“Sit a while, it’s worth it!”

Iron Cactus Mexican Grill & Margarita Bar
Ranked #83 of 4,956 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$8 - US$19
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

If you’re thinking you’ll just pop in and grab a bite, you might want to think again. They are busy so there is a wait from 5min-45min. We were on vacation and it was our one night out to splurge on a meal so we totally didn’t mind waiting. I HAD to have an outside table just so I could say I had dinner on the river lol. The food was amazing especially the dessert. The Mexican donuts were the perfect end to the meal. We were there about 2 hours so we had plenty of time to enjoy our meal and not rushed either. The price wasn’t outrageous so it was a good ‘nice’ meal for my family. If you’ve got time to just chill and enjoy your company, I would definitely recommend this place!! And if you’re wondering where on the river it is, it’s right by the ‘Selena bridge’. We parked in a city garage a few blocks away and didn’t have trouble finding it.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,222)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Food was great, service was mediocre, our server told us after we ordered drinks and appetizers“ it will be a while because I have to take care of 2 other tables” indeed took a while to get drinks, guacamole, chips and food. The guacamole prepared at the table was very good, first time I see it prepared with orange instead of lime. Fajitas were well cooked and the steak was tender. If the service improves they will get many 5 stars.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Jenni was excellent in suggesting us the right dishes. The food was very good, ambience was nice. And all the staff there working real hard with a smile in there face. An excellent experience.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I’ve never encountered a place where the entire staff was hateful and rude. I felt like I was at Dick’s last resort, I mean I expect that from there. But unfortunately it happened at the Iron Cactus, from the hostess, to the two bar keeps, to the waitstaff, and finally when I’d had enough I spoke to the manager Amy. Guess what?! She promised to correct the issue, but She didn’t. I think this problem just stems from poor management. And all because I asked them to remake a $9.50 margarita which the bartender made and stated loudly to her co-worker, “I think I forgot something in there the color doesn’t look right.” When I asked her to remake the drink she childishly threw my drink down the drain and pouted, a waiter then asked me what I was unsatisfied about and I explained. He was so rude to me I stopped her from making the drink and said I’d like my check and was leaving. The barkeep charged me for the drink they dumped on the sink and when I spoke to the manger she said she would refund but never did. If you want to be treated like crap, just go to Dick’s the drinks are cheaper!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Had a great experience at the Iron Cactus. The food was very good. It was so busy that we had to sit outside, but the evening was lovely. Enjoyed the outside ambiance, the people walking by the Riverwalk and the fun wait staff. A great place to have a relaxing meal!