“Perfect Getaway”

GreenLeadersBronze level
NW Arkansas
“Perfect Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2010

My husband and I spent a perfect 2 days and 2 nights at the Hotel Contessa. The service was excellent and the room was large and comfortable. The hotel was very busy with several group events occurring during our stay. Our room was near the elevator but I heard very little noise and slept like a log. My recommendation to anyone visiting San Antonio is to not eat on the Riverwalk. There are lots of excellent restaurants, some within walking distance of the hotel. We flew to SA and took a cab to the hotel. Most attractions are within walking distance or a cab ride from the hotel. The cabs in San Antonio were very clean and the cabbies very friendly and accommodating. We visited the Pearl Brewery on Saturday where they have a small farmers makret and several shops and restaurants. We had a unforgettable lunch at Il Sogno Osteria.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
HCGM, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, 6 May 2010
We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write all about your perfect 2 day stay at Hotel Contessa. We are happy that our facilites were to your likling and your were satisfied with your accomotions. It is great to know that your expectations were exceeded. We look forward to having you as a guest in the future.

Wende Blumberg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (850)
Kilcreggan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2010

Better than average hotel that opens up on to the Riverside Walk

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Austin, TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2010

I stayed in a 2-bed + fold out suite on St. Patrick's Day. Their checkin wasn't until 4pm, but I called ahead and was told I would probably be able to checkin early by noon or 1pm. I arrived at 2pm. I was told there is no free parking and velvet cost $30, or I could park in a near-by structure for about $15. I then drove around for 30min looking for parking, but all lots were full. So, I returned to the hotel and paid the $30. When I tried to checkin at 2:30 I was told nothing was available, but they could possibly get me in a street-view room within an hour. I said no, I wanted the river-view room I had reserved and would wait. I went to lunch and returned to the hotel at 4:30. I waited again in their 15min line with one person running the desk, then at 4:45 they took us to our room. The room was a street-view! I called and complained but was told there was nothing they could do other then take of the $20 difference between the rooms. In the room we found candies, sodas, and waters and a sign saying they were all $5 each. Our kids were very disappointed we would not let them eat any of the candy that was laid out to greet them. At one point we requested extra shampoo's and soaps, but that never arrived. I didn't need internet while I was there, but if I did they were happy to provide me with wired internet in my room (no WiFi) to the tune of $8/hr!!! When I returned home, I found they had charged my card 2 times, once for $16 and once for $449. My reservation total was $348 and that was for the river-view room. I am currently fighting the extra charges with my credit-card.

HCGM, Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, 19 April 2010
We want to apologize for the numerous issues and the lack of a follow you had during your visit. I too would have been most upset. We have shared your comments with our management .We know this does not change your experience but without your guest feedback, we cannot continue to improve our services. Once again we apologize.

Sincerely, Wende Blumberg General Manager
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Hotel Contessa while we were in San Antonio for the Final Four. Our King size, Riverview room was perfect...clean and quiet. The bathroom was also very clean and the shower had great pressure and hot water for as long as you'd like. We both felt that the location of the hotel was perfect. It was not directly above the busy restaurants and bars of the Riverwalk, but it was a very short stroll to get to the "fun". The Alamo, the Convention Center, the Alamodome were all a short walk away. We had breakfast at Las Ramblas (hotel restaurant) on our last morning and that was delicious and reasonably priced. Bonus: This happened to be Stanford's home hotel for the tournament - a nice bonus! There was a lot of excitement and fun centered around the team, the band and their fans....

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Cleveland, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2010

This was our first trip to the Riverwalk and we certainly enjoyed our stay here. The location is right on the Riverwalk, yet away from the noise of the city. The suite of rooms was spacious and clean and the staff, from the front desk to the restaurant, was friendly and helpful. My one complaint was the couple with the small dog at the pool,who allowed it to drink from the bubbler and then put it in the hot tub and pool. They did not belong at a first class hotel like Hotel Contessa. Other than that, we will definitely return.

HCGM, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, 6 May 2010
We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write all about your visit to Hotel Contessa. I really am sorry about the incident at the pool with the dog. I would like to apologize on their behalf and want to let you know that this is not a norm with pets at the hotel. We do have a pet policy and am sorry that these guest did not honor it. I know this does not change your experience but we appreciate you posting it and this will help us to pay more attention to guest with pets. We look forward to having you as guest again in the future.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2010

Had a last minute get away to San Antonio. Hotel Contessa was wonderful - rooms are very large with a seperate living area. Really creative design, would love to know what the building had been in a previous life.Read previous complaints about thinness of duvet - it is South Texas, you really don't WANT a thick duvet. Hotel is in a quiet area of the riverwalk, very nice for evening drinks on outside patio of restaurant watching the boats go by. Pool looked awesome, but we did not use. Valet parking was comparable with other hotels in the area, and they did explain our options for self parking when we first drove up - a nice touch. We went for the valet. Our toilet had a "must jiggle the handle" issue that I mentioned to the young lady when we checked out and she WROTE IT DOWN so she could tell maintenance, instead of just saying"OK, I'll tell someone" - nice attention to detail there.

HCGM, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, 6 May 2010
We are happy to read your comments about your stay and that you were very impressed with our hotel. It is great to know that we were your choice for your last minute get awya to San Antonio. To anwser your question, there was a flat parking lot where Hotel Contessa now stands. So we are the only building that has occupied this land. Also, I am sorry that the toilet was not functioning properly in your guest room; we appreicate you letting our Front Desk know about it so she could follow up with maintenance to fixed it..

Once again thank your for your posting. We look forward to having you as a guest again in the future.
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2010

I've visited San Antonio countless of times and have always stayed on the River Walk. This year we pricelined our hotel and got Hotel Contessa. What an AMAZING hotel for the price we paid!!

The hotel rooms are pretty big suites giving enough space for a family of 4 adults to relax and sprawl out in. The bathrooms are extremely roomy with modern and elegant touches. I found myself taking a very long shower since it was so relaxing in there. The location can't be beat. Once you walk down to the lobby, you're right on the river ready to go. Even though you are on the river walk, the area still has a calm and quiet atmosphere and does not get too rowdy at night. Service was beyond excellent. Everyone from the valet guys to the front desk to housekeeping were so nice and accomodating.

The down size...parking is not free and you have to pay a pretty hefty daily fee to have the valet guys park it across the street in a parking garage. But like all hotels on the river walk, parking is always going to cost you. So this was not much of a surprise for us.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel to future visitors! Thanks Hotel Contessa for great weekend!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
HCGM, General Manager at Hotel Contessa, responded to this review, 6 May 2010
Thank your for choosing Hotel Contessa for your visit to San Antonio. I am glad to know that your accomodations were to your liking and you felt very relaxed in your guest suite. I do agree with you that we are on the quiet side of the riverwalk and it provides great relaxation to our guest and if you want to go to were there is more action, you are just step outside and walk a short walk on the riverwalk.

Once again I am happy to know that we exceeded your expectations and look forward to having you as a guest in the futures.

General Manager.