“A Study in Opposites”

Hotel Contessa
Ranked #5 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 May 2009

Great location, it is right by marriage island on the river walk. Beatiful facility, modern, trendy, very nice. But at the other end of the spectrum was the service. It was almost laughable at times. Example, we pulled in unload and there was six, yes six, bellman standing in a line by the drive. We get out, start to unload and do valet, and none of them ask us if they can help us with our luggage. Strange right. Then we go to the front desk to check in, we are the only ones and the front desk manager stands there talking on the phone for 10mins. Doesn't call for anyone else to help us, just looks at us occasionally. Really strange. Next day, there is a dog barking incessantly in one of the rooms, and it is echoing (literally) through the beatuiful atrium all the way to the lobby. We call down to the front desk and they act like they haven't heard anything. Anyway, this is a nice hotel physically, location and facilities, but there must be a management problem. The staff seems to think they are supposed to be part of the scenery and have no idea how to provide service that matchs the surroundings. Unfortunate.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,325)

Reviewed 14 May 2009

So glad we found this gem! Ideal location, warm ambience, great room setup. We really have no interest in staying elsewhere when we return for the weekend.

On the verge of luxurious, the hotel is adult-centered yet indulgent for the children. I appreciated the staff's warm reception of my tykes (7 and almost-3), especially at breakfast. Playing outside on the patio is fine...within limits, of course. (Watch your toddlers - it's directly riverfront.) Warning to romantic-getaway adults: the rooftop pool is Kid Central during the day.

The River Walk view suite setup was ideal - long and narrow, with bath between the sitting room and the bedroom. The kids slept on the pullout couch and a cot (if I remember correctly) and, oh, sweet sleeping bliss, we shut the door to the bedroom. I've never been so rested on a trip with the kids.

Can't wait to return for our own romantic getaway.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2009

i was planning a Bachelorette party and after calling around this hotel seemed to be the place..i read some bad reviews but after calling the hotel i was reassured that there would be no problems with rude employees and that our stay would be great..I'd like to start off saying that this hotel is beautiful and very conveinant location BUT.....the hotel employees and customer service are TERRIBLE!!! Call WAY in advance for valet one of the girls just graduated and started a new job and phoned down 15 minutes before she headed down stairs for the car and 30 minutes after she arrived downstairs she was still waiting, which made her late for her first client!We were also preasantly surprised when one of the girls woke up to animal food in her sheets when we addressed this matter at the front desk the only reply we got was "eww thats gross"..nothing was said after that and when asked to speak to a manager at 11am i was told there was none on duty.Another front desk employee who had no authority said "Oh just take one day valet charge off" as she rolled her eyes..instead of causing more holdup i decided to call later.little to my knowledge there would be a mistake from another employee charging someone elses room to my debit card.when i checked my account the next day over $1800 was pending in my account. when i called to speak to the general manager it took DAYS to recieve a phone call back.i left numerous messages and sent an email that was never returned..When the call finally was returned it of course was not the gm because he would only have his assistant call back.what a manager right?So i spent weeks trying to get this matter resolved..numerous unsnswered phone calls and days befor a call back.After two weeks of non stop calling on my end and repeatedly being told no manager was there i was offered a free night stay..I would never go back to deal with all of this ever again!When i declined i was told days later after i was promised phone calls back that they would refund 50%. NOw what hotel after unsanitary animal food was left in the sheets,extremely late valet,rude customer service,over $1800 of there mistake out of my account and no phone calls back would just simply offer 50% off.after spending over $400 for one night stay i demanded my stay be taken care of.Of course that took days and still was only refunded 50% on there mistake again..Now 3 weeks and 2 days the money has finally been refunded..horrible GM very uncaring and does not have any clue how to run the hotel or treat his customers right.neither does any of the other staff!!save yourself the hassle and find another hotel!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank lovebugs09
Reviewed 6 May 2009

My husband and I traveled to San Antonio with friends for a long weekend. Hotel Contessa had been rated very highly by Conde Nast magazine, so we searched for the best rates available. Since the normally quoted rate was $350.00/room, we felt very lucky to be able to book rooms for $171 nightly for a "luxury riverview suite". Having the suite with a separate living room area was very nice. Our only negative experience was minor, the cleaning crew didn't come till after 4:00 one day. Even after our request for service, it was an hour and a half before housekeeping arrived. By that time, we were trying to get ready to leave for dinner which was a small problem.
We would stay there again if we could get the room for a reasonable rate.
The bar offered 1/2 price appetizers duriing happy hour. We weren't able to try them, but the description was interesting and sounded good.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 April 2009

my recent stay at the contessa was very pleasant. the staff was very professional and available at all times. the lobby/lounge is a really pleasant part of this hotel. It was very relaxing and hip at the same time...also they make good drinks with a nice happy hour between 4-7pm each night. my only complaint was the tv"s in the room...they absolutely need to be addressed by the hotel organization. Poor reception even for the local channels. Other than that a very nice stay

