“Great hole in the wall Mexican food (not Tex Mex) in SanAntonio”

Guajillo's The Shortcut to Mexico
Ranked #129 of 4,602 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$2 - US$12
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: North Central
Description: San Antonio's ONLY Mexico City Kitchen. We serve only Real Mexican Cuisine found in the Central and Southern Regions of Mexico. From Ceviches, Nopalito Salad, Pozole, Sopa Azteca, Tacos, Quesadilla Poblana, Steak with Pasilla Pepper Sauce, Chicken Tinga, Cochinita Pibil, Mole Verde, Bistek a La Mexicana, Enfrijoladas, Mahi Mahi al Ajillo, Bacalao a la Mexicana,... All desserts are Grandma's recipies. $5.95 Lunch Special M-F 11am-3pm.
Houston, Texas
“Great hole in the wall Mexican food (not Tex Mex) in SanAntonio”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

By far the best Mexican food we ate during a long weekend in San Antonio, May 2014. Look it up and be sure to try the fried pork tenderloin. Unbelievable! It is a bit of Mexico mixed with Austria. The staff is great and the owner came by to ask me about the Pork.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Tlcwacjac

Houston, Texas
“Disappointed ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Coming from a Hispanic, this is not authentic Mexican food. The salsa is hot, but it doesn't have a tasty flavor. If you want home-made tortillas, this is not the place to come.
I order mole and it came with white rice not Mexican rice. The beans did not taste home-made either.

1 Thank oaguiler
Abilene, Texas
“Real Mexican Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Anytime I can go to San Antonio and eat at Guajillo's I am a happy lady. The food is authentic and I love their tortilla soup and fresh salsa. My favorite dish is El Pastor and you can never go wrong with their beef tacos. The prices are fantastic and the portions are large. Everyone who works there is very friendly and glad to offer suggestions. I recommend arriving early as the restaurant is small and very popular. You can always get it to go!

• Visited June 2013
Graham, Texas
“Authentic Mexican Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I can't stress enough that this is not Tex Mex. I was stumped by what to order so I asked the waitress for a recommendation. She was very sweet and gave us several suggestions. We both loved our food. I ordered a bean/tortilla dish and my husband got some tacos. I also got a margarita that was delicious but really snuck up on me! We would like to visit again if we are back in the area.

“Great food and service. This is not Tex Mex”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I had great food and experience eating at Guajillo's. This is not Tex Mex!. I have no Mexican heritage but have eaten in Mexico (not just south of the boarder). Guajillo's food has the fresh and authentic taste of traditional Mexican. I had the Zucchini slices with mole and it was very good. Their beans and especially the guacamole is very fresh and tasty.
The service and friendliness also get 5 star. I had my two grandsons with me (5 months old and 3 years old) the staff saw me coming in and met me at the door, opened it, offered to take the baby carrier and took me to the table that best met my needs. The waitress was friendly and efficient (how wonderful to find in a restaurant)! She interacted with my 3 year old and encouraged him to eat his dinner.
I regret I am not from San Antonio, if so, they would be in my top 5 restaurants. I am not a fan of chain restaurant and like to experience the family restaurant when possible. It was a great meal and friendly service. I am not rating this restaurant on appearance, decor or ambiance - they don't need it. We used the restroom and it was clean. The parking is limited in front but they have ample space in rear.

• Visited May 2014