“Historically Significant & Very Good Food”

Colonial Room Restaurant
Ranked #108 of 4,629 Restaurants in San Antonio
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Built as an addition to the original hotel and later remodeled by San Antonio architect Atlee B. Ayres in 1912, the Colonial Room Restaurant reflects the prevailing neoclassical style of its time. Decades of elaborate balls and parties have been hosted in this room.Among the celebrities who have dined here are Presidents Grant and McKinley, Robert E. Lee, and French actress Sarah Bernhardt. The Colonial Room Restaurant's famous mango ice cream was served at both of President Clinton’s inaugurations. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, the Colonial Room Restaurant features a fabulous noontime brunch and traditional entrees such as prime rib au jus and lamb shank with linguini. Don't miss the popular Sunday brunch buffet, which tastes even better at a table in the garden courtyard.
Houston, Texas
“Historically Significant & Very Good Food”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The Restaurant in the Menger Hotel: Our friend recommended we have lunch there, just up from the River Walk, near the River Center Mall and just down the street from the Alamo. The Lunch Buffet was excellent from the salad course through dessert and the best cup of coffee I have had in San Antonio. The buffet is all inclusive and even includes fare from the pasta bar, all for $18. My wife chose from the Lunch Menu and was very pleased. So much to chose from, we know we will go back for lunch many more times when visiting San Antonio.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Clay E

Columbus Oh
“Ok place for lunch”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We stopped by the Menger hotel on a whim and had lunch there. The food was ok but not great. I had a Reuben - the bread was overly toasted, not grilled, and broke as I picked it up. The corned beef was alright, but again not great. My wife had a tuna salad sandwich that she liked but didn't finish.

I think this restaurant is probably best for dinner not lunch. While I won't go back for lunch, I would have dinner here.

Austin, TX
“Beautiful classical guitar music, delicious meal. Fabulous evening!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We had a fantastic evening at the Colonial Room restaurant in the historic Menger Hotel on July 4th of this year. I did a lot of research on Trip Advisor and wanted to choose a restaurant that would please my husband and son who is about to leave for college. The menu looked very appealing, and the reviews were great. What caught my eye especially was the offering of live classical guitar music by Mr. Fernando Santa Fe every Friday and Saturday evenings. We were thrilled to get a reservation at a great table close to the musician. Everyone in the room was in a convivial mood because of the holiday, the gorgeous music and the delicious food. My son loved the French onion soup; I devoured the crab and shrimp martini, and my husband said the red snapper was among the best he's ever had. What a gem this place is, and what an incredible punctuation point to a splendid day in San Antonio. We had excellent service from soup to nuts! Sr. Santa Fe is incredibly talented. He was also very kind and gentle, and we enjoyed the descriptions he gave of the melodic pieces he played. When he learned that my son also plays classical guitar, he generously offered him the opportunity to play a song. You can't believe what a perfect memory that created for an eighteen-year-old. We love the Colonial Room and hope to stay in the hotel someday. Every single aspect of the evening was divine. Travelers would be wise to dine here when visiting San Antonio and target a Friday or Saturday so you can enjoy dinner while listening to beautiful music played by a wonderful man. We wanted this special trip to be filled with memories, and the evening at the Colonial Room was the absolute best one of all.

• Visited July 2014
DeLand, Florida
“Delicious Food, Great Atmosphere & Excellant Music.”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

On a recent Business Trip to San Antonio my wife & I stayed at The Historic Menger Hotel. We chose to eat breakfast at the hotel's Colonial Room Restaurant for convenience but were quite pleased with the quality of the food and the atmosphere of the restaurant historic like the hotel. Based on our breakfast experience, on the second evening of our stay we went back for dinner. The food was again delicious, the service outstanding and to top it all we were there was classical guitarist (Fernando Santa Fe) who is extremely talented and made the meal and evening more than memorable. We're looking forward to a return trip to San Antonio and meals at the Colonial Restaurant and Stay at the Menger Hotel.

• Visited June 2014
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Colonial Room Restaurant, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
We want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor.. The ladies and gentlemen of our staff will be pleased that their efforts toward exemplary guest satisfaction were recognized.

Fernando is truly a talented musician and enjoys the interaction with our guests.

We hope to have the opportunity to meet when you return to the Historic Menger Hotel and the Colonial Dining Room.

Best regards,
Hector R. Venegas
santa fe new mexico
“A wonderfully restaurant , and an amazing guitarist”
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

My family an I enjoyed a wonderful Sunday brunch, at the colonial room restaurant. The gourmet buffet was delicious. To top of our wonderful visit, our wonderful food was accompanied by beautiful classical guitar music, played by Mr. Fernando Santa Fe. We absolutely loved his music and definitely will be coming back to here him play.

• Visited April 2014