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2009

We arrived at the Contessa on the 5th of March and stayed three nights. Our room was a king riverview on the 5th floor. I believe it was #521. The room was very spacious and I really liked the fact that it was a suite so that there was a seperate sitting area from the bedroom. The staff was great for the most part. One of the door men was especially helpful, I just wish I could remember his name. There were two concierge's there - the woman was very helpful and made our diner reservations on night. They obviously knew her because when we got to our restaurant we were asked if we were from the Contessa. The other concierge wasn't quite as helpful - didn;t seem to want to putout much effort. My only issue with the room was the furniture in the sitting room - and this is often the case - made to look nice - but not particularly comfortable. I enjoyed the fact that the contessa was not on the busiest part of the riverwalk - it was nice and quiet there at night and wonderful to sit outside by the river and have a drink. The bartender makes a teriffic mojito! We would definately go back.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2009

We stayed at the Contessa March 25-27. My husband was there to attend a seminar held at the hotel and I was there to relax. The only problem we encountered was at check-in. Three days before the trip we received an E-mail from the hotel saying they were looking forward to having us as guests. I decided to revisit the website after reading the E-mail. I discovered that we could get a bed and breakfast package for $29.00 less than what we originally booked. I was unable to change the reservation on the website even though we were not yet in the penalty period, so I called the hotel directly. A very nice young lady made the switch and sent a new E-mai confirmation. Good thing I printed that out and took it with us! They guy at the front desk said that our reservation was cancelled. Apparently, in order to make the new reservation the girl had to cancel out the old one and make a new one. He could not be persuaded that we had an entirely new reservation number. Only after taking the original reservation and the second one back to a supervisor were we given a room. He said he didn't have any breakfast coupons, but would send them up to the room later.
We had room 524 - a King riverview with a stunning view of marriage island. The room was nice. Others have described the furnishings as worn, but everything in our room was in great condition. I liked the Spanish modern decor. We unpacked and headed out on the Riverwalk. After a quick visit to the Alamo we had dinner at Casa Rios at an outside table. The food and margaritas was good as usual. We always eat there at least once while in San Antonio.
We took a boat ride as it had been years since we had done that. The price is up to $7.50 per adult and $2.00 for kids. After a nice evening on the riverwalk we headed back to the Contessa. It was too nice an evening to go in, so we got a table outside and ordered dessert and Irish coffee from Las Ramblas. The food and service was great.
We went up to our room and found that they had not delivered the breakfast coupons, so we went down to the front desk to inquire about them. The same guy was at the desk so we spoke to Alicia instead. We explained our dilemma and she said it would be no problem. She would go in the back and print up our breakfast coupons. The guy who caused the problem interrupted our conversation with Alicia and was all defensive about our having canceled our reservation etc. Needless to say he was not being helpful. Alicia said everything was in order and she would have our coupons in a few minutes and she came through for us.
The bed was comfortable and we enjoyed having the 2 television sets as we like to watch different programs. We found the bath towels big and fluffy and liked the Aveda bath amenities. Someone in a previous review complained that the towel bar was too far from the shower and that they got the floor all wet getting a towel. There was a hook right next to the shower to hang a towel so that was not a problem.
We enjoyed the minibar. Prices were about average for mini bar items.
We had the breakfast buffeti n Las Ramblas that came with the room two monings in a row and were delighted to find that the hot items on the buffet changed on the second morning. The food was very good and the service provided by our waitress was excellent both visits.
My husband had a short break for lunch so we walked back to Cafe Rios. They have a tortilla soup and salad special daily and the service there from Carmen was excellent.. He easily made it back to his meeting with time to spare. That afternoon we headed out again to the Riverwalk and decided to have drinks and appetizers in one restaurant and dine elsewhere for dinner. However, we had such a great table at Zuni and the Cactus Margaritas were awesome, so we stayed there for dinner. I highly recommend the blue corn enchiladas with black beans and rice. My husband had the filet mignon. He said it was good, but a little underdone. We thought about dessert at Las Ramblas again, but opted for second margaritas at Zuni instead.
The Hotel Contessa is a very quiet hotel. The atmosphere was very calming. The gift shop had a great selection and opened early and stayed open later than most. We went up to look at the rooftop pool. It was loaded with parents and little kids. I planned on spending a day in the sun at the pool, but a cold front and rain moved in. We have previously stayed at both the River Center and Riverwalk Marriotts, Hilton Palacio del Rio, Hyatt Riverwalk, and the Plaza San Antonio. We would return to the Hotel Contessa over any of those hotels, but think we will try the Westin on our next visit. It is just down from the Contessa. The Westin has balconies while the Contessa is all suites and both have a great location on the Riverwalk. Everyone at the hotel except that one guy at the front desk was friendly and provided great service. Valet parking is $25.00 per night. If you don't valet the self park lot is down a block across the street and costs $16.00 per night.. The valet service was very prompt.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business