“FREE-FREE-FREE- Is not always better”

Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #9 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
London, United Kingdom
“FREE-FREE-FREE- Is not always better”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I want to like this hotel. I really do. Yes, wi-fi is free. Yes, coffee is free all day. Yes, there is a kick-back hour that provides "free food" and drinks (including cocktails). Yes, breakfast is free. Yes, the 'Riverwalk is a few steps away. Good reason to stay? NO. Have we become those mindless idiots that will take practically anything as long as its "free"? Sleeping rooms should be clean. Beds should be comfortable. Staff should be friendly. That's called 'Hotel Hospitality' its the rule of the thumb for all hotels! My first day at this hotel was a day of madness, of having to wait for a room, that was not available, and then wait for housekeeping to get another room ready. When I settled in I decided to take advantage of the kick-back hour and was nearly trampled over by a herd of food crazed guest waiting to take advantage of the free junk food. All I wanted was popcorn. But to my disappointment I was too late and told that I would have to wait until the next day. I decided to have a free coffee, which involved a sticky counter and a floor covered with trash. The next day, although I was comfortable with my room, I reluctantly complained and asked to have my room cleaned properly. Instead I was upgraded to another room that was reminiscent of the 1970's poor quality carpeting, paneled window and peeling plaster along the window borders. Any Brit will understand what I am describing. Mishaps continued which doesn't merit mentioning. The only advice I can give regarding this hotel is not to stay at this hotel and opt for another that is located a little further away. Its amazing how much more economical it will be and you are not that far from the infamous Riverwalk.
And should the Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk read this review my advice to you: do not tell a guest that your hotel is overwhelmed and fully booked. That's not a good excuse for poor performance. That's why you are a hotel. In conclusion to those reading this review we need to stop thanking our lucky stars for being treated decently. We pay good money to be pampered.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Gloria H
DruryHotels, Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank You for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor review regarding your experience with us. Our hotel clearly did not meet your expectations, nor ours. Please know that we read each and every Trip Advisor review and completed guest service survey form and utilize the detailed feedback to improve our performance, and more commonly celebrate our successes. Please accept our apology for our failures you encountered on your visit, but know they will be invaluable in our effort to provide a perfect stay for each and every guest. We do not use being busy and overwhelmed as an excuse for poor performance and will not start now. We hope you will give Drury Hotels a second chance and allow us to show you the level of service and accommodations we are known for and proud of. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Travel Safe,
Matthew H.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Second time we've stayed here and they didn't disappoint. Always awesome to stay in a place with historical and architectural significance.

The good:
- This used to be the Alamo National Bank and they kept all the Art Deco touches. Beautiful building!
- Rooms also match the decor and the beds are great.
- You wouldn't think the room size would accommodate a recliner but you get one.
- 5:30 kickback with free drinks - 'NUFF SAID! If Annette is on one of the drink stations get in her line ONLY. She will take care of you for your whole stay.
- Well-stocked hot breakfast.
- You didn't pay anything for the kickback or the breakfast.
- Direct riverwalk access.

The bad:
- The rooms are a tad on the small size but not problematic. Honestly, the size adds a touch of minimalist class - see and you will understand.
- Pricey parking - $21 a day. If you can carry your stuff there is a cheaper garage on the next block.

Pro tips:
- If you do it right you can use the kickback as a dinner (there's enough non-snack stuff) and some pre-game drinking for the riverwalk. Snag some late-night queso at The Original once the bars kick you out.
- Coffee, tea, and soda are available in the kickback area 24/7. Bring a drinking bottle for fill-ups to walk around with.
- Pack light and use offsite parking.
- If you valet, call 10 minutes ahead to avoid a wait.
- There is a bank downstairs and they still use the original vault. Go down there right at closing time to see them operate it. The side door stays open (passage sealed) with the innards exposed as a visit.
- Rooftop pool is great, and if you want a nifty spot to bring some drinks there's a nice patio on the other end of the hallway outside - easy to miss.
- Government worker? Bring an ID for government rate - federal, state and local all work fine.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors. If you find a room you really like tell them to note your account. If it'...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gw812
San Antonio
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We have stayed at this hotel several times in the past without any problems. On this trip lets say it wasn't so nice. My family and I had went out for the day and when we arrived back the room had not been cleaned. We were very tired and when calling down to the front desk to inquire about the room getting cleaned I was very rudely spoken too. Finally someone did come into the room and clean the room. My husband and I had to leave while the room was being cleaned so we went to sit in the dinning area. The dinning area was very filthy. It was 2:30 and breakfast had ended at 10:00 and it had not been cleaned. There was food all over the floor and tables. The next night my daughter had a period accident and we had left for the day. When we arrived back that evening the room had been cleaned and the bed was made "so we thought" when she pulled back the blankets to go to bed that evening she noticed the sheets had never been changed. This is horrible.... I have stayed here many times and noticed the quality of service has gone way down.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Loretta C
Thank you very much for your return visit to the Drury Plaza Hotel Riverwalk and for taking the time to share your review regarding your experience. First, please accept our apology for a team member speaking to you rudely. Frankly, it is unacceptable for our team to treat a guest of ours with anything but the utmost professionalism. In addition, we apologize that your room was not cleaned while you were out of the hotel. On future visits, please feel free to stop at the front desk or call as you are departing and we would be happy to prioritize the cleaning of your room while you are out. The last thing we want is to inconvenience you. I want you to know that we have addressed the specific issue you mentioned about your stained sheets not being changed. Our housekeeper should have noticed and changed the linen immediately. This issue allowed for a great training topic in our department. Last, thank you for highlighting the crumbs left on the tables and the floor of our dining area on the second floor. However, I can assure you the mess was not left from breakfast. Throughout the weekend of your stay we had a catering team utilizing our space to serve lunch to a group of active duty military personnel in town to attend training meetings. We appreciate your feedback and will utilize it to ensure we do a better job working with the caterer to ensure the space is left as clean as it was when they set up. Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back to a Drury Hotel soon!

Matthew H.
Huntsville, Texas
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed 7/25/14 - 7/27/14 You have to use the hotels valet parking and pay $22 a day over the room rate, or park off premises in public garage. This is a very nice hotel and has riverwalk access ( you have to go downstairs and walk past all the hotel conference rooms then you come out at a fairly remote place on the riverwalk yet still a short walk to everything ). Hotel was very clean and well kept. Bed was very comfortable ( not a cheap hotel bed ).The rooms are kind of small, but very nice. Large HD TV with 50 or so channels, coffee maker, mini fridge, microwave, and free internet. Also you get a free hot breakfast, its a real breakfast with pancakes, sausage, bacon, eggs, etc. In the evening you get 3 free drinks ( beer, or mixed drinks ), and free food ( baked potato, hot dogs, nachos, ravioli ). Combine all these things together and this is the reason I give this hotel 4 stars, and probably the best value on the riverwalk.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed here for one night on our way to Houston to see the Red Sox play. Decided to come to San Antonio first so we could visit the Alamo. The hotel is in a building that was built in the 1920's - originally as a bank. There are still remnants of the bank throughout the lobby and in other parts of the hotel. The walk to the Alamo is a quick 10 - 15 minutes. Upon arrival, we were informed about "kickback hour" otherwise known as happy hour. Free drinks and appetizers - great value. The rooms are very clean and roomy. The hotel is in a great area - right on the Riverwalk. Take the elevator in the hotel down to the bottom floor, walk out the door and you're on the Riverwalk. Great place to stay in San Antonio. Staff was very friendly and helpful - no complaints at all.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
San Antonio
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The best place ever. Very friendly staff. Room is very clean, beds are comfortable and the place is a distance walking for everything. I will tell family and friends to come here, I will coming back .

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I had never been to San Antonio before (or Texas for that matter) and I wasn't quite sure where to stay. All of my friends told me that I had to stay by the Riverwalk. That was sage advice. For those that haven't been to San Antonio yet, the Riverwalk is EVERYTHING. The town itself can seem empty, but 1 level below street level (where the river is found) is where everything is going on. On a Saturday night, there were loads of people walking, eating, drinking (evidently, open container is OK here). If you want to be out and about, the Riverwalk is the place to be.

I found this hotel on special somewhere and got a great rate for my stay. It's on the Riverwalk (check) and I found it to be a nice stay with lots of little surprises. I wasn't counting on the free wifi, but it was there and I had great reception on all of my devices while I was there. There's also a free breakfast every morning (not just continental, they had sausage, eggs, biscuits, pancakes, etc.). Finally, they have a "kick-back" in the early evening (5:30 to 7 I think) where they serve free drinks (alcohol included, up to 3 per person) and some tasty bites that can tide you over as a light dinner. I didn't realize any of this was part of the package, but it is and it was a nice surprise.

Location wise, the hotel is very convenient. As I mentioned, it's on the Riverwalk, though the hotel's doors open up to a quiet portion of it. This is a good thing. In any case, you just have to walk about 300ft, turn a corner and you're in the thick of it. I walked to the Alamo in about 10 minutes (again, along the Riverwalk), so it's close to major attractions. I even took a mile long stroll along city streets to the San Antonio Museum of Art. I walked back along the Riverwalk. (The Riverwalk was much nicer than the city streets.)

My room was nice, perhaps a bit dated if I had to mention it. However, everything was very clean and comfortable. I wish they had an in-room safe for the laptop, but they did not. I did bring my Pac-safe 12 bag, so I just had to pick a heavy piece of furniture to strap it to. I never had any problems with hot water or any of the room amenities.

One oddity was the hallways of the hotel - they're tiled with linoleum. This was the first hotel I've ever been to that didn't have carpet in the hallways. I guess it has to do with it being an old bank building. I was expecting to hear sound echoes of people walking up and down the hallways all night, but alas, it didn't happen.

Every staff member I spoke with was very personable and happy to answer any questions I had. No problems whatsoever.

One last reminder, this is an old bank building that has been converted into a hotel and expectations should factor that in. There's an "age" to the place and it isn't as gleaming or shiny as a newer property. If you're in town for a casual stay, you could easily have a great time here. If you're looking for a property to get your 2:30 spa on, you'll probably want to keep looking.

Room Tip: Pick an upper floor if possible. Around breakfast and dinner times, it can be difficult to get on th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business