“Clean, nice rooms and excellent hotel staff (for the most part)”

Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #10 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We held our annual conference at this hotel and could not be happier! The conference rooms were always set up and perfect, the snacks and drinks were fully stocked the whole time. The staff that assisted us with the conference and pre-planning were awesome and extremely helpful. We were so impressed that we booked the next year's conference here already.

As for the rooms - they were clean and very nice. I had the pleasure to stay in the old hotel tower and the new one on my second trip. Both towers were great and the rooms were clean. The towels were not the paper thin towels at most hotels, these were very nice.

Food and beverages were awesome! The hotel's breakfast buffet is the best I have had. The evening/happy hour drinks were great. The only issue we had was with the hotel front desk staff. It took us too long to check in and they were not very attentive or knowledgeable about our conference. They directed attendees to the wrong area and again, took way too long to process anything.

All-in-all it was a great stay and we will be back next year! Thanks everyone!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
DruryHotels, Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us at the Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk during your annual conference. We are honored to be your hotel of choice and value the relationship we have built. Thank you very much for the review and perfect rating on Trip Advisor. We certainly appreciate the detailed account of your experience and will utilize the constructive feedback to improve our attentiveness at the front desk. Again thank you for the invaluable feedback; it is essential in our effort to create a perfect hotel experience!

Matthew Hosack

Write a ReviewReviews (2,860)

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Nice hotel in a great location. The Riverwalk is a great attraction. Good restaurants, lively bars, lots of people. San Antonio is very Southwest in food, architecture and culture. Hotel lacks a restaurant, bar and store. They serve a full breakfast and a happy hour with hors d'oeuvres.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of San Antonio instead of the parking garage.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I loved this pick of a hotel on the riverwalk. I picked this hotel based on tripadvisor reviews.

Things we liked.....

1) Great location to the hub bub of the riverwalk. Some hotels are on the quieter stretches of the riverwalk but this was in a great location.

2) Rooms were great

3) Night snack (not sure they have this every day) was not a snack to out family....it was dinner. They had chicken nuggets for the kids, hot dogs, soup, and other snacks. saved us a lot of money by not having to go out to dinner.

4) The riverwalk boat ride is a 2 minute walk from this hotel....i really liked that.

5) Used the riverwalk from our hotel to see the Alamo....about a 10 minute walk

6) Breakfast was good....waffles, oatmeal, eggs, etc

Cons

The only bad thing about this was that we were traveling with a travel case on the top of our car. Their parking garage has low clearance so we could not park in their garage. I had to park our car 5 minutes down the street.

Overall....loved the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My wife and I stayed 4/27-4/29 after attending a wedding in Austin. This was our first trip to San Antonio together and we wanted some place central and close to the riverwalk. The Drury fit the bill perfectly.

The only issue we had was at check in so I'll get that out of the way. We arrived in SA a couple hours early so we had to get creative and find a way to pass some time before check in. We had lunch and did some shopping. We were anxious to get to the hotel and get checked in, so we arrived promptly at 3:00pm. However, our room was not ready and we ended up waiting in the lobby for about 35 minutes before we were given access to a room. Sarah at the concierge upgraded our room for the delay, but I had already paid for a very nice top tier room so I didn't really see the value in it.

We arrived to the room and it was, well, big. Not necessarily any nicer than what I had booked, just much bigger, which honestly we didn't need. The only issue I had with the room was it was east facing, and because of the size the AC was not able to keep up or cool the unit down. The air ran non stop from check in to check out and it maintained about 76 during the day.

Now on to the good stuff. The view from the room was fantastic. We were on the 14th floor of the San Fernando tower in a corner unit. The patio was awesome and the view of the city lights was great. We could also look down on the Riverwalk from two ends of the patio. The room was clean and had everything we needed.

We toured the buildings briefly and the both the indoor 9th floor and the rooftop pools were very nice. We didn't have suits or the time to spare and didn't partake, but they very nice.

The complimentary breakfast was really very good for what it was. I love breakfast. Not cereal or bananas, so it was nice to see all the hot offerings. The kick back was pretty neat too. I didn't eat anything but my wife had a small plate both nights. We did use all the free drink coupons which was nice. The kick back can get crowded because it is very popular. It isn't anything spectacular but perfect for a budget and was decent food.

We especially liked the fountain/coffee drink stations on the 2nd floor. I wish more places did this. It would be nice to see some type of bottled water added to that perk.

The valet was pricy but they were great. We traveled out mid stay once and both that time and during check out our car was promptly brought to the pickup and all the guys were kind and professional. I especially like that my car was garaged on site.

I saw the manager in the halls numerous times and he was very kind and attentive.

We traveled out to the Natural Bridge Caverns and they were awesome and worth the trip.

The location was perfect to the Riverwalk and everything we wanted to see. The room and grounds were clean and neat. We will definitely book here again if we return to SA.

Room Tip: Our extremely large room was not cooled very well. But rooms with a balcony are very nice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OD9
Reviewed 2 May 2014

So, firstly someone in a previous post claimed that the hotel didn't have river walk access. It does (Ok - you might have to walk through a corridor in the basement level - but it IS there!).

Perhaps one of the most impressive features of this hotel is the lobby. Stunning and on a par with some of the best hotels I've been to.

It's a shame that a hotel of this quality isn't a "full service" hotel - and doesn't offer things like room service. This hotel is simply better than that.

My room was in the San Fernando tower - and my only gripe is the route between the original bank building and the newer San Fernando tower isn't particularly classy - and on my floor (the 11th) they could definitely do with decorating the corridor walls - as housekeeping appear to have scraped all the way along the walls at one time or another.

Another minor irritation is the sheer number of times I went to use an elevator - only to find hotel staff in it - there are actually service elevators so not sure why they prefer to use the guess elevators.

This hotel is definitely good - but the question that they asked me when I checked out is 'did they exceed my expectations' and the answer is no - but they definitely met them.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The daily "Kickback" between 5:30 and 7pm where they offer a free hot and cold buffet and free drinks such as wine and beer, etc was especially welcome. They mean what they say when they advertise "Free extras at no extra cost". The free breakfast with plenty of hot and cold selections at their buffet was also a very welcome extra at no extra cost!
Our room was spacious and quiet and kept immaculately clean. The outdoor rooftop pool was a welcome attraction for us and offered a grand view of the city.
Best of all was the location.... Situated right beside the River-walk.
Very reasonably priced and great value for your money!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2014

There are often discounts on the website, but even if not, your rate includes breakfast and hearty cocktail hour and it is still a very good buy.It competes with the Holiday and Holiday Inns, and mariott coutyard in price range but, here you will get more for your money. Location is excellent; walk to everything and take the water taxi if going far. Rooms are immaculate. I was upgraded to a suite, Living room, bedroom bath and terrace,. very nice. check out the pool area at night for the best view of SA.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends