“Perfect!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Denver, Colorado
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

I read review, after review, after review on hotels on the riverwalk before settling on this one. Every place I looked at had had plenty of extremely unhappy guests. After staying here, I can't begin to imagine what problem anyone could have with this place. The staff was beyond accomodating. We arrived very late and they got us checked in quickly and easily. The place is very clean, in an old bank building with beautiful stained glass, ornate moldings & fixtures. Really beautiful. It's on the quiet end of the riverwalk so, no late night noises. We had a terrace so, definitely a little noise from traffic and street cleaners but, slept very well. Comfortable beds and linens. We were in a suite in the tower. It took a little while to get to the room from the riverwalk but, such a relaxing place to get to that it's worth the trip :) Rooftop pool & cathedral terrace are great additions to the atmosphere. The free breakfast was great, in a big area overlooking the lobby with windows to the outside. Also here they have free cocktails and appetizers every day at 5:30. You could make this a meal if you wanted to. There's plenty of good, hot food. We didn't end up going for supper until about 9. The staff helped us with cabs, our rental car, directions, everything we needed. They even called us to see if our visit was meeting or exceeding our expectations. I did think it was expensive. I've never paid over 200 dollars a night for a hotel room. The taxes and fees everywhere in this area are rediculous. There seemed to be a lot of people cleaning and maintaining the area so, I'm sure the money is used to keep everything nice. Nevertheless, I would recommend this place to anyone. I was ready to leave the riverwalk but not the Drury!

Room Tip: I think the tower has the newest rooms. The higher up you are, the less noise you'll get from t...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank eeboz
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
We were extremely excited to read and share your review with our team. Thank you for the research you completed on TripAdvisor prior to selecting our hotel and thank you for the time spent writing the posted review of your experience. Please know we appreciate it! In fact, each manager will utilize your feedback to directly reinforce the behaviors you experienced while a guest in our hotel. We can’t thank you enough for your input and can’t wait to welcome you back on a future visit!

Warm Regards,
Matthew H.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

I stayed at the Drury Plaza in February for 1 night. The staff is incredibly friendly, professional and very welcoming. The hotel is well maintained keeping in mind that the building is very old.
However, walking into the hotel gives you a San Antonio feeling. A city filled with history and very ancient. I have no complaints or anything negative about the Drury Plaza. It was worth the one night stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

We took a much needed break from the brutal winter we've been having "up-north" and decided to spend a week in San Antonio. Having been a fan of the Drury hotels in other states we were excited to stay at one of the historic use hotels. Absolutely loved this particular hotel - stunning interior lobby, fantastic room in the San Fernando tower and the pool and hot tubs on the roof were breathtaking. So many of the extras that you just don't find anywhere else added to our ultimate get-away!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank skyecameron
Oro Valley, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

My overall review of the hotel is positive and I would stay here again. They are very committed to making sure you are not nickel and dimed to death on small things like Wi-Fi and room perks and that is very much appreciated. The daily morning breakfast and evening snack/cocktails are very nice to have as well, but I did not use them everyday.

The room was very clean and nicely appointed. I had a suite that had a full-size fridge which was also convenient. My only complaint about the room was the street noise. My first night was on the 10th floor and the noise from the multitude of buses that go through the St Mary's corridor awoke me frequently. I asked for a different room for the rest of my stay and they moved me to the 17th floor (same room side of hotel), and the street noise was then bearable, but I could still hear it. I normally bring a fan when I travel to drown out noises, but did not have room on this trip and there was no ambient noise (like a fan) in the room. Anyway, that was my only complaint about the room.

The rooftop pool is very cool, but since it is on the roof, it is also subject to winds, which made it not so comfortable. The fitness center is also not very good if you want to lift weights. Very old and not so well maintained equipment made a decent workout pretty much impossible and they do not have any agreements with local gyms like other places I've stayed in San Antonio.

I was also not very happy that when I asked for a late checkout, the best they could do for me was noon. Even though I spent 4 nights there and am a Gold Key Club Member. I thought this was not very acceptable. They did store my baggage for free for the afternoon, however.

Room Tip: Not on the St Marys Street side.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AZTrojan
DruryHotels, Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for selecting our hotel on your recent visit to San Antonio. It was our pleasure to serve you. We appreciate the time dedicated to writing your review and the great comments directed towards our housekeeping team. We will be sure to share your comments with them in our morning meeting.
Further, please accept our sincere apology for the road noise you experienced on St. Mary's. Although the majority of city buses cease operation at 11:00pm, there could be a private tour bus arriving late to a nearby hotel. Also, thank you for your opinion on our fitness center. Our team will take an in-depth look at the workout experience we offer and ensure it is of the same high quality you are accustomed to at Drury Hotels. We truly appreciate your loyalty to our company as a Gold Key member and regret we were not able to honor your request for a later checkout; generally we are able to honor such requests.
Thank you again for visiting us at the Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Matthew H.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

My family and I stayed at the Drury River Plaza in November 2013. We absolutely loved this chain of hotels. They really do treat their guest very well.

The property is located downtown San Antonio, directly on the River Walk. Chase bank is on the property and there are plenty of shops, restaurant and entertainment a very short distance on the River Walk. All of the staff at the hotel are great. They were all very friendly, and helpful. They went out of their way to make us feel special.

The property is the former Alamo National Bank. There is the 22 story Alamo tower and a 15 story San Fernando Tower. The hotel has a wonderful 1960 era feel, and decor. The lobby is very grand. The old bank teller area is now the guest check-in area. There is an outdoor pool on top of the Alamo tower, and an indoor pool in the San Fernando tower. There is also a very functional gym and a jacuzzi. There are 2 coin-op laundry room with 2 washers and 2 dryers in each room. It’s $1.50 to wash, and $1.50 to dry, detergent and static cloths are $1 each. There is also a semi-private computer room with 4 computers and 2 printers which are free to use.

The serve a great free breakfast daily which includes; eggs, sausage/bacon, pancakes, potatoes, biscuits and gravy, cereals, breads/pastries, and juices, milk. They also have a “Kick back” every day from 5:30 - 7:30pm which includes; 3 alcoholic drinks, 3 entries such as hotdogs, pasta and meatballs, chicken nuggets. They also serve veggies, salad, chips & dip, and sodas. They also have free popcorn and soda every day from 3-10pm.

The elevators on the ground floor all require a room key to operate for security. There is free WIFI in the lobby with a strong signal. You must valet your vehicle and the cost is $21 per day with in/out privileges.

We stayed in a one room suite, with 2 queen beds. We found with room to be of medium size, and had very classy decorations, was clean and well maintained. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The room had plenty of drawer and closet space. There was free in-room WIFI with a very strong signal. There was no room safe, but it was easy to use the safety deposit boxes at the front desk.

The front room had a desk, and reclining lazy boy (loved this chair), a medium sized HD flatscreen television with lots of cable channels and free HBO channels, a microwave, a refrigerator, coffee maker, iron and board. The bedroom had the 2 queen beds and another medium sized HD flatscreen television.

The bathroom had the sink, toilet, tub/shower all in one room with large windows that provided great views. The bathroom was medium sized, very clean, and well maintained.. There was also a blow dryer.

I love this hotel chain because they do not nickle and dime their customers, in fact it’s just the opposite, they include many freebies in the price of the room. This is a fantastic hotel, especially for families. The next time I visit San Antonio, I couldn’t imagine staying anywhere else. I would highly recommend this wonderful hotel to all of my family and friends. I’m looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank SNAFU23
st. paul, mn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

We stayed here for two nights with family for a quick vacation to see San Antonio. The hotel was fantastic. The location on the riverwalk made it easy to access all of downtown San Antonio. The staff was great. Everybody we encountered was very pleasant and helpful. It's obvious that management takes the time and spends the money to properly train their staff. The breakfast and happy hour were very nice perks. Rooms were large, clean and well appointed. We will definetely return to this hotel on our next visit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

Old Bank renovated to hotel... great atmosphere right on the river walk. you get the feeling it is an old office environment, but behind the doors are nice rooms. a little snug, but well appointed. Great place, great time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple