rooms for our stay... a double suite with 2 windows and the king suite had 1 window...bot...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dianna R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (861)
Conroe, Texas
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Hotel Contessa was perfect from the time I checked in until I left. Friendly staff, clean hotel, comfortable rooms. The rooms are spacious, free wifi, sitting area made it feel less like a hotel. Highly recommend and I will be coming back for sure!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Lisa M
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Hotel Contessa was a lovely hotel. We don't like big name places and prefer smaller more intimate ones. I wouldn't call Hotel Contessa a Boutique hotel but it sure acts like one. The rooms are unique and beautifully finished out, bathrooms roomy, and the living room portion inviting. I loved walking right outside to the Riverwalk. This is a great place to stay while in S.A.! The only thing I did not like was the bed: not enough blankets, the pillows too fat [I had to open them up some] and the sheets smelled of bleach. I'm kind of sensitive to smells so this was a bit annoying.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Richmond, Texas
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Excellent experience from the moment the doors were opened for us! Staff was so helpful and friendly, especially Eddie G. he went above and beyond.
This has been the best hotel stay experience to date.

Room Tip: Rooms have full-size/double beds, not queen size, but very comfortable
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mary T
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed here during the NBA Finals. Normally when in San Antonio, I stay in a brand name hotel like the Hilton or Marriott, but decided on The Contessa- and boy I was happy I did! This hotel is in a great downtown location, right on the Riverwalk but a few blocks away from all the craziness. The rooms are absolutely huge! The bed was comfortable, the bathrooms were beautiful and kept in great condition. All of the staff members were extremely friendly and helpful. The rooftop pool is great to cool down in the hot Texas sun. The gym next to it is a bit small but it gets the job done. Overall I had a terrific experience at the Hotel Contessa and from now on when I visit San Antonio I will be staying here!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank KevRitch
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I visit San Antonio often, at least once or twice a year and we have never had a bad experience at any hotel on the riverwalk. For some reason though, this hotel stands out the most from a previous stay. The rooms are suites, a good size and quiet (we stayed on the 10th floor). The rooms were clean and the rooftop pool was busy and looked nice. Check in is at 4 pm, but don't try to get there early because 4 pm means your room isn't ready until 3:45 or exactly at 4. Not such a bad wait when you can explore the riverwalk. The only disappointing thing about our stay was the breakfast at Las Ramblas. We chose the buffet vs a la carte and the eggs and pancakes were cold despite one of the workers just bringing out a fresh pan of eggs. The food was bland with little to no seasoning. Las Canarias at the Omni La mansion is expensive ($40 plus per person) for buffet breakfast but the best in my opinion and they have bottomless mimosas. Despite the breakfast we will definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KD0811
Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I was in San Antonio for a conference and this was the conference hotel. It had a great boutique feel and the suites were spacious with a living room, a food/bar area, nice spacious bedroom, and free Wi-Fi. I asked to change rooms due to some outside noise and a bellman, Eddie G., literally took me around from room to room until I found the perfect fit. I don't know many hotel staff members that would take that kind of time. I also took some time out for me prior to the conference for a massage at their spa. It too was a great experience. It's not in a busy area of the riverwalk but it's still close to everything you need.

Room Tip: Undergoing renovations so request a renovated room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business