“Can't Wait to Return!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, TX
“Can't Wait to Return!”
Reviewed 11 July 2009

I booked our trip to Hotel Contessa, on the recomendation of a friend, BEFORE I read all the bad reviews on TripAdvisor...needless to say I was a little worried...but all for nothing. We had a few days away from Austin to celebrate my 40th birthday, and we had a fantastic time. I worked in the cruise/hospitality industry for many years and I'm extremely picky about hotel room cleanliness and staff attentiveness. I honestly cannot fault the Hotel Contessa. The location is perfect, the hotel is beautiful, the rooms are great, the king size bed was divinely comfortable, the happy hour is fab ($20 pitcher of sangria and half priced tapas). We didn't want to leave...go...relax...enjoy. P.S. If you sign up for emails direct from the hotel, you can get a suite for $120 per night. And, if you park your own car just half a block away, it's $12 per 24 hrs as opposed to the high charge for parking at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (891)
Texas
Reviewed 11 July 2009

Overall, I liked my stay here. I liked my stay here although I am likely to try another hotel if I visit this city again. I think I had expected more since I picked it due to Conde Nast recommendation and I had read about it in Southern Living Magazine shortly after it opened. My check in was very slow and the reception desk was a little chaotic. I was allowed to check in early. When I arrived to the room, there was a musty smell in the bedroom. It was quickly rectified after calling housekeeping and during my absence for lunch. Friends traveling with me arrived to their room and had lots of issues with the cleanliness of the room. Some were moved to another room to resolve problems. They need to quickly address the housekeeping or person that cleaned these rooms (assuming it is not an overall housekeeping issue). After these things, there were no addl concerns. I had room service each day for breakfast. I arrived hot and was timely. The food was was good. I really liked the River level bar area.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We stayed at this lovely hotel for 4 nights recently. The rooms were great with a bedroom, good sized bathroom and a separate living area. We had a view of the Riverwalk (just) but it was away from the main part of the Riverwalk which suited us fine as a retreat from the hussle and bussle of the main area. It would have been a pleasant walk to the main area if it hadn't been so blooming hot during our visit. The staff were so friendly and keen to direct us to wherever we wanted to go. Checking in and out went like clockwork. We used the self-park car park over the road and there wasn't a problem (we stayed Friday to Tuesday). At $15 a day we thought this wasn't expensive for a tourist area and we knew that was what we would be expected to pay before we booked anyway by doing a bit of research.

We used the bar a few times and enjoyed tapas and drinks at "happy hour". The only slight niggle is that one evening we couldn't get any attention from the waitress (wasn't particularly busy in there) but there didn't seem to be many staff about - we gave up in the end and went elsewhere.

The pool area was good but a little smaller that it appears on the hotel photos. There's a well equipped gym but we didn't have time to use it. There's also an Aveda Spa. We were thinking of having some treatments but they turned out expensive so we gave it a miss.

We would definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 4 July 2009

This hotel is located on the corner of two busy streets. There is a bus stop right below the bedrooms on the " river view" side. There is a bus stopping every two minutes from 6:00 am till 11:00 at night. Very noisy with a lot of people waiting for the bus and cars honking. My husband and I had drinks at the cork bar. There were so many flies and mosquitoes that we had to leave after a few minutes, and this bar is located in the lobby. The food was only OK at the restaurant downstairs. Breakfast was only OK as well. Nothing was really interesting or romantic about this place. Too much traffic noise due to the location. $32/day for parking was more than the price I paid for the rental car!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nfard11
Houston
Reviewed 1 July 2009

Traveling with a 2 and 4 year old, so we needed a suite (i.e. two separate rooms). The king suite w/parlor was perfect and very tasteful and luxurious feeling. The room was completely quiet, no noise whatsoever (and we were only on the 3rd floor). The valet parking was expensive ($28). However, this is inline with other similar hotels in the area. If that is a problem, then just do what we did and self park half a block up at Presa and W. Market - only $12 for overnight parking. If we can do it with 2 toddlers, anyone can do it!!! Be sure to check out the rooftop pool, even if you aren't going for a swim...the views are great. The hotel does charge for WiFi, as most other upscale hotels do. However, San Antonio has free WiFi in many areas, and we were able to connect to it for free from within our room. Can't say enough good things about this hotel -

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank clav10c
Houston, TX
Reviewed 30 June 2009

I have stayed at Hotel Contessa 3 times and have thoroughly enjoyed each stay. I am scheduled for another visit in July. All 3 times I have stayed at the hotel with my husband and toddler. I absolutely love this hotel! When I walk in I just melt to the fragrance that is sprayed throughout the hotel. Staff is always very accommodating and friendly. The breakfast is phenomenal and the location is perfect! It saddens me to read these types of reviews because I have NEVER had such experiences. Hotel Contessa is my home away from home in San Antonio when ever I visit. Hotel Contessa is a stellar property and I highly recommend to all!

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank srlaries
Houma, LA
Reviewed 21 June 2009

Attractive hotel on the River, but a bit removed from the action. Top notch staff and doormen. Valet Parking is steep, but there is a cheaper self park lot accross the street. Beautiful rooms, but street noise is deafening. The bus stop was located at the corner of the hotel which made for constant noise. Need better windows to dampen the sound. Nice restaurant with a mid-priced expansive breakfast buffett.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends