“If You Like Bad Service and Lip Service, Stay at the Contessa”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Contessa

Hotel Contessa
Ranked #11 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, Texas
“If You Like Bad Service and Lip Service, Stay at the Contessa”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2006

We spent two nights at the Contessa. The staff is very courteous. And ineffective. I had a mechanical problem in my room. It took numerous calls and front desk visits to finally get it fixed. Each time I was pleasantly told by the front desk that "Engineering will be up to the room in 15 minutes." Well, that always promised 15 minute wait actually turned out to be more than a day and half later.

We left for the day and come back to our room at 5 pm to get ready for a night out. The room still wasn't made up. A call to the ever-pleasant front desk produced no results in terms of getting maid service. So, I went out and personally tracked down a housekeeping supervisor, who then found our floor's maid, who then finally made up the room (sort of), while we waited to shower.

Valet parking service is quite expensive and does not guaranty that you get your vehicle in a hurry. (Calling ahead helps some in this regard.) But, the parkers are very polite.

• Liked — nothing whatsoever
  • Disliked — hard to get to/find location, expensive parking, poor service, and a bad TV in the bar
  • Tips/Secrets — Yes, stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (849)
Carmel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2006

I just returned from spending a long weekend at Hotel with my mother and sisters, celebrating my 50th birthday! First time to San Antonio...will go back and stay at the same hotel in the future! Everything at the hotel was wonderful, from check-in to check-out. We arrived at 10:30 a.m. and they immediately gave us two rooms. We were on our way down the RIver Walk before 11:00! The hotel is situated in a perfect location for walking everywhere. The bar and restaurant there are great, and the service was awesome. Jose, our waiter could not have been nicer!!!
Catherine, the concierge, was very sweet and accomodating in finding us dining reservations one evening, and arranging for a cab to pick us up when we needed it.
All the staff at the hotel went out of their way to make us feel at home, and what I appreciated the most was that ALL of them had smiles on their faces all the time...like they really loved their jobs!
The pool area is very nice for lounging. Not huge area, but great for what we were looking for.
Hotel was exceptionally clean and rooms were spacious and nicely decorated. We all had the best nights sleeping, as the beds were ultra comfortable!
Would highly recommend this hotel and I will definitely stay there next time I go to San Antonio!

• Liked — location, cleanliness, decor, friendly staff
  • Disliked — too few elevators
  • Tips/Secrets — take comfortable shoes
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank Bjay
Chicago, Ill
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2006

We loved this Hotel. It is in a perfect location on the Riverwalk. The rooms are fantastic-the most comfortable beds we ever slept in. Large spacious suites with comfortable couches and 2 flat screen TV's. We spent the first night at the Wyndam's St. Anthony's Hotel which I would not recommend, then the next 3 nights at the Hotel Contessa. The only similarity between hotels was the price range.

• Liked — the rooms
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chicroamer
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2006

We arrived before their published check in time and as we pulled into the front drive, we had to wait a few minutes before a valet greeted the car.

Upon check in, the agent asked the usual questions, and when I asked for a higher floor, I would have expected some sort of acknowledgement to my verbal request (as I am a manager of a hotel myself), but none was given, although the agent did place me on the top floor. Overall, the agents at the front desk were efficient, but not very friendly.

I was also surprised when I arrived to my room that the agent had 'upgraded' me to a riverview suite (they are listed at $40 more than the city-view suites that I reserved). I'm not complaining, but a friendly word from the front desk agent would have been nice at the front desk to tell me that she had 'upgraded' our room.

The room itself was spacious and clean. If you have been to an Embassy Suites, the rooms are a little smaller than that, but the same type of layout. One thing that I liked was that there wasn't a window out to the hallway. I hate that window in Embassy Suites, and am always feeling that guests walking down the hallway can see inside my room. So not having that window there was a plus.

A couple of bad things with the room. One - the telephone in the bedroom portion did not work. No dial tone or anything. Luckily, the cordless phone in the living room worked throughout the entire suite. Two - there were two crickets in the room. Not that big a deal for me, as I work in a hotel and crickets in no way have anything to do with the cleanliness of the room.

If you choose to valet your car (a steep $25/ night. I'm not sure of the Valet parking rates for other downtown hotels so that may be the going rate), I would suggest that you call ahead from your room if you need your car pulled up. We didn't the Saturday night that we went out and waited for about 10 minutes outside for our car to be pulled up.

The location of the hotel itself is great. Easy access to the Riverwalk (since it's on the River), the Alamo and Rivercenter Mall (each just 5-6 blocks away). I couldn't have asked for a better hotel in regards to the price for a suite and the location of the hotel.

At check out, again, the front desk was their efficient self, but not friendly. I learned my lesson regarding the Valet and called ahead of time to have the car brought up. This time the car was waiting for us as we stepped out into the front drive.

All in all, this hotel was perfect for the trip that I had this weekend, great location and price for a suite. Along with all of the minor hiccups with the service and the room, I would still recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The location and price
  • Disliked — The lack of friendly service
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't pay extra for a riverview suite. Just ask for it when you check in.
  • Stayed September 2006
7 Thank DallasMatt22
Wichita Falls, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2006

My buddy and I (30 something males) stayed at the Contessa on a Friday and Saturday night while in town for the Texas A&M/Army game at the Alamodome. The Contessa was extremely convenient for access to the Riverwalk, as well as to the Alamodome (and would be for the convention center as well). While it is on the Riverwalk, it is just around the bend from the most crowded and noisy section. Close enough for easy access to the restaurants, but not so close as to be bothered by the noise.

We selected the cheaper option--a suite not on the Riverwalk, and got exactly what we wanted: a suite with two double beds. The separate sitting area and two TVs allowed us to close off the bedroom and for one person to be up while the other was in bed. I don't believe the hotel has any balconies (our room certainly didn't), so I'm not sure why one would want to pay extra for a Riverwalk view, particularly if you end up on the upper floors.

Beds were very comfortable, bathroom fairly spacious and functional. The decor was modern, with a bit of a Southwest motif, but still comfortable rather than edgy.

Would reccommend it to others, and will stay there again if I return to San Antonio in the near future.

• Liked — Room layout
  • Disliked — Lack of vending machines
  • Tips/Secrets — Use downtown parking garages rather than valet parking if you do not intend to use your car during your stay
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with friends
2 Thank tomkey
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2006

We stayed there the weekend of August 25th. Although it was hot in SA it was cool in the rooms and throughout the hotel. The suite was a very nice size and pleasantly decorated with a decent sized bedroom, bathroom and living area. We were annoyed that the shower didn't get hot right away or drain very quickly, but that problem happened only once. I had a problem with the safe resetting and an engineer came upstairs immediately. The room was clean and serviced by the time we came home in the late afternoon. Great location at a quiet part of the riverwalk. Staff was very courteous, especially the concierge and front desk. I would not pay the extra money for the Riverview suite since you look down on just a partial view of the river. Other places such as La Mansion and Watermark really have a better river view and position.

• Liked — location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — not a good view of riverwalk
  • Tips/Secrets — don't pay for a riverview
  • Stayed August 2006
1 Thank Jneen
San Antonio,TX.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2006

Stayed in the hotel for 4 days.
Despite other peoples reviews our room was quiet. We slept like babies. We also woke up as hungry. We ate the Spanish Frittata it was good. The staff was friendly and attentive.
When we arrived at our room we asked housekeeping for extra towels and she brought us extra towels. As we walked from the elevator we saw a woman yelling at a woman who worked as house keeping. She pointed her finger at the house maid and seemed intimating. We entered our room and changed into more relaxed clothes so we could see the Alamo. As we left our room we saw the same housekeeping maid crying. We asked her if she wanted us to call security, she said no. She told us that nothing can be done. We asked another housemaid who is the woman that did all the yelling. The woman who yelled at her was the supervisor named "Rebecca". We ate dinner at a restaurant called "Cafe Ole" it is only a few walking steps from Hotel Contessa. Our next, day we ate breakfast at our hotel. Again we saw the supervisor "Rebecca" this time yelling at another employee. I spend hundreds of dollars and I like quality and service, which the hotel has, and peace which my wife felt threaten when she passed " Rebecca" in the hallway. We are owners of our own business and have several employees and managers. When we see a situation that involves lack of professionalism such as Rebecca displayed to us, we pull the employee or manager aside and speak to them.
Our third day we headed for the majestic theater and returned for a couple of drinks from "Dario".
The air-condition was great it kept our room cool and was very pleasant. Our room was non-smoking and everything was clean. Overall from a score of 1-10 I give this hotel a 9. The only flaw was how they threat their housekeeping employees with lack of professionalism.

Stayed July 2